Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Concealed carry in PA state/county parks- yes or no?

I saw a letter from the sheriff of Chester County that came with my friend's LTCF recently. It stated that state and county parks were prohibited places for concealed carry. Didn't the Pa state legislature pass a law last spring/summer that resinded the state's park commision from making rules concerning firearms in the state parks? This was done so we could carry firearms concealed in the state and national parks when the federal law that Bush pushed through in his last days as president finally took effect. The federal law that takes effect late February of 2010 states that license holders in states that allow concealed carry in their respective state parks can also carry in national parks within that state. Also, doesn't pre-emption take place with the county parks? The sheriff of Chester County is definately pro-gun but I think the LTCF letter is wrong. Please advise.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world is and remains immortal.- Albert Pines

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Concealed carry in PA state/county parks- yes or no?

State parks concealed with LTCF....County Parks open or concealed carry, your choice.

(Tioga County)

You have it right. The sheriff has it wrong. In Feb. Nat. parks are forbidden for making rules about carry and are directed to follow state law.

Quote Originally Posted by WALTHERGUY View Post
    I saw a letter from the sheriff of Chester County that came with my friend's LTCF recently. It stated that state and county parks were prohibited places for concealed carry. Didn't the Pa state legislature pass a law last spring/summer that resinded the state's park commision from making rules concerning firearms in the state parks? This was done so we could carry firearms concealed in the state and national parks when the federal law that Bush pushed through in his last days as president finally took effect. The federal law that takes effect late February of 2010 states that license holders in states that allow concealed carry in their respective state parks can also carry in national parks within that state. Also, doesn't pre-emption take place with the county parks? The sheriff of Chester County is definately pro-gun but I think the LTCF letter is wrong. Please advise.
    USNRET '61-'81

Your sheriff is misinformed to say the least.

Municipal parks fall under preemption regardless of what signs and ordinances may proclaim.

CC in state parks is completely legal for about one yr now.
    State forests has always been legal.

National park cc is coming I think, but nothing would surprise me anymore.

Feel free to correct your sheriff.
    FUCK BIDEN

Here is some of that erroneous info from the Chester County sheriff: (my comments in bold)

Firearm Licensing: Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Is the License to carry a firearm issued in Chester County valid in other parts of the Commonwealth?

A. YES. The License to Carry a Firearm issued in Chester County is valid throughout Pennsylvania, including state parks and the City of Philadelphia. Please keep in mind that there are some areas where it is prohibited to carry a firearm: schools, courts (both county and district), and county properties (parks, and anywhere it may be posted). Starting January 2010, it will be legal to carry in Federal Parks. Please check with the park you are visiting regarding their rules.

County parks are covered under preemption...CC or OC is legal.

Q. I have some firearms that were given to me by a parent/relative, do I have to register them in my name?
    A. No. Pennsylvania does not require firearms to be registered.

While true about not having to be registered, handguns would have to have a legal transfer if the relative was not a parent, child, grandchild, grandparent or spouse of the person receiving it. That is as long as both parties lived in PA. The sheriff needs to clarify these statements.
    Last edited by HiredGoon; December 18th, 2009 at 04:24 PM.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post

wrong. the sheriff is an asshole. there's no way he doesn't know that county parks are legal to carry in.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post

Municipal parks fall under preemption regardless of what signs and ordinances may proclaim.

CC in state parks is completely legal for about one yr now.
    State forests has always been legal.

National park cc is coming I think, but nothing would surprise me anymore.

Yep I would be shocked if the Libtards don't add a repeal of this to some irrelevant bill. Hopefully I'll be shocked.

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    wrong. the sheriff is an asshole. there's no way he doesn't know that county parks are legal to carry in.
    I don't know the sheriff but I will say that the only thing that astounds me more than sheriff arrogance is sheriff ignorance.

Again nothing surprises me anymore.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    Just to point out a few things:

The sheriff of Chester County is a she.

Chester County has regulations against carrying on county property on the books. The fact that they are invalid under 6120 doesn't change the fact that they are there.

The sheriff does sign off on NFA transfers, which she has no obligation to do. I don't know her personally, but I tend to consider CLEOs who sign off as being more pro than anti.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpan View Post
    Just to point out a few things:

The sheriff of Chester County is a she.

Chester County has regulations against carrying on county property on the books. The fact that they are invalid under 6120 doesn't change the fact that they are there.

The sheriff does sign off on NFA transfers, which she has no obligation to do. I don't know her personally, but I tend to consider CLEOs who sign off as being more pro than anti.
    well, if all that is true, i'm going to assume that SHE knows carry on property is fully legal, so SHE'S still an asshole.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast