Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Concealed Lic & Hunting

I was wondering if one possesses a CCW and would like to go hunting with a hand gun is it necessary to also have applied for a hunting gun permit. I noticed that when applying for my CCW there was a box to check for hunting.
    Do I need to apply for a second license to hunt with a hand gun.

Default Re: Consealed Lic & Hunting

The way I understand it is this.

If its a manually operated handgun...like a revolver. You don't need anything because you can hunt with that in PA. Whether it be for defense or not.

If its an auto loader....then you need your LTCF and you can NOT use it for dispatching game. Its for defense only.

I recently started small game hunting again. I printed up the statute saying it was legal in PA to keep in my pocket in case I encounter a thug warden.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Franky4Fingers View Post
    The way I understand it is this.

If its a manually operated handgun...like a revolver. You don't need anything because you can hunt with that in PA. Whether it be for defense or not.

If its an auto loader....then you need your LTCF and you can NOT use it for dispatching game. Its for defense only.

I recently started small game hunting again. I printed up the statute saying it was legal in PA to keep in my pocket in case I encounter a thug warden.
    Rest assured we know what the game laws are and what is a legal hunting weapon, Thug Warden? Were you not just asking a question if you could hunt on Christmas? Before you accuse the WCO's of not knowing hunting laws I suggest you learn them yourself. Or at least know how to look them up in the Hunting Digest that comes with every license.
    Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

John F Kennedy.

Quote Originally Posted by WCO,R.W.J View Post
    Rest assured we know what the game laws are and what is a legal hunting weapon, Thug Warden? Were you not just asking a question if you could hunt on Christmas? Before you accuse the WCO's of not knowing hunting laws I suggest you learn them yourself. Or at least know how to look them up in the Hunting Digest that comes with every license.
    Ok, I need to ask you something.
    This came up at work this week.
    A co-worker is planning on going out for late archery, and want's to carry a SA .22 for squirrels.

Is this legal?

I told him, he would need to have orange to hunt SG, where archery, it is not required.

(Washington County)

When archery hunting for deer the only firearm you may have is you protection firearm, If he wanted to hunt Squirrels he would have to put the bow in the car and put on the 250 sq inches of Flo Orange.
    Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

John F Kennedy.

When archery hunting for deer the only firearm you may have is you protection firearm, If he wanted to hunt Squirrels he would have to put the bow in the car and put on the 250 sq inches of Flo Orange.
    That's what I thought, but was not 100% sure.

Thanks.

Yes, I asked about hunting on Christmas.......what the hell does that have to do with carrying a CCW?

I picked no fight with you, you started with me, Sir. My statement was hypothetical. Is it not hypothetically possible for a WCO to be abusive? THAT is why I am carrying the print out. Just in case. I'll thank you to cool down a bit.

EDIT: I can't help but chuckle a bit when I think of this post. How many posts are on here about cops assuring the people they are abusing that they "know the law" Some cases they do know the law, yet break it to fill their own agenda (ask Pa Patriot), or they THINK they know the law, but don't. Theres a video online of a guy in Ohio being illegally detained and the cop is on video saying that they know the law. Obviously, they didn't. I think that guy is federally suing that police force. Plus, also keep in mind. As far as me knowing the law....I'm a regular citizen, I'm not paid to know the law. LEO's are.
    Last edited by Franky4Fingers; December 23rd, 2009 at 10:39 PM.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Foresthunter View Post
    I was wondering if one possesses a CCW and would like to go hunting with a hand gun is it necessary to also have applied for a hunting gun permit. I noticed that when applying for my CCW there was a box to check for hunting.
    Do I need to apply for a second license to hunt with a hand gun.
    No, your LTCF covers you when hunting.

(Carbon County)

If he wants to hunt squirrel and deer at the same time wear orange and use the bow to shoot both. Squirrels are a real challenge to shoot with the bow but it is fun.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Franky4Fingers View Post
    Yes, I asked about hunting on Christmas.......what the hell does that have to do with carrying a CCW?

I too was a bit irked by your response to the OP. In your recent post when you asked about hunting on Christmas you clearly pointed out that you choose not to research these types of matters on your own. You also demonstrated that you really do not understand even the basics of the game laws (season and bag limits), yet you then felt qualified to provide another member guidance on concealed carry while hunting.

While the information you provided was correct I can only guess (internet forum?) where you researched this information. If the information provided was incorrect the outcome could have been bad for the OP.

EDIT: ....I'm a regular citizen, I'm not paid to know the law. LEO's are.
    As citizen I do believe it is your responsibility to "know" the game laws so that when you exercise your privilege (hunting) you can do so in a safe and responsible manner. I for one am not a expert, but choose to research and ask questions when I am unsure.

I for one appreciate WCO RWJ for commenting on these matters.
    Last edited by spagluvx; December 24th, 2009 at 02:20 PM. Reason: My comments in red. I still can not multi-quote....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast