Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Is it legal to 'masterkey' a shotgun to a rifle?

Greetings! I'm a frequent visitor here but it's my first time signing up and posting. The forum's informative enough that I haven't had to ask anything before.

I've got an Ithaca 37 and an AK-47. I'm amazed how well the shotgun lines up under the AK. It looks like it would be a simple, though somewhat pricey, task to have a fore grip custom made for the AK that would drop down and secure the shotgun in place.
    So here's my question. Would a stockless or pistol grip 16"+ (EDIT: 18"+? whatever the shortest one is that doesn't require the $200 tax) barreled shotgun secured to the bottom of a rifle be a legal modification? The only issue I can see with legality might be the lack of stock, but it's secured to another rifle so that wouldn't be a problem. I've seen a dual feed .223/12 gauge Crossfire MK-1 at Anthony Arms so apparently having both a shotgun rifle hybrid isn't illegal either.

In regards to why I'd want to try this, if you have to ask you wouldn't understand. I guess the best excuse I can think of is I'm a weight lifter, I like a good heavy gun, and the 75 round drums just aren't doing it for me anymore.
    Last edited by MuzzleFlash; June 26th, 2008 at 06:13 PM.

Default Re: Is it legal to 'masterkey' a shotgun to a rifle?

They're two separate firearms either way. Both of them will have separate receivers and be actuated by separate triggers. If the shotgun was designed originally to be fired from the shoulder then removing its stock isn't going to do anything, and in this special situation I guess you could suggest that the buttstock on the thing you're attaching it to would intend for the shotgun to remain fired from the shoulder.

The above is conjecture but I have no doubt this question has been answered in your favor by the ATF. I would not forget to read up on federal regulations - NFA, GCA, FOPA and the faqs on the ATF's website. I may or may not source those sites sometime tonight for you.

PA does not regulate this kind of assembly on its own.

(Pike County)

I don't remember who, but someone used to put out a kit to mount a Mossy 500 under an AR. I believe that one was used in Predator. The kit was available commercially.

If you mount a gun under a rifle, they both share the same stock. That's why mounting a pistol under your AR-15 creates an SBR in the eyes of ATF, because the pistol has a short barrel and a buttstock.

As long as the shotgun has at least an 18" barrel, you're fine to mount it under an AK. Heavy, though, and very front-end weighted. I mounted a full Rem 870 under an AR-15, just impractical. Cool, though...

You don't have to explain to us....we understand. The full qoutation as I use it to explain why I skydive is....If I have to explain you won't understand, if you understood I wouldn't have to explain.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    I mounted a full Rem 870 under an AR-15, just impractical. Cool, though...
    picture ????

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    picture ????

There are youtube videos, too...

(Allegheny County)

Knights master key setup

To answer OP question you might have a problem because of the over all length of shotgun with stock removed might be less than the min length without qualifying as a AOW ($5 tax stamp), contact AFT in writting for answer to your specfic question

http://www.kitsune.addr.com/Firearms...ey_Shotgun.htm
    Knight Masterkey Shotgun

Several shotgun designs have been modified to be mounted under the barrel of combat rifles or submachineguns. The shotgun is mounted in a similar fashion to the M-203 grade launcher under the M-16. Masterkey shotguns have been mounted under the M-16, M-4, and MP-5 weapons. The Knight masterkey shotgun is one such under rifle mounted shotgun and is primarily designed as a breaching took. That is a weapon designed to blow doors open. As such, the weapon is most commonly used by law enforcement. The shotgun is part of the Knight Corporation's Modular Weapon Concept.

The Knight Masterkey has a short 10 inch barrel and is fairly lightweight at under 6 lbs. Still, a combat rifle or submachinegun can be a fairly heavy combination. The shotgun is punp action and has a three round internal magazine. One more round can be carried in the chamber when needed. Like the M-203 grenade launcher, the recoil is destributed to the host weapon's barrel nut and barrel. It also uses the rifles magazine as the handgrip to fire the shotgun. The shotgun uses an aluminum adapter to simulate the receiver dimensions of the M-203 grenade launcher. The shotgun is designed to be quickly detached and is designed with a special folding butt stock to be used independently.

Weight: 5.5 lbs (2.5 kg) free weight, 9.1 lbs (4.12 kg) assembled to Stand Alone assembly.
    Caliber: 12 Gauge.
    Barrel Length: 10 inches (25.4 cm).
    Overall Length: 16.7 inches (43.2 cm) free length, 29.5 inches (75.0 cm) assembled to Stand Alone assembly with butt-stock extended, & 20.7 inches (52.7 cm) with stock closed.
    Action: Pump Action.
    Mode of Fire: Single shot only.
    Range: 300 ft (90 m).
    Magazine: 3 round internal.
    Cost: 1900
    Made in: USA.
    Special: Lightweight, can be mounted under the barrel of combat rifles and submachines.

18 inch barrels on an 870 receiver is possibly less than 26 inches (maybe 24, although not sure offhand). Just stick something at the back.

Quote Originally Posted by pex View Post
    18 inch barrels on an 870 receiver is possibly less than 26 inches (maybe 24, although not sure offhand). Just stick something at the back.
    Not when mounted under any AR-15. The distance is measured from the back of the buttstock of the combined assembly, to the front. Each barrel has to meet legal length (18" and 16"), plus the overall assembly has to be at least 26".

As I recall, an 18" bbl on the 870 matched up OK with a 20" bbl on the AR, if you put a longer FH on the AR bbl. It's been years since I succumbed to that particular toy, so I may be wrong on that part.

I think someone pointed out that the movie "Predator" features the long version of this, carried by the Indian guy. Of course, the alien killed him anyway...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast