Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default S&W 500 ES BUG Worthy?

Ok, i'm sure everyone here by now knows I'm a big fan of big bore guns. Now I've been wanting and looking at the S&W 500. I was just checking the price on gunbroker this morning and I saw this.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...m=77711061#PIC

My only thought is, and I dont know if anyone here has used one. How much of a beast is that to control??? lol.

I'm always looking for the deal, and if that is actually manageable it would give me my 500 and a BUG at the same time for if I want to carry a BUG. Even if not, I may still have to just pick it up for the flame it must spit out.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: S&W 500 ES BUG Worthy?

totally impractical for self defense and at 3.5lbs it would make a miserable BUG. I've fired the 4" compensated version and if kicked pretty good.

If you buy it, buy it for the novelty.

(Westmoreland County)

Holy Cow! That would be a handful...I'd shoot it, though. It would be a fun gun for me...not for carry!

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Chester County)

Supposedly it's not too bad with Corbon's .500 Special loads. 275gr. DPX bullet at about 1250 fps is .44 mag + country.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rule10b5 View Post
    Supposedly it's not too bad with Corbon's .500 Special loads. 275gr. DPX bullet at about 1250 fps is .44 mag + country.
    Right, but it's that a lot like buying a 10mm instead of a 40 then shooting only watered down loads? Why buy the 50?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
    Right, but it's that a lot like buying a 10mm instead of a 40 then shooting only watered down loads? Why buy the 50?
    cause for fun you can get the big loads. weight isn't an issue when I'm carrying so was basically just looking at an added value of having a bug for when I want to carry a bug. Sounds like it might be a go as the price is right.

Remember primary reason of getting the 500 was for fun, seeing this version just gave it some added value, my XD is still my primary carry weapon.

I carry the 4" 500 w/ the 2800ft/lb Winchester Platinum tips

The recoil is huge but manageable, I hope in a few months it gets easier

When I first got my 44mag Alaskan stepping up from 45acp I thought "Wow huge
    recoil". A few months of shooting it I am up to the Doubletap +P 300gr
    1500ft/lbs of energy and its quite boring. So I said lets try the 500.
    I shorted qqqq at 50.20 and made some "fun money" and picked one up.

I think Mas Ayoob said "Get the most power HG you can handle" or something
    like that.

The upside is you get a 1 shot stop, the temporal cavity will be HUGE. You
    should see what happens to the stuff it hits, the human body will be PULVERIZED!

In no way is this gun bug worthy, wait until you see one in person 2inch barrel or not you're carrying a huge brick, it would be feasable to OC, or under a large winter jacket, but theres no IWB and t-shirt going on with this gun.. With that said I dont believe its totally impractical to carry one of these, I believe its just a different style. How many times have you heard of a perp getting hit with a 9mm round and he just keeps going? so 2 or 3more rounds and hopefully he's down? that kinda sorta goes away with a 500grain bullet, IMO if your gonna carry this and sarcrifice the quick 2nd shot and such you need to make it worth your while and use what the gun was designed for, not a huge kicking 44mag. and frankly I dont see someone that has a little .380 sticking around after his friend just splattered all over him

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Thaigirl Hunter View Post
    I think Mas Ayoob said "Get the most power HG you can handle" or something
    like that.
    That's only half the quote, the rest is "then practice your ass off" How many thousands of rounds have you put through your 500 as it is your primary carry gun?

The upside is you get a 1 shot stop, the temporal cavity will be HUGE. You
    should see what happens to the stuff it hits, the human body will be PULVERIZED!
    even with the almighty 500, the only thing that's going to get you a one shot stop is a direct hit to the central nervous system. Temporary cavity is not a significant wounding mechanism flesh is elastic and rebounds almost immediately. Only the permanent cavity is left. Human bodies don't get pulverized by bullets short of a howitzer.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Thaigirl Hunter View Post
    The upside is you get a 1 shot stop, the temporal cavity will be HUGE. You should see what happens to the stuff it hits, the human body will be PULVERIZED!
    It is true that "you get a 1 shot stop" if you hit the central nervous system. A brain-stem shot is a 1 shot stop. Shot placement determines the potential of achieving a "1 shot stop."
    NRA Member
    GOA Life Member
    Moderator on www.m4carbine.net

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast