Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default New (But Old) Sig 226 - Any Sig Experts Out there?

So I just purchased ($499.00) this great Sig P226 at the VF Gun Show. Problem is I dont know a whole heck of a lot about Sig's. I'll post pics in the very near future but I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge on this particular model.

It has a Stainless Slide and what I believe to be OD green frame. The Proof mark is JJ which I have since learned meant that it was proofed in 1988. The serial numbers suggests this to be true from a post I reviewed on Sig Forum. I even called Sig and they said they had no record of the serial number. They were however able to say they "think" it was imported in the late 80's by looking at similar serial numbers on micro fiche...lol Late 80's is a loong time ago. Longer than I expected when I bought it. To make tings worse, I havent been able to shoot it yet!!! I have no worries though because the gun feels amazing in my hand, the mag release is positioned perfectly, I really like the DA/SA action and its a SIG.

Thing is, I'm not sure if SIG manufactured any models with the OD green frame back then. Does anyone know? In fact, what little research I have been able to do suggests that they didnt even import guns with stainless slides back then either.

So, my basic question is, what do I have? Can anyone tell me anything more about my new toy? Is it some frankenstein project that someone else decided they didnt want to deal with anymore or is my new (old) SIG still something special. I tend to think the latter is true but wanted to get the collective wisdom of the group to weigh in.

Default Re: New (But Old) Sig 226 - Any Sig Experts Out there?

From Wikipedia:

Manufacture

SIG firearms are manufactured both in Germany and in Exeter, New Hampshire, United States.

The standard P226 has a stainless steel slide and an aluminum frame. Originally, the P226's slide was composed of three different pieces of carbon steel that were bent into shape using a mandrel. Beginning in 1996, production was shifted to CNC machining, and the slide was made from a single piece of stainless steel. This resulted in a stronger slide, which was necessary to chamber the more powerful .40 S&W and .357SIG cartridges. The P226 uses a modified version of the Browning-style lockup system. This modified system was devised by SIG, and has since been copied by numerous firearm manufacturers.[2]
    The frame may have come from SIG OD, or it may have been done after-market, which is often the case with pistols that are beginning to show their wear. If I were you, I'd drop into Classic Pistol on a weekday, and let their gunsmith take a look at it. He's SIG-knowledgeable. SIG also offers, or at least offered, a great deal on renovation of used SIGs, including new night sights and fresh springs for around $140 and shipping, last I knew.

ETA: COuld have been a contract over-run: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...Number=1277643
    Last edited by King 5.45; December 23rd, 2009 at 06:25 PM.

(Bucks County)

This is just my opinion but i think the frame was refinished because it was showing its age. I am sure you have a great pistol but it sounds like it was refinished.

Another place you can contact is In Sight Firearms 610 630 7407. They are off of Ridge Pike

As was pointed out, the SS slides didn't come into being until 1996. There are many devotees (myself included) that prefer the "folded" slides to the milled SS. Your slide may have also been replaced. Easy to tell whether SS or folded. The folded slides have a separate, pinned-in breech block and a flat milled into the top of the slide in front of the ejection port. SS slides are one piece and the contour of the top of the slide is consistent along its length. They also used a roll pin through the slide rather than a solid pin. Folded slide guns are lighter and seem to balance better IMHO. Congrats on a great purchase, regardless of color. Enjoy.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Montgomery County)

King 5.45, your not going to believe this but the link you posted has teh exact gun I purchased. Exact. Take a look, its teh 2nd and 3rd picture posted by S&J Refinishing. While I can't quitre make out the serial numbers in the pic, I know its the exact pistol because of the very slight nicks on the slide in the first pic (I compared and they are identical to whats on my new SIG), the wear pattern on the mag release and mag itself. Wow. Ask and ye shall receive! Thanks so much!

I guess that answers that question...it was refinished in OD green using Duracoat. Pizza Bob, thanks for the heads up...While I'm pretty sure its a folded slide, I'll check to make sure tonight. And, given what you saiod about the first SS slides not coming until 96, if I find that it is indeed a folded slide then we know it was refinished as well. Not sure in what though....from the pic, does it look like it was Nickeled or something else...

Would love to know more about the history of the gun...maybe whether LE's used it...how many owners etc...

Regardless, I'm really happy. My first SIG and I think I'm starting to know why there are so many devotees as you say.

I'm off etween Christmas and New Years so I definately plan on heading over to Classic Pistol to have it looked over and shoot it. Can't wait.

Last few questions, do these older models fit todays Kydex P226 paddle holsters? Also, if shooting IDPA of IPSC, how would you prep the pistol? This is my first DA/SA so I'm not sure. Would I rack the slide and leave it in SA to esure I have the short pull? Or, would I rack the slide and place it in DA to ensure safety and just deal with the long pull on the first shot. How do/would you guys do it?
    Last edited by speedseeker; December 24th, 2009 at 11:03 AM.

(Montgomery County)

The gunsmith at Classic Pistol is John Robinson and he works usually (non holidays) Monday to Friday 9-5.

Does the slide say "Made in W. Germany" on it. If so, it is the stamped slide (folded is a way to describe the process, but the manufacturing term is stamped).

Shoot the piss out of it and enjoy a fine German machine...
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Montgomery County)

Steve_NE Phil, Yes it does. ItSays Made in West Germany and it looks like it was imported to Herndon verses Exeter. There we have it...refinished slide and frame. Still not sure "what" was done to the slide....stripping of the blueing only, Nickeling or whatever....All I know is its Silver at the moment an d it looks good to me either way...just happy to be a SIG owner. And yes, I'll be shooting the piss out of it...yiou can bet your arse.

(Montgomery County)

Pictures will help figure out exactly what you might have.

The big contradiction here is the "JJ" proof mark and a Stainless slide.
    The proof mark is located on the front "chin" of the slide.

I've never seen a milled slide (stainless) with proof marks. Only guns assembled in Germany have date proofs on them. Any Sigs assembled here in the US do not have proofs.

The stainless (or milled or solid) slides where originally designed to handle the higher pressures of the .40S&W
    They were first used in the production P229 which was chambered for the .40S&W round, then later for the .357sig and 9mm round.
    Sig then began using the milled slide on the P220 and P226 for all calibers in and around 1996. The P239 always used a milled slide.

OD colored framed Sigs are relatively new. They've only been around from the factory for the last two or three years.

Does your frame have a rail??

Holsters will be the same.
    The only difference is whether or not the gun has a light / accessory rail on it. Guns without rails will fit in railed holsters, but not the other way around.

Please post some pictures when you get a chance.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

(Montgomery County)

OK - just read the post above my first.

Your gun is not a milled or stainless slide gun. All W.German Sigs used stamped slides.
    Last edited by 1blindref; December 24th, 2009 at 04:26 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by speedseeker View Post
    ? Also, if shooting IDPA of IPSC, how would you prep the pistol? This is my first DA/SA so I'm not sure. Would I rack the slide and leave it in SA to esure I have the short pull? Or, would I rack the slide and place it in DA to ensure safety and just deal with the long pull on the first shot. How do/would you guys do it?
    When shooting IDPA with a DA/SA gun, the gun MUST be decocked with the first shot being DA

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast