Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coyote Hunters

(Lycoming County)

Default Coyote Hunters

I am looking for someone with expirence who would be interested in showing me the ropes of hunting coyote. I live in montoursville. Thanks, Rick.

Get an electronic caller...I have a FoxPro...they are made in PA to boot. I live near Philly, so we have a lot more red fox versus coyotes. Even though I heard the coyotes are moving into the area.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Coyote Hunters

The most effective "getting" method for coyote hunting is running them with dogs. Talking with hunters at our club coyote hunt we find that overwhelmingly this is the prefered method with success. Calling is a distant second, with stalking, trapping and pure luck rounding out the survey. These hunts i'm refering to have become a kind of rush for the serious coyote hunter. The money won also supports their hobby such as feed for the dogs etc. But dogs are the consistent way. I like calling them, it feels more like i'm doing a hunt.

Hmm, I've hunted wild hogs with dogs, but never coyotes. Then again, it's really easy to call and see them coming with a spotlight out this way, and not so much in PA. I've shot 4 or 5 coyotes at the same time calling. I'll sit in a particular spot with some dead rabbits and call about 2 hours before sunrise, they'll totally surround you, maybe 50 yards at the most just yipping and circling. Then you have your buddy turn on the spotlight and get to shooting. I've chased coyotes for miles on 4 wheelers before, and out here where it's so flat and open, they can usually get to a hole or just tire out the dogs.

(Westmoreland County)

Wink Re: Coyote Hunters

The coyotes have miniscuel concentration per sq. mile compared to the western coyote. But their food is abundant in the northeast. The migration or introduction of the coyote has been on the rise over the past 12-15 years. Some think that the Pennsylvania game commission imported them to appease insurance companies by thinning the dear herd with their introduction. Thus rendering fewer auto collision claims with deer. Anyway they sure have made a presence!

(Union County)

Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    The most effective "getting" method for coyote hunting is running them with dogs.

Nope the most effective "getting" method for coyote is all in the hunting rig set up

Here is the best set up I've found for coyote (also works well on gophers.

grizz
    Last edited by GRIZZLYBEAR; October 18th, 2006 at 10:34 AM. Reason: to add photo

(Luzerne County)

Nice setup Grizz, I want one!!!! Just read an article in the paper saying the township I live in has one of the highest concentrations of Coyotes. I might have to give it a try one of these evenings.

(Lancaster County)

Coyote hunting in PA,

ppha.us

This is a good spot to start looking for information on how to hunt them.

would ya'll like some info from an experienced coyote hunter on some different ways to hunt them? I'd be more than happy to share some different techniques we use.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    would ya'll like some info from an experienced coyote hunter on some different ways to hunt them? I'd be more than happy to share some different techniques we use.
    ask him about his experiences with prarie dogs
    Gott mit uns

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast