Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Airsoft as a training aid

Quote Originally Posted by Carnes View Post
    Take this for what it's worth, but do I have at least a little bit more expertise than the ubiquitous Mall Ninja. I don't think it is an either/or thing. It has been my experience that airsoft training improves both my live and 'toy' weapon handling skills.
    . . .
    Your whole post was thoughtful and well-stated. I was mostly addressing the idea of setting up targets within your own home, and reducing the inhibitions against pulling the trigger when the muzzle is facing a random bit of drywall or your kids' bedroom wall or a gas pipeline.

In the real world, every one of those bullets will smash through drywall and curtains and doors and windows until it runs out of energy several rooms or houses or apartments away, and you should treat a gun in your home like a hand grenade, with respect and an unwillingness to use it unless you or your family will die unless you use it. Not just because of the legal liability (which is considerable), but also out of common decency and respect for the rights of innocent people within range of your bullets.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Armstrong County)

Im going to have to look in to this. This would be great practice.

I am also an Airsoft fan, especially for practicing the basics. The G23 is almost identical to the real deal.

I can understand both sides, for me, its an invaluable training tool. But for someone who doesn't respect the weapon, real or not, it could lead to a dangerous mindset.

I think the majority (if not all) of the posts to this topic have had real firearms training in some form from basic to advanced. Its easy to forget that the uninformed may look at this a little differently.

(Armstrong County)

I think what we are talking about here is muscle memory. (The inculcation thereof). Is the one poster that has a bug about toy guns suggesting that the OP might shoot the wrong gun in the hall in his house? Not a likely scenario (I hope) OP never mentioned shooting it AT anyone in the house. Doing so may desensitize the shooter to shooting targets, I guess.
    It was not uncommon back in the day to drop a snug fitting ink pen down the bore of a 1911 and "shoot" it for group at a piece of paper about 18" away(no ammo, please) It might seem dumb, but actually groups fairly well and serves well to develop the aforementioned muscle memory. The group was well below the point of aim; use a bigger piece of paper..The pen costs 79 cents or so. A lot cheaper than, say, a beamhit system. (probably not near as cool, though) Many Army officers who could not qualify with the 45 were sentanced to "the pen" for an hour or so.
    Bottom line: Anything that is economical, safe, and FUN will get you to shoot more. More shoot=better shoot.
    Keep your powder dry.
    Last edited by sanction762; February 2nd, 2010 at 03:32 PM.

(Berks County)

I think it's a fantastic idea. I'm looking to buy one now. Thanks for sharing your idea and training tactics.

(Washington County)

If you are going to be doing any airsoft / paintball shooting indoors, remember... those pellets bounce and can blind you. or they shatter and then are nice little shards.. which can blind you.

Wear proper eye protection. If you go to a shop and they are selling those mesh masks, go somewhere else, they are just a ticket for ruptured corneas.

Get a good rated paintball mask. They save eyes, even when dry firing (with air). Ive seen enough "it doenst have paint / bbs" accidents occur. Yes, better fitting masks will run you $50 plus... but eye surgery is a lot more and fogging sucks.

Azrefereefor5yearszy

(Monroe County)

+1 to a good mask. I have been playing CQB airsoft and have taken several hits in the face. One of wich split my lip wide open, any low and i would have lost a tooth. I truly enjoy having a mask, getting shot in the face, and being able to smile while I say I am out.

On a side note. I always thought i made good use of cover while doing IDPA as i very rarely recieve cover calls. When I started airsoft i took notice to how many time i got shot in the inner knee and thigh. I am a bit more cautious with cover now.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by reichebrown View Post
    I always thought i made good use of cover while doing IDPA as i very rarely recieve cover calls. When I started airsoft i took notice to how many time i got shot in the inner knee and thigh. I am a bit more cautious with cover now.
    yep. good point.

IDPA does not teach the best use of cover in a real life situation. what you need to do to win an IDPA stage while not violating the IDPA rules is very different from what you would want to do in real life.

(this is not to say shooting IDPA...or IPSC or whatever...does not have great value. just that there are some areas--like use of cover--where the best way in the game is not the best way in an actual confrontation.)
    F*S=k

(Monroe County)

I play airsoft at 556airsoft (www.556airsoft.com) and I suggested we make a concealment panel or two for their wall system. The panel would have an open whole that could be filled with a piece of paper or cardboard that would allow the person behind the wall to be shot just like a drywall wall. I think it would be fun to watch the reaction of some of the people as they get shot "through" the wall.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by reichebrown View Post
    I play airsoft at 556airsoft (www.556airsoft.com) and I suggested we make a concealment panel or two for their wall system. The panel would have an open whole that could be filled with a piece of paper or cardboard that would allow the person behind the wall to be shot just like a drywall wall. I think it would be fun to watch the reaction of some of the people as they get shot "through" the wall.
    i like this idea.
    ONE TO THE HEAD!!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast