Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: H&R Firearms

Default Re: H&R Firearms

I have an old H&R double action, top break revolver. This is a 6" nickle plated, gun marked "22 RIM FIRE" on the left side of the barrel. The cylinder holds 7 rounds. Hammer, trigger and trigger guard are blue. The top strap is marked: (top line)"Harrington & Richardson Gun Company" (bottom line) Worchester, Mass, U.S.A. Pat Oct, 8, 1895". The serial number is 397175. This gun had solid Mother of Pearl grips until my Brother-in-law banged them on something. I think I can repair these if I can find all the pieces. Can you tell me what I have, and if there are parts available for this gun? Somewhere during it's life, the hing pin and parts that caused the extractor to function were lost. I think that if I can locate these parts, this gun will be tight enough to shoot.

(Northampton County)

IDAHO MIKE,
    You have a 2nd Model, 3rd Variation "PREMIER", small frame. This variation is identified by the single Patent date included in the top rib roll stamp. It was offered between 1909 - 1913. it was offered in 5 shot .32 S&W or 7 shot .22 rimfire (short or long), with 2" (BICYCLE version), 3" (standard), 4", 5", 6" barrel lengths. The standard finish is Nickel plate, with Blued finish being some what scarce. The 6" barrel is the second most easily found barrel length. The standard grip panels were black hard rubber with the H&R "Target" logo or factory special order black hard rubber, wrap around and extended "target type" or mother-of-pearl (factory fitted and usually marked with last 3 or 4 digits of the s/n in pencil on underside of both).
    Parts are somewhat difficult to find. Try the Numrich Gun Parts site:
    http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...spx?catid=7954
    this one has a schematic listed: http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...spx?catid=7941 You may have to call one of their techs/reps to make sure you get the parts that you need. Numrich's descriptions of models is not always accurate.
    I've seen very few MOP grip panels offered on the gun auction sites. They may be very difficult to find. If you get your piece up and running, I suggest firing nothing hotter than standard loads - your cylinder MAY be long enough to accomodate .22 lr cartridges.
    Good luck. Any more questions, please ask.

Jim Hauff, H&R Collector and Researcher
    Jim Hauff H&R Collector In memory of my friends Bill Goforth and Jim Ritchie.

32 Magnum:

Thanks for the information. This gun is in very good shape other then needing the missing parts replaced. The nickel is probably 85 to 90%.

By the way, I had a 10" TC barrel in .32 H&R Mag. I loved it. Easy to load for it, I was using the 110 grain half jacket bullets for the .30 M1 carbine. (TC used the .308 bore). This barrel was very accurate, and I shot NRA Pistol Silhouette with it. I was dumb and traded it for a barrel in .357 Max. I never could get this barrel to shoot worth a darn.

(Northampton County)

You're welcome, Mike. Glad to be helpful. AND, thanks for thanking.

(Armstrong County)

Could you offer any advice on a model 88 youth 20ga 3"magnum. I Picked one up of $75. Its in good condition, 98% blueing remains, shoots well. Did I get a good deal? lol

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by thetruepyromaniak View Post
    Could you offer any advice on a model 88 youth 20ga 3"magnum. I Picked one up of $75. Its in good condition, 98% blueing remains, shoots well. Did I get a good deal? lol
    The Model 88 (known in the catalogues as the Model 088 and called "The American Classic" after 1982) was made between 1979 -1986. The "Junior" version was offered, during the same time frame, in 20 ga. and .410 bore, only, and had a shorter stock (12.75" LOP vs 13.75" standard). From your description of your piece (98%) would indicate EXCELLENT condtion, examples in this condition, have been recently selling at retail in the range $125 to $145. The Model 88 was the evolutionary descendant of the H&R Model 1908, first manufactured circa 1909. I'd say you did pretty well, IF your piece is in proper working order and you are happy with your purchase.
    Last edited by 32 Magnum; October 5th, 2010 at 11:50 AM.

(Armstrong County)

it works great, I had it to the range on saturday. I plan to refinish the stock and give it to my boy as a christmas present. Thanks for the info.

(Schuylkill County)

32 Mag PM sent.

(Armstrong County)

I refinished that model 88, it looks great, I refinished the stock, it looked so good, it made the barrell look bad, then I went back and refinished the barrell with alumihide. Gun looks great, it should really make my son happy on christmas morning

(Armstrong County)

pictures as soon as I find my little camera

Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast