Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lebanon County)

Default Thompson Center Venture rifle...who has one and what's your take on it?

I am posting this on behalf of a friend and myself...during a 'burn up some time' trip to Bass Pro Shop in Harrisburg I handled a Thompson Center Venture in .30-06; after coming home I call a friend and ask him what he knew about them and we both spent some time on the internet looking over the website and a review about them...

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/venture.php

http://www.tcarms.com/articles/detail.php?a=18

to me it seems these are to increase sales since the Icon (from which it is derived) costs alot and Smith & Wesson didn't do so well with the I-Bolt which was also an Icon derivative...

http://www.tcarms.com/articles/detail.php?a=16 <-- Icon

http://www.tcarms.com/articles/detail.php?a=21 <-- Icon

http://www.tcarms.com/articles/detail.php?a=19 <-- Icon

http://www.gunblast.com/SW-IBolt.htm <-- I-Bolt

I decide to get one in .30-06 and my friend wants one in 7mm Rem Mag; later that week I call around to several other shops to price them out and I luck out when one of them has a 'very lightly used' Thompson Venture in .30-06 with a Bushnell 3200 Elite 3 - 9 x 40 scope for $549 (which is only $100 more than a new Venture @ Bass Pro Shop); one of their employees shot 2 boxes thru it and swapped it on a used 'mountain' rifle in .260 Rem since he wanted something lighter in weight and less recoil for deer hunting; I end up buying the used one, but due to work schedule and weather conditions I haven't been out to fire it;

who has a Thompson Venture and what's your take on it? thanks
    Last edited by kmrcstintn; December 20th, 2009 at 04:33 PM.

Thumbs down Re: Thompson Center Venture rifle...who has one and what's your take on it?

I have also Thompson Venture 30.06 I got it in Jan. 2010 but I did not have the chance to shoot it till about a month ago. I read about this rifle so much and I could not wait to shoot it so, I took my son to the range, and start shooting (2 rounds) and it fills good! My 3rd shot and the magazine just fell apart!!! The housing stayed but the bottom and the spring just came flying out with the last round I had in it. Put it together and it happened again on the first shot.
    Called and emailed the company and they told me to send it back and them going to send me a new one with quick turnaround! Well its being a month and no magazine and when I finally got someone on the phone they told me that they will send it that day! Still waiting.
    My question is, is anyone had this kind of problem and problems with customer service like I had?

Thanks and be safe!

Default Re: Thompson Center Venture rifle...who has one and what's your take on it?

I have a Venture in .270. The only problem I have had is that the sometimes the bolt won't close when I cycle a new round into the chamber.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Thompson Center Venture rifle...who has one and what's your take on it?

(Somerset County)

Just purchased a Thompson Venture in .270 about a month ago. Best shooting
    rifle I have ever put to my shoulder. 3 shots touch at 100 yrds. The only downside I have is I didn't get to use it for deer season. Had to send it back for the trigger sear recall. All Ventures manufactured prior to Oct this year are involved. Other than the recall I love this rifle.

(Wayne County)

I have one in 308 win and I was putting bullet after bullet in one hole at 200 yards. 5R rifling is easy to clean. I to had to send mine back for the trigger and I made them replace the mag because I was having trouble getting it out. New trigger and mag took S&W a week and a half. All I can hope for now is no more problems and my 50 buck rebate check.

(Bucks County)

If any of you have pictures of your shots that would be great.

I have thought about purchasing this rifle as well, especially since it is made in the US by Thompson Center, however I decided to go with the Savage because of the accu trigger and the aluminum bedded stuck.

My other choices were 700, and the Thompson. I also like the safety on the savage.

I will be purchasing another rifle next year and would still like to see the performance of the venture at 100 yards and further.