Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transport rules

Default Re: Transport rules

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    In PA, ammo and the gun(s) DO NOT have to be separated. Only loaded magazines have to be separated from the guns and for the guns to be empty.
    What about loaded handgun clips???

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    What about loaded handgun clips???
    Still doesn't qualify as a magazine..

And I doubt anyone is carrying around a Broomhandle or even a P10 Grendel.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Northampton County)

BubbaGarand.

(Allegheny County)

As others have stated you can probably get away with it unloaded, cased and in a backpack.

To avoid any issues and allow you to make stops I would get your LTCF, even if you don't plan on carrying it will get rid of all the transportation restrictions, and if you decide to carry down the road you will already have it.

Its a one page form and $20. Some sheriffs will issue on the spot some take a while to process your application. Call or goto your local sheriffs office website for details.

Also you can consider getting a top case for your bike. They are very useful for other things than going to the range. Most will lock. What kind of a motorcycle do you have?
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    As others have stated you can probably get away with it unloaded, cased and in a backpack.

To avoid any issues and allow you to make stops I would get your LTCF, even if you don't plan on carrying it will get rid of all the transportation restrictions, and if you decide to carry down the road you will already have it.

Its a one page form and $20. Some sheriffs will issue on the spot some take a while to process your application. Call or goto your local sheriffs office website for details.

Also you can consider getting a top case for your bike. They are very useful for other things than going to the range. Most will lock. What kind of a motorcycle do you have?
    That there above is truly the ultimate answer. PA's LTCF is so cheap and easy to get that you are just plain stupid for not having one.

Even anti-gun folks should get one just in case one of their friends carries and leaves a gun in the anti-gunner's car on accident.

Unfortunately we have the laws that we do have, but for our benefit, our LTCF is a great get out of jail free card even if you have no interests in carrying a gun.

$20, fill out a form, and have a background check performed on you - that is it. ...no having to find a police station to get fingerprints, no having to sit in some training class that costs you money, no having to perform a dog and pony show to a judge, etc, etc.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    For PA residents, recent case law states that a license from another state does NOT allow vehicular carry (just as it does not allow concealed carry).

I think they actually said "reciprocal license" but that's another can of worms.
    Thanks for the reminder, I'd forgotten about Hobson's debacle.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

I had a bad experience with the police for carrying a gun, I was driving to a gun range from state to state and I was stopped by the police, I had a Bersa BP9CC Blowback pistol with ammo in it, it was in a bag with oil for harley davidson, I had a gun permit but the police did not like me carrying them together, as they explained to me that different states react differently to this, and advised to carry ammo and gun separately in different bags.
    Last edited by AlexAlex; June 4th, 2022 at 03:14 AM.

(Berks County)

Different states have different gun permits. Some states require a permit just to own a pistol and NY is one of them. Then they have another permit for carrying. So...you'd need to know what state(s) and what their rules are. I have not read the thread but I do believe that the rules for transporting through a state are federal and therefore, consistent nationwide. IANAL and I do not know how those rules apply to passing through NJ with hollow point bullets, which are pretty much banned there.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Lehigh County)

www.handgunlaw.us

This is one of the best sites to keep you legal...
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12