Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: H&R Firearms

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: H&R Firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Lakedog685 View Post
    Greetings, glad to find this H & R forum! Perhaps someone could lend a hand?

I have recently inherited an H & R "Sportster" Model 250 .22 Cal long rifle.
    The serial number is: 1294. It is bolt action, with a magazine.
    Can anyone tell me when it was made?

We assume my Grandfather probably bought it sometime in the 1940's...As kids, seems my Dad and his older brothers used to hunt squirrels with it.

Unfortunately, the stock has a major crack running through and through it, and I can't seem to find a replacement stock online anywhere. Does anyone have an idea where I might find a stock?

Thanks, Regards, and God Bless!!
    I have no idea as to when it was made, but here is a stock for $44+change+S&H.

http://gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Deta...860&catid=7982
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

Found this thread off in the internet...
    Moving back east to the burgh so stopped in ohio to help my ma paint and other such tasks she saves up for when her kids come to visit.
    Found this old H&R single shot 12guage that has apparently been kicking around for years. It appears to be missing a "top leaver" (the part used to open the action). I have been looking on line for information about this firearm. Found multiple posts on forums about serial numbers. This one has only numbers and no letter prefix. It is five digits and starts 271**. Again no letter prefix.
    I will attempt to post pictures later (like I said I am in the process of moving most of my stuff camera included is packed).
    Basically I would like to fix this firearm if it is modern enough to be safe. Figure it could be a project to keep me busy for a bit. Just looking for ideas and information if anyone has any...
    Thanks in advance.
    -A
    No matter who you vote for the government always gets in.

(Northampton County)

There are two variations of the Model 250 Sportster, one with standard stepped adjustable rear sight and one with a Lyman No. 5SH adj. peep sight. I believe the stocks for both are identical - just a difference in rear sight. Both were offered in the H&R catalogues from 1948 - 1950 (or there abouts.)
    Jim Hauff, H&R Collector
    Jim Hauff H&R Collector In memory of my friends Bill Goforth and Jim Ritchie.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Autonomous View Post
    Found this old H&R single shot 12guage that has apparently been kicking around for years. It appears to be missing a "top leaver" (the part used to open the action). I have been looking on line for information about this firearm. Found multiple posts on forums about serial numbers. This one has only numbers and no letter prefix. It is five digits and starts 271**. Again no letter prefix.
    -A
    Pictures will certainly help, especially of the left side of the receiver/frame, the hinge and any marking on top of the barrel. Where did you find the serial number, on the trigger guard rear tang or on the left side of frame?
    Jim Hauff

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 32 Magnum View Post
    Pictures will certainly help, especially of the left side of the receiver/frame, the hinge and any marking on top of the barrel. Where did you find the serial number, on the trigger guard rear tang or on the left side of frame?
    Jim Hauff
    Sorry still no pictures...gotta fined a camera. Left side of the frame has plain printing patent dates and that.
    on top of hinge pin:
    PAT FEB 20&27 1900
    PAT MAY 14, 1901

in the middle of the left side receiver:
    HARRINGTON & RICHARDSON ARMS CO
    WORCESTER MASS PAT FEB 20&27 1901

the serial number is located on the trigger guard rear tang and again on the left side of the barrel a little more than an inch behind where the hinge pin hole is located.

Thanks for looking. I will dig up a camera soon. Moving is the pits...
    -A
    No matter who you vote for the government always gets in.

(Northampton County)

Autonomous,
    That helps define the model. You have one of two models, both large frames. First choice is Model 1900 -if the hinge pin is removable (it will have a small toggle on top that turns 1/4 to remove the pin and break down) and a screw attached forestock; OR
    a Model 1908 -if the hinge pin is fixed and break down is effected by pulling off the forestock. In either case, the top lever appears, from examples in my collection, to be identical. You can probably find what you need at www.e-gunparts.com, the Numrich site. Go there and click into the Harrington & Richardson section, then find the model and then view the list of available parts.

Dodge,
    The serial number should be found on the left side of the receiver, in the second line of the manufacturer's stampings - right after the address block. It should start with two letters in prefix.
    I just discovered on Sunday where the SN is on my 158 20g. Once the fore stock is removed and the barrel removed from it's pivot pin the number is on the front of the receiver/frame. It can't be seen unless the barrel is removed. The forestock lug blocks it from view.

I asked about SN's in reference to this gun in another thread, I wanted to know just how old this mint condition gun is. So now I have something to go on...finally.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Washington County)

AZZY - I know this is long overdue and somewhat dated - I apologize .... Your gun is "most likely" a model 1908. If so it should have a splinter type removable fore stock. If the forestock is screw attached to the barrel and there is a toggle head, removable hinge pin, it is a model 1900. Serial numbers starting with 'A' prefix - most likely indicates Model '08...
    Not a problem! in fact, Its still sitting, in pieces, covered in light oil until I can get to it again.

Forarm is removable, and somewhat splintered

The SN starts with A72XXX. Am I able to find parts for it still? It has a spring that was cracked, and finding a good set of wood might be in order, although a repair is more likely.

My only H&R is a 1978 Top-break Model 999, .22. A sweet shooter!
    Attached Images Attached Images

32 Magnum,

Hi. I'm hoping you can help me. I was trying to do some internet research on a H&R handgun I have. I found this post and thought maybe you can help. I have a H&R 22 Special, "22 rimfire" is on the right side of barrel. It is a 7 shot break top revolver. The serial numer is 504***.

Is this a 22 long rifle or 22 WRF ? The cylinder is not recessed and it has an auto-ejector.

I've found some serial number info, but the numbers I've found start well after what I have.

Any info you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Vince

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast