Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default Re: Is anyone else tired of seeing unrealistic hunting shows?

I refuse to watch..unless it is some African big game hunt..then I can drift into total daydream mode. Tread Barta is the only show I even attempt to watch and now he is wheeled but I do love his show! I think I'd watch him even though he's paralized..I can relate to his mind-set.

TV "hunts", and I use that term lightly, are completely insane. 95% of the time it's shooting. Picking an animal from a distance and getting within shooting distance somewhere over a food plot that even a 4 year old could hit and then watch the animal run forever.

This hunting season my buddy shot at a deer at well over 400 yards. Had it been a level shot I know that he would have killed the deer. However it was 400+ yards away and 50-75 yards below us. The deer bolted and from what I saw he had made a hit. We moved immediately due to the fact we were hunting next to an active strip job and didn't want to lose the deer on property we couldn't go on period. When reaching a spot roughly 100 yards from where we saw the deer the first time the buck suddenly appeared 35 yards in front of us. We knew it was the same deer as it was the only deer we had seen all morning and was the only spike on the property. He double-lunged and hearted the thing with some reloaded ammo I had done. The .30-06 SSTs liquefied the lungs and heart. The deer spasmed jumped and proceeded to roll 50 feet down a hill. Luckily it hit a fallen log and stuck. We dragged the deer 2 miles. 1 uphill and 1 downhill. Thankfully in that order. We never once used a vehicle to even get close to our rock.

After hunting the same area for a week we determined where a shootable deer would be and determined that our freezer would no longer be empty. No one took us to a stand that had been baited with a food plot where a guide had not let anyone hunt and knew there would be deer. I prefer hunting in the woods to shooting on the television.
    If only ammo was cheap. Wait. I reload. Darn .22 lr.

They are what they are. I take them at face value. I will think of them this Saturday while I am trying to find fresh tracks in the deep snow to put on a stalk with the flint lock.
    Jules

(Allegheny County)

I watch people shoot deer on TV who glass deer with binos at 100-200 yards.....with 8x binos.....when they have a 9x+ scope.

Lycanoneman'srantthrope[/QUOTE]

I would recommend this a very good practice if time permits.

If the animal is out at a distance where using the naked eye you can not visually identify the target (count the points) the next step should be to glass the animal to identify the target. If after using the binos I have identified that this is a legal animal, I would then shoulder my rifle, re verify that the animal is legal, remove safety, and take the shot.

I would happen to believe that a firearm should not be leveled on the animal unless I have first identified the target (count the points) either using the naked eye or binos.

This is of course what has made the antler restrictions so difficult for me.

(Centre County)

ALL TV shows of this type, from "This Old House" to "Iron Chef" to"The Amazing Race" to "Fishin' with Jim-Bob" are totally contrived and cater to poseurs and wannabees.
    I can't stand 'em, but the market is saturated with 'em.

(Allegheny County)

Hey Lyc

Good thread and some good points were made here!

However I think "SandCut" hit it on the head.

You are watching a 30min info-mercial to sell___________fill in the blank,,, where they shoot_________fill in the blank.

My old buddy used to watch fishing,,,yep fishing! I would think this ain't fishing. Then I saw the J/D bottle tucked way down in the corner underneath the life preserver. Suddenly they were "fishing"!

A ??? you can't hunt on Sunday in PA?

http://www.fhfh.org/Home.asp
    Careful some of those Zombies could be Americans!

(Bucks County)

One of the last shows on Outdoor channel I saw a young kid take a beautiful buck standing in a food plot while shooting from inside a ~10X14' storage shed. It had two windows facing the plot, one for him to rest his rifle on the ledge and the other for the guide to glass out of and call the shot. They didn't even have to whisper...Changed the channel, that's just not my thing...

I got tired of watching those obvious re-enactment scenes that were filmed after the hunt was done but they want us to believe it was filmed as it happened! The biggest thing that turned me off was watching Larry Weishun hunting on a fenced in property here in PA. but they wanted was to believe that it was a fair chase hunt. I used to enjoy reading his articles and will continue to do so, but not with the same thoughts as before.

(Northampton County)

Saw one just today. This guy is hunting bear with a crossbow from the ground. Shoots a bear at about 25-30 yards over a 55 gal drum of bait, turns to the camera all proud and excited and says "that bear came out of nowhere." ??? Say what?? I changed the channel.

That show had me actually rooting for the bear.

Plinker
    My dog "Ruger" is worried about the economy because Alpo is up to $3.00 a can. That's almost $21.00 in dog money.

Pray for our troops....and a little extra for our snipers.

(Armstrong County)

I hate them too. I was just watching the bucks of tecomate, in the second commercial break they advertised the fences that they use............. What sport is in that??? It would be like shooting cows that sleep in your barn and you feed them every day!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast