Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transport rules

Default Transport rules

I know it's legal to transport my weapon to/from the range/gunsmith if the weapon is locked up, the ammo is locked up, and the two are physically separated (right?). It dawned on me that folks who ride motorcycles may have a problem transporting "separated", since there's no way to actually physically separate the weapon and the ammo. How would one deal with this? I know, I know... no one's giving me legal advice, I'm responsible for my own actions, etc etc. It's more of a curiosity than anything.

Thanks, in advance!

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Transport rules

Nothing has to be "locked up" only seperated.

What type of "weapon" are you talking about, a handgun or a rifle?

How are you planning on transporting either one on a motorcycle?

Why can't the handgun and ammo be seperated?

If I were going to the range and didn't have a LTC, I'd buy one of those zippered cases for the handgun (or use the case the handgun came in) and put everything in a back pack. The handgun in the case would be seperated from the ammo, even though both are in the back pack.

"Loaded." A firearm is loaded if the firing chamber, the
    nondetachable magazine or, in the case of a revolver, any of the
    chambers of the cylinder contain ammunition capable of being
    fired. In the case of a firearm which utilizes a detachable
    magazine, the term shall mean a magazine suitable for use in
    said firearm which magazine contains such ammunition and has
    been inserted in the firearm or is in the same container or,
    where the container has multiple compartments, the same
    compartment thereof as the firearm.

Steve have a look at http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...r-permits.html and see if you can help us there pls.
    Thanks
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    Nothing has to be "locked up" only seperated.
    I stand corrected. Thank you!

What type of "weapon" are you talking about, a handgun or a rifle?
    A handgun.

If I were going to the range and didn't have a LTC, I'd buy one of those zippered cases for the handgun (or use the case the handgun came in) and put everything in a back pack. The handgun in the case would be seperated from the ammo, even though both are in the back pack.
    AHA! I hadn't even considered that. I'm glad I asked. I don't have a motorcycle, but was wondering how that would work. Thank you for the information. I'm pretty new to this, and am trying to educate myself.

(Philadelphia County)

If you're just taking a handgun to the range on a motorcycle, i can see no reason why you just can't open carry....errr.....no, actually, can't do that in philly without a permit and it's not a good idea with one. Yeah, i'd say unloaded in seperate compartments of a backpack.

(Allegheny County)

So is it illegal to open carry in your car? I live in pa.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by topglock21 View Post
    So is it illegal to open carry in your car? I live in pa.
    In order to carry (which in this case means transport, on or off your person, openly or concealed) a firearm (which for most of this statute means a handgun, short-barrel rifle or short-barrel shotgun) in any vehicle you must either hold a license to carry or meet an enumerated exception (such as holding a license from another state, or going to/from home/gunstore/gunsmith/range).

If you mean "I don't have a license to carry but I thought that as long is it's in plain view I was cool, since PA is an open carry state?" then you were under same misimpression that many, many gun owners are.

Here's the key statute, "Firearms not to be carried without a license": http://www.legis.state.pa.us/CFDOCS/...TOKEN=98814110 There are some other statutes that are relevant to, but that's the core of it.
    Last edited by twency; May 4th, 2015 at 12:23 AM.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by FNG19 View Post
    I know it's legal to transport my weapon to/from the range/gunsmith if the weapon is locked up, the ammo is locked up, and the two are physically separated (right?). It dawned on me that folks who ride motorcycles may have a problem transporting "separated", since there's no way to actually physically separate the weapon and the ammo. How would one deal with this?
    Sure there is. In fact, I did it just this weekend on my way to Virginia and back (and I do it all the time).

Get a lockable luggage box for your motorcycle. I have a Givi Trekker 52 (http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/g...r-trekker-case). Then get two storage containers of some variety (bags, boxes, whatever). Put ammo in one, gun in the other. Then put them in the lockable luggage box. They are now locked, and physically separated into their own containers. If you want bonus points, you can use lockable containers too, and also lock open the slide on a semi-auto if you want to. In any event, they are clearly inaccessible to the rider (or the rider's passenger if you have one).
    Last edited by free; May 4th, 2015 at 08:44 AM.

(Jefferson County)

In PA, ammo and the gun(s) DO NOT have to be separated. Only loaded magazines have to be separated from the guns and for the guns to be empty.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by twency View Post
    In order to carry (which in this case means transport, on or off your person, openly or concealed) a firearm (which for most of this statute means a handgun, short-barrel rifle or short-barrel shotgun) in any vehicle you must either hold a license to carry or meet an enumerated exception (such as holding a license from another state, or going to/from home/gunstore/gunsmith/range).
    For PA residents, recent case law states that a license from another state does NOT allow vehicular carry (just as it does not allow concealed carry).

I think they actually said "reciprocal license" but that's another can of worms.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast