Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do I have to be a certified instructor?

I like to teach people how to shoot. Not the advanced stuff, just the basics. I’ve taken several friends to the range to shoot for a first time, and that's where the fun is at. If they want to get better instruction, I point them in the direction of some pro instructors, but I am basically competent to show someone the 4 rules and some basic marksmanship.

I had the operator of an indoor range tell me that according to PA law, you have to be a certified instructor to give any instruction at all. I can only assume that he meant I would need the NRA Basic Pistol Instructor course. I will eventually take it when I have the money. Is this guy correct? I don't even know where in PA laws I would start looking to find such a law and I didn't find anything when I searched the forums.
    We've been monitoring him on the e-mail for a while. --York PD Lt. Gene Fells

Default Re: Do I have to be a certified instructor?

I would have asked him to site exactly what ordnance states that, then when he couldn't come up with an answer, go back to instruction your friend and ignore him completely.

If God didn't intend us to have guns why would he have given us a trigger finger?

Quote Originally Posted by sdsorrentino View Post
    I like to teach people how to shoot. Not the advanced stuff, just the basics. I’ve taken several friends to the range to shoot for a first time, and that's where the fun is at. If they want to get better instruction, I point them in the direction of some pro instructors, but I am basically competent to show someone the 4 rules and some basic marksmanship.

I had the operator of an indoor range tell me that according to PA law, you have to be a certified instructor to give any instruction at all. I can only assume that he meant I would need the NRA Basic Pistol Instructor course. I will eventually take it when I have the money. Is this guy correct? I don't even know where in PA laws I would start looking to find such a law and I didn't find anything when I searched the forums.
    IANAL, but that basically would mean that every parent or grandparent, introducing their child or grandchild to basic gun handling and safety is breaking that law. I call BS and would like to see that law.

Jan
    So long and thanks for all the fish.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyHarmless View Post
    IANAL, but that basically would mean that every parent or grandparent, introducing their child or grandchild to basic gun handling and safety is breaking that law. I call BS and would like to see that law.

Jan
    Yep, looks like most of my ancestors are criminals. Whooda thunk it!

(Allegheny County)

I like how everything has a law. You can't... You have to... blah blah blah cause it's the law. People make my head hurt.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by sdsorrentino View Post

Patently false.

The guy is probably just trying to protect his own interest at his indoor range. IOW, he doesn't want you taking potential business away from him.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    Patently false.

The guy is probably just trying to protect his own interest at his indoor range. IOW, he doesn't want you taking potential business away from him.
    I was thinking the same thing. Does this range offer basic pistol instruction? If so, he is just trying to protect his bottom line.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

what a jerk regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. Does this range offer basic pistol instruction? If so, he is just trying to protect his bottom line.
    Sure, but does he have to do that by making up fantasy laws, or can he simply drop a line like "good thing you're doing here, and by the way, we have training courses with certified instructors going on every other week to finish what you started"?

Jan
    So long and thanks for all the fish.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyHarmless View Post
    Sure, but does he have to do that by making up fantasy laws, or can he simply drop a line like "good thing you're doing here, and by the way, we have training courses with certified instructors going on every other week to finish what you started"?

Jan
    I wasn't trying to defend the guy, just trying to figure out what his angle was.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast