Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The 'Burg-Northern Berks County, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

Thumbs down Bass Pro Harrisburg,PA

So i finally stopped in on my drive home from York and went to the gun dept.
    Bruce(firearms mgr) and Jim(store manager) asked to help me- was not crowded yet.

I asked if they had any FNAR-hvy barrels in stock (on my wish list).....Jim got an odd expression - and Bruce said:
    "That is too tactical for us------Corporate does not want to deal with tactical looking guns and scaring customers"

I commented that perhaps BassPro should switch to selling toiletries, incontinence products and herbal teas.................they laughed and said the business does fine as is.

I noted that a few discussion boards would hear of their position- they did not appear concerned.

(York County)

Default Re: Bass Pro Harrisburg,PA

They don't care.

Their name is not billy-bobs ubertacticoolsecondamendmentmallninja'swetdream shootin' place.

It's Bass Pro Shop and Outdoor World. Note the first word in the name is a fish. They sell fishing stuff, hunting stuff, camping stuff, clothes, boats, and cheesy housewares, mostly at pretty stiff prices. It's not a gun store, and their target market is middle/upper middle class soccer moms/dads who want to feel "outdoorsy".

My fishing crazed/addicted buddies love the fishing department. I think of them as a neutered/watered down Cabela's. Gunnies are not their target market, or critical to their business. Don't sweat it.
    9mm = 45acp set on "stun"

(Lancaster County)

Customer service and competitive pricing (on everything, not just firearms/accessories) do not seem to be a priority with Basspro. Maybe the managers know something I don't, but they never seem to be very busy. The overhead on the place must be enormous, that may explain the pricing but not the poor attitude towards customers.

As said above, BAss pro is for fishing. However I still felt similar I went to bass pro for both fishing and hunting stuff. I was surprised by the firearms sections and the lack of supply.

Cabelas on the other hand firearms section is large and stocked. Depends on what your looking for depends on where you go i suppose.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by sjohn26 View Post
    So i finally stopped in on my drive home from York and went to the gun dept.
    Bruce(firearms mgr) and Jim(store manager) asked to help me- was not crowded yet.

I asked if they had any FNAR-hvy barrels in stock (on my wish list).....Jim got an odd expression - and Bruce said:
    "That is too tactical for us------Corporate does not want to deal with tactical looking guns and scaring customers"

I commented that perhaps BassPro should switch to selling toiletries, incontinence products and herbal teas.................they laughed and said the business does fine as is.

I noted that a few discussion boards would hear of their position- they did not appear concerned.
    That place is a destination that people travel from all over the midstate to get to. When it opened there was a huge number of people clogging up the roads to get there. I looked at guns up there but the prices were a bit too high for me. They did have some nice guns I thought.

I would imagine that they have done some market research. Being Harrisburg if they stocked anything like what you are suggesting the Patriot-News would be running articles about them stocking the weapons preferred by drug dealers. I'm not kidding. I just don't think they could do it. It really is a lose-lose with them. They are trying to make money and stay out of the papers.

(Dauphin County)

Thumbs down Re: Bass Pro Harrisburg,PA

All Bass Pro is good for is clothes and fishing stuff, and not much good for either of those.

(Cumberland County)

I had exactly the same experience as sjohn26.
    What is really ironic is that I was looking at the FN Five-seveNŽ Tactical pistol they had in the guncase. I happened to ask if they had the P90 series rifles to go with the pistol. That is when the guy behind the counter launched into his schtick about them "not being tactical". Excuse me but the pistol I was looking at is! I commented that it was odd not to have the rifle when they did have the pistol. He then said as long as the owners cut him a check every two weeks he did not care.
    I will never buy a firearm from fishPro.
    Support your local gunshop.
    The little guy deserves it!

(Lebanon County)

If you want to handle a Ps90 - check out the Gander Mtn in Harrisburg - but please don't even begin to slightly, possibly, if the moon is full, entertain buying it.

They want an insane $2000 for it. BUT, you can hold it, and oh yeah, it feels nice.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post
    If you want to handle a Ps90 - check out the Gander Mtn in Harrisburg - but please don't even begin to slightly, possibly, if the moon is full, entertain buying it.

They want an insane $2000 for it. BUT, you can hold it, and oh yeah, it feels nice.
    Lol. I've been in the Harrisburg Gander Mountain and looked. The Ps90 is a sweet little number... The price is another issue altogether. Gander Mt also has used handguns, sonething Bass Pro definately does not. They are severly lacking pistol ammo though.

(Berks County)

I stopped going to Bass Pro years ago after they sopped putting C&R's on that little rack out front of the gun counter. Last time I went into Gander Mountain I never got past the front doors. Some guy off to the left asked me if I had a gun in my Versipak, then they wanted to ziptie and keep my pistol. SEE YAAA!!
    Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast