Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default Handgun for Christmas Present

My 18 year old son wants a handgun for Christmas. He's a great kid, no issues on the idea and we'll have a blast picking one out.

I've read quite a bit but have not found, or am not smart enough to understand, the ownership standards. Can he buy a handgun and go through the check process, etc. at age 18 if I am with him? Or do I have to do it, then "give" him the gun as long as he lives in my house? My ideal would be for him to be legal owner, etc. and I know he'll not be able to carry till 21 and he applies.

Also - if he wants to go to club and shoot it, assuming he transports legally, can he go alone and shoot? Or must I or another 21+ year old go with him?

Thanks for you help!

Default Re: Handgun for Christmas Present

Quote Originally Posted by newskate9 View Post
    My 18 year old son wants a handgun for Christmas. He's a great kid, no issues on the idea and we'll have a blast picking one out.

I've read quite a bit but have not found, or am not smart enough to understand, the ownership standards. Can he buy a handgun and go through the check process, etc. at age 18 if I am with him? Or do I have to do it, then "give" him the gun as long as he lives in my house? My ideal would be for him to be legal owner, etc. and I know he'll not be able to carry till 21 and he applies.

Also - if he wants to go to club and shoot it, assuming he transports legally, can he go alone and shoot? Or must I or another 21+ year old go with him?

Thanks for you help!
    You must purchase it and then transfer it to him (no paperwork required). And for the record, he does not have to live in your house, as long as he's your son and you both live in PA you can always transfer a handgun to him without any paperwork.
    ETA: Here is the relevant statute:
    18 Pa.C.S. § 6111: Sale or transfer of firearms
    (c) Duty of other persons.--Any person who is not a licensed importer, manufacturer or dealer and who desires to sell or transfer a firearm to another unlicensed person shall do so only upon the place of business of a licensed importer, manufacturer, dealer or county sheriff's office, the latter of whom shall follow the procedure set forth in this section as if he were the seller of the firearm. The provisions of this section shall not apply to transfers between spouses or to transfers between a parent and child or to transfers between grandparent and grandchild.
    Actually, he can carry it under 21. It just has to be openly, not in Philly, and not in a car. He may conceal it while target shooting or in the home though.

As long as he lawfully transports it, yes he can shoot by himself.

I think I covered everything
    Last edited by zackattack784; December 10th, 2009 at 03:44 PM.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Delaware County)

Just as a tip, it's not illegal for him to shoot at a range without a parent, HOWEVER, most indoor ranges (at least the ones I've been to) require that a pistol shooter be over the age of 21 unless with a parent.

Again, this is not the law, but rather what they require through the insurance agencies that cover the ranges. I know Targetmaster and French Creek Outfitters has this in their policy. If you go to outdoor ranges or public ranges it shouldn't be a problem that he isn't 21.

Quote Originally Posted by zackattack784 View Post
    You must purchase it and then transfer it to him (no paperwork required). And for the record, he does not have to live in your house, as long as he's your son you can always transfer a handgun to him without any paperwork.
    One minor clarification: you both need to be PA residents or you run into federal law, which requires an FFL in the loop for interstate transfers unless it's a bequest.

Quote Originally Posted by donm View Post
    One minor clarification: you both need to be PA residents or you run into federal law, which requires an FFL in the loop for interstate transfers unless it's a bequest.
    Absolutely correct, thanks for catching that

(Columbia County)

Side note: He can openly carry it as long as he WALKS to his destination. It is *NOT* legal to unload it and storage it in a car, drive to location, and then load up and strap it on.

(Dauphin County)

I love this forum/site.

Thanks so much for the fast input - I think he/I are going to have a great time AND one condition he'll have to meet to get the present is to sign up here and READ!

Another comment - it's rare I read a post and can predict the wide ranges of inputs and perspectives. I lurk mostly on the Carrying Threads. There are laws and statutes, yes. But beyond that, the discussions here are incredible. Thank you, all.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by zackattack784 View Post
    You must purchase it and then transfer it to him (no paperwork required).

Half true. He can purchase it and have a sheriff do the transfer. An FFL holder cannot transfer firearms to under 21, sheriffs can.
    Sec. 21. The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

Sec. 25. To guard against transgressions of the high powers which we have delegated, we declare that everything in this article is excepted out of the general powers of government and shall forever remain inviolate.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by newskate9 View Post

Thanks so much for the fast input - I think he/I are going to have a great time AND one condition he'll have to meet to get the present is to sign up here and READ!
    Good move on your part.

Tell him particularly to go to the PAFOA home page and look at the SAFETY and LAW tabs.
    Sec. 21. The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

Sec. 25. To guard against transgressions of the high powers which we have delegated, we declare that everything in this article is excepted out of the general powers of government and shall forever remain inviolate.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Half true. He can purchase it and have a sheriff do the transfer. An FFL holder cannot transfer firearms to under 21, sheriffs can.
    Incorrect.

For transfers between spouses or transfers between parent and child or transfers between grandparent and grandchild it is as simple as handing them the handgun and saying, "take it, it's yours."

A sheriff transfer to a person under 21 but over 18 only applies to two parties which do not fall under the exceptions.
    Last edited by zackattack784; December 10th, 2009 at 04:02 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast