Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Airsoft as a training aid

This is what I do when the weather outside is not so good, weather outside is good but I don't want to go out and want to shoot at the same time and when my wife won't let me leave the house.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by reichebrown View Post
    I play airsoft at 556airsoft (www.556airsoft.com) and I suggested we make a concealment panel or two for their wall system. The panel would have an open whole that could be filled with a piece of paper or cardboard that would allow the person behind the wall to be shot just like a drywall wall. I think it would be fun to watch the reaction of some of the people as they get shot "through" the wall.
    A member over on mcarterbrown.com has introduced paintball using RAP4 forr his training as a drill sgt. and the shoot houses I saw in videos used black plastic sheet as walls. The rounds can easily go through, and those little paintballs (.43 instead of .68) have some sting, so you have verification and tactile response to getting hit. Airsoft leaves you with the tactile, but no reminder of getting hit.

(Lackawanna County)

So I decided with the spring I want to play airsoft instead of paintball. My paintball gun might still be high class but its rarely used anymore and parts are becoming very difficult to find. I cant even sell it. I spent $1,700 on it back in the day and was offered $300 for it the other day Plus the goddamn thing is broken again (no! an autococker broken?!) and I cant even find anyone who knows how to fix em anymore.
    Im not willing to blow almost a grand again on that sport buying another high end electro.

So its airsoft. I want it for play and for training. I am looking at this
    http://uscav.com/Productinfo.aspx?pr...9559&TabID=548
    Thoughts?
    I also want one to match my EDC and figure I can use that as my BUG on field play. I hear EMR park is starting to host airsoft events using wheat pellets. Sounds like a freakin blast.
    I had a replica version of my glock 30 pointed out by someone on here but lost the link since then. I want a metal frame, blowback if possible. I also need to find out where to play/ train.

It kinda sucks, I was huge into paintball and knew about everything there was to know up until perhaps five years ago. Now I want to learn a new sport and was scratching my head over things like "Hop up". Learning it all again... craps.

From what I understand while the guns might cost a bit, the actual play is DIRT cheap. I got a whole mess of questions concerning the guns but want to make sure I can ask them here.
    Also in paintball we like to refer to them as "markers" not guns. Any similair term here?
    Millions for defense, Not one cent for tribute!

(Allegheny County)

i can't help with your questions from the standpoing of playin airsoft as a game. but, all the people i have ever done force-on-force training with using airsoft called them guns, but we are all training for using real guns in real life rather than just for the fun of it--not that it isn't a heck of a lot of fun, but pure gamers might use different terminology.

also, they are, in fact, dirt cheap to operate. all you need is BBs and propane...both are very, very cheap. i would be wary of running anything other than quality airsoft BBs through the guns, though (not sure what exactly wheat pellets are, but they soulnd like they could leave residue inside the gun and muck it up...but hardcore gamer airsofters would definitely know more than i do about it).

i also cannot help you on the AEGs. but, for GBB pistols, KSC and KWA seem to be among the best for glocks and Tokyo Mauri (TM) seems to be among the best for 1911s. you do definitely want a steel slide for a GBB pistol.
    F*S=k

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by YllwFvr View Post
    So I decided with the spring I want to play airsoft instead of paintball. My paintball gun might still be high class but its rarely used anymore and parts are becoming very difficult to find. I cant even sell it. I spent $1,700 on it back in the day and was offered $300 for it the other day Plus the goddamn thing is broken again (no! an autococker broken?!) and I cant even find anyone who knows how to fix em anymore.
    Im not willing to blow almost a grand again on that sport buying another high end electro.

Thoughts?

<snip>

It kinda sucks, I was huge into paintball and knew about everything there was to know up until perhaps five years ago. Now I want to learn a new sport and was scratching my head over things like "Hop up". Learning it all again... craps.

From what I understand while the guns might cost a bit, the actual play is DIRT cheap. I got a whole mess of questions concerning the guns but want to make sure I can ask them here.
    Also in paintball we like to refer to them as "markers" not guns. Any similair term here?
    The Palco guns and Cybergun stuff (like you see in Dunham's) are almost ALWAYS inexpensive CHICOM-made clone guns from Cyma, JPS, JG, TSD, Both Elephant, Echo-1, A&K, etc.

Cyma AKs arent bad, but there are better ones out there, some at not much of a greater expense.

Google "Cyma AK" for reviews from sites like Arnies or Airsoft Retreat.

These "ACM" (all China made) guns are clones of better-made guns such as from Tokyo Marui of Japan, or the Taiwan or HK companies.

TM is the "father of modern airsoft" and basically took the American airsoft invention to the stratosphere with their exquisite (but mostly plastic) replicas.
    TM alows Jap. kids and adults to have "guns" - - within their restrictive laws limiting feet-per-second and metal content of replicas.
    TM has taken ABS to high art while providing bullet-proof Jap. quality and incredible accuracy. They shoot like dreams.

If you have the ducats, you REALLY should consider getting a TM gun, their quality, dependabilty, and accuracy are legend. You can always add metal cosmetic upgrades and real wood as desired.

Google "Tokyo Marui AK" and read for yourself.

The downside to TM is their cost, and availabilty of any given model; they are not cheap and TM only serves the JDM; they could give 2-shits about the USA market.
    If you pick a TM gun that has the genuine trades - like a Colt AR or an HK gun, chances are good that US customs has obliterated the markings before allowing importation.

Alternatives to TM are the top-shelf TM clones coming from Hong Kong and Taiwan; guns from Classic Army, G&G, Vega Force Co, Real Sword, GPS, SRC, KWA, etc..
    These high-end clones brought high FPS and more metal content to airsoft than the TM guns, and they also introduced guns that TM hasn't bothered with.
    These high-end clones are great choices over the cheap ACM guns, and are outstanding alternatives to the hard-to-find mostly-plastic TM guns.

Google for "VFC AK" and "Real Sword AK"

All that said, the Echo-1 guns are CHICOM guns that have been re-branded and QC'd by Echo-1.
    With Echo-1 you don't have the TM or say, VFC "levels of quality", but you do have affordability to see if you like the sport. And they can always be tweaked to give TM-levels of reliability and accuracy. You save money and have fun in the long run.

A lot of Echo-1 stuff shows up in Youtube reviews from Airsoft Reports. Here is their forums;

http://airsoftreports.editboard.com/index.htm

Other good forums;

http://www.airsoftretreat.com/forums/
    http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?

Arnies guides;
    http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/?filn...ie/basics.html
    http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/?filn...newbie_faq.htm

A note on the typical airsoft boards you find on the 'net;

Unlike here, these boards are usually closely moderated and they have ZERO sense of humor or tolerance of folks asking questions that have already been asked/answered a million times....

A "which gun" or opinion post will almost assuredly get you yelled at. (Some of these airsoft gurus on these boards are often teens, tweens, and frustrated lonely adults - between zits, no car, little money, and no sex-life; they can be real cranky folks.)

Be sure to READ and lurk before speaking up.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Monroe County)

Usually you get what you pay for in airsoft, but that doesnt mean you can pay way to much for what you need. I play allot at www.556airsoft.com. It is an indoor CQB airsoft areana underneath American Shooting sports in broadheadsville. (witch i also highly recommend) Anyway, I play there regularly and its not that far from Scranton. If you would like i could let you try out my kjw sig 556 and my TM mp5k. They have rental guns available and i do believe they have a rental AK.

Here are some local airsoft forums:

http://nepa-airsoft.com/forums/index.php

http://www.556airsoft.com/forums/index.php

http://forums.lvairsoft.com/index

http://www.airsoftnj.com/forums/ (awesome classifieds section - it seems no one in NJ holds a high value for their stuff and will include shipping in the price)

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by reichebrown View Post
    Usually you get what you pay for in airsoft, but that doesnt mean you can pay way to much for what you need. I play allot at www.556airsoft.com. It is an indoor CQB airsoft areana underneath American Shooting sports in broadheadsville. (witch i also highly recommend) Anyway, I play there regularly and its not that far from Scranton. If you would like i could let you try out my kjw sig 556 and my TM mp5k. They have rental guns available and i do believe they have a rental AK.
    Thanks RB, I was at American Shooting, I didnt get to see the play area, but it looked rather small to judge by upstairs. I will visit the website later and poke around. I will probably end up playing with you. Send me a PM if you want to set up a time.

I am quite willing to pay for something nice. I mentioned the AK earlier because thats my basic rifle right now and I want it to match, weight and size.
    I'm digging around on the net and found a glock 26 with a metal frame but I doubt its any good since the price was only about $40. Green gas is better the propane isnt it? Because of the lube? Is that required?
    Millions for defense, Not one cent for tribute!

(Northampton County)

Thoughts?
    I also want one to match my EDC and figure I can use that as my BUG on field play. I hear EMR park is starting to host airsoft events using wheat pellets. Sounds like a freakin blast.
    I had a replica version of my glock 30 pointed out by someone on here but lost the link since then. I want a metal frame, blowback if possible. I also need to find out where to play/ train.

Just sent you a PM

(Northampton County)

Thanks RB, I was at American Shooting, I didnt get to see the play area, but it looked rather small to judge by upstairs. I will visit the website later and poke around. I will probably end up playing with you. Send me a PM if you want to set up a time.

I am quite willing to pay for something nice. I mentioned the AK earlier because thats my basic rifle right now and I want it to match, weight and size.
    I'm digging around on the net and found a glock 26 with a metal frame but I doubt its any good since the price was only about $40. Green gas is better the propane isnt it? Because of the lube? Is that required?

You may want to take another look at the building. My shop would be less than 1/2 the size of the playing field

(Monroe County)

just about anything glock is gona be hard to come by due to the fact that glock threw a tantrum about people using their trades and likeness. Green Gas has the silicone lube in it and with propane you would have to use some silicone every now and then.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast