Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: H&R Firearms

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Re: H&R Firearms

figured i'd throw my 2 cents in here.

The gun my dad learned to shoot on, and the one I learned to shoot on is an old H&R .22 "plainsman" rifle. Model 865.

It's a fine little bolt action youth model that has killed nothing but paper. My grandpap gave it to my dad when he was about 14, and he's had it ever since.

For the longest time it was the only gun we ever owned. Until we started hunting at 15 and got deer rifles. We just called it "the gun."

Hopefully it will be the gun I teach my kids to shoot on.

Anyway now it has a broken firing pin. Do you know where I can get one and how easy it is to replace.

I'd also like to get an origional mag for it. IT has an aftermarket mag that dosn't uite fit right. It works, but the old one was like butter.

Thanks for giving the H&R's the "mad props" they deserve.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: H&R Firearms 32 Magnum

Thank you for your quick response to my questions on the 929 "Sidekick", its well appreciated. Inkie

Hi.

I looked at an H&R .22 magnum revolver today. Does anyone know if a .22 LR cylinder can be located for this gun? I may buy it either way, but being able to shoot .22LRs too would really sweeten the deal.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: H&R Firearms .22 magnum

I am pretty sure the H&R is not like the Ruger Convertible Sixes. You can't change the clylinder to .22LR. I am sure others more knowledgeable than I will verify.

(Cambria County)

I have a 632 4 inch probably 95% serial # s13767 I bought for $75.I was wondering about any info you have on it and I heard you can shoot most 32 acp out of it?Thank you

Hello Again Everyone,

I am the guy who had the Model 04 .32 revolver a few pages earlier in the thread. A while ago I took it into the gunsmith to have it serviced. Apparently the sear and a spring were broken and needed to be replaced. The hammer wouldn't stay locked back for single-action shooting before I took it in, but now everything works properly.

I have been shooting the gun for the first time this weekend. I am using .32 S&W (lead round nose) rounds, not .32 S&W Long. So far I have shot about 20 rounds, and I can't seem to even hit a pop can at about 15 feet. I'm no expert marksman, but is this normal for this gun? I am lining up the front sight blade with the groove in the rear of the frame as carefully as I can.

I'm not too concerned because I figure that a gun of this type is really only for point-blank range, but i'm just curious.

Thanks,

Mike

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sage-N-Ross View Post
    Hi.

I looked at an H&R .22 magnum revolver today. Does anyone know if a .22 LR cylinder can be located for this gun? I may buy it either way, but being able to shoot .22LRs too would really sweeten the deal.
    Sorry for the delay in responding.
    H&R made several "combo" models that came from the factory equipped with both .22lr and .22WMRF cylinders - Models 666, 676, 686, 649, 650 and maybe one or two more that I've forgotten. The common theme is that all were/are 6 shot, solid frame, pull pin cylinder release revolvers. Some had a "Western" motif - side loading gate and ejector rod - all were/are SA/DA. If the gun you were looking at, and I presume you purchased it, is one of those models - then yes, you can find another cylinder for it.
    What model did you buy/were you looking at?
    Jim Hauff
    Jim Hauff H&R Collector In memory of my friends Bill Goforth and Jim Ritchie.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by DougX View Post
    I have a 632 4 inch probably 95% serial # s13767 I bought for $75.I was wondering about any info you have on it and I heard you can shoot most 32 acp out of it?Thank you
    Again, sorry for the delay in responding.
    The Model 632, is a 6 shot, pull pin cylinder, solid frame, DA/SA revolver. One with the letter prefix 'S' was made in 1956. This model was introduced around 1952-53. The model was produced with both 2.5" and 4" barrels with a blue finish. Grip panels were variously stag, white or black "nylon" material, with the color changing during the production span. Yours probably has the stag or marbled colored grip panels. $75 for an example in 95% is a better than reasonable price. The gun was designed to shoot either .32S&W or .32S&W Long cartridges. This cartride operates at a chamber pressure of under 14,000 psi. The .32 ACP cartridge operates closer to 20,000 psi or higher. If you shoot .32 ACP cartridges - which may fit and may fire - what you are doing is firing higher than proof test cartridge loadings and the results may be as mild as stretching the frame or as extreme as a catastrophic failure of the cylinder. I would STRONGLY recommend that the H&R guns manufactured to handle .32 S&W or .32 S&WL cartridges be fed ONLY those cartridges.
    Jim Hauff

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by exquisiteoaf View Post
    Hello Again Everyone,

I am the guy who had the Model 04 .32 revolver a few pages earlier in the thread. ....

I have been shooting the gun for the first time this weekend. I am using .32 S&W (lead round nose) rounds, not .32 S&W Long. So far I have shot about 20 rounds, and I can't seem to even hit a pop can at about 15 feet. I'm no expert marksman, but is this normal for this gun? I am lining up the front sight blade with the groove in the rear of the frame as carefully as I can. ...

Mike
    Mike,
    You are shooting a gun that is at least 90 years old, of unknown previous use, and never intended to be a "target grade" firearm. I have shot several H&R firearms made in the middle 1930's - won't shoot anything older than that personally - and have found the accuracy to be quite spotty - with the .22 cal guns to be exceptional - while the .32 and .38 chambered guns to be awful to average. If I may suggest: shoot your Model 04 at paper at that distance and see how far off from POA is the POI. It was not uncommon for shooters to file down or bend the fixed front sights on handguns of that era - yours may not be an exception - but also another thought - the rifling, which is generally quite deeply cut on those guns, may be pretty well leaded up - and therefore need a good de-leading to achieve the "optimal" accuracy possible with these "belly gun", short range self defense firearms.

Just for informational purposes: The 29th Edition of the "Blue Book of Gun Values" by S. Fjestad will shortly be hitting the shelves. For those of you interested in H&R firearms - the H&R Section has been completely rewritten and there are new valuations applied. This rewrite is the "definitive" authority on H&R firearms identification and valuation to date and makes all the other source books and guides obsolete.
    Jim Hauff
    Last edited by 32 Magnum; April 27th, 2008 at 05:40 PM.

(Northampton County)

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast