well, the weather the last couple days have conspired against me getting out to the range as I would have liked to this weekend.

So I decided to bring out the Airsoft and do some practice at home.

I have found it really useful, usually I do presentations from cover. I set up targets and engage them from different positions and angles.

I have a gas blowback TM MCU1911. Its really quite nice, all controls work like a real 1911, fits my holster with some tension adjustment, has a real 1911 trigger pull, weighted grips and with mag almost weighs correct. It shoots POA inside ~10-15 yards and can shoot one hole groups at 7 yards with ease.

Today I took some large paper blanks I had things shipped in. I can draw silohettes about USPSA size on them with a sharpie. I draw just the torso outline, and put small dots to mark off a downward (about 3" sides) triangle on the head and circle on the chest about 8" diameter. I cant really see these when I step back from the target. Then I scribble across the whole paper lightly at random. So I dont have any distict aiming spots, but can make out the silohette.

I took a target and set it up down a hallway, hall is about 21 feet long. I did some draws and shots to both body and head from forwards, backwards, walking away, and both sides.
Then I did some up close from retention and retreating into side rooms and down hallway.
Then I practiced clearing the corners from down the hall, both left and right.

Being right handed clearing to my right is OK, but I find it difficult to clear to the left. I know a lot of people switch off and shoot left handed to clear to the left but Im not sure if I am comfortable switching a handgun from one hand to the other if I ever have an intruder in my house. Maybe thats fodder for a different discussion though, and not on topic for this thread.

I have used airsoft during FOF as well.

I believe getting a quality airsoft that matches your carry gun is a great tool for practice. And after the initial cost there is virtually no additional cost, and it can be done at home when convienant.
another good addition to dry fire practice.