Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Tell me about your favorite sledding spot

For me growing up in Northeast Philadelphia you had to go to Burns Golf Course and sled. It was one of the best hills in the city. The only problem with this hill is at the bottom of it there is a crick. Now I live in Horsham PA and still have not found a decent hill around here. My son is 2 now and I think this is the year we get him on the hills for some sledding fun.
    Look to the One Who is wearing what should have been your scars...

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Tell me about your favorite sledding spot

Right by me (Villanova University for a reference point) there are two GREAT hills. One, for the littler guys, is called Ordorisio Park, and is a baseball field that was once a quarry. The field is surrounded on 3 sides by a "bowl", pretty darn fun and only a block from my house. The other, bigger, hill is a "The Willows", another township park. Its big and long and fun, a bitch to climb back up though. I am planning to taking my 2 year old to the quarry for his first sledding trip, so if you decide to come down this way give me a shout!
    Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Amen. **PROUD III**

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kb! Bob View Post
    Right by me (Villanova University for a reference point) there are two GREAT hills. One, for the littler guys, is called Ordorisio Park, and is a baseball field that was once a quarry. The field is surrounded on 3 sides by a "bowl", pretty darn fun and only a block from my house. The other, bigger, hill is a "The Willows", another township park. Its big and long and fun, a bitch to climb back up though. I am planning to taking my 2 year old to the quarry for his first sledding trip, so if you decide to come down this way give me a shout!
    Thanks for the 2 spots. If we decide to head down that area I will shout at you.
    Look to the One Who is wearing what should have been your scars...

(Montgomery County)

Bergeys Mill
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=40.258...10364&t=h&z=17
    I haven't been there in years.
    Anyone know if sledding is still allowed? Last that I knew of, the hill was open every year and closed for the season once someone got hurt. And someone always gets hurt, or worse.

Sorry ddefazio, this hill is not appropriate for a 2 year old.
    The 2A does not GIVE us the right. It tells the gov they can not INFRINGE our right.

(Delaware County)

my spots were mostly in Drexelbrook, small community in Drexel Hill, right next to the catering place that used to have a pool. my best memory of there is the time when walking up the hill i saw a pair going down so slow they had to push themselves to move, by the time i got to the top of the hill they were just getting up the mini ramp at the bottom, unlike their sled mine was fast and when i was halfway down the hill they were just got over the ramp, that was good enough for me. As i got to the ramp they were still right behind it and i did yell watch out to which they ducked, I hit the ramp perfect, leaned back so not to slam into them with the front and knock myself off. I got enough air that my sled went across the tops of both their heads and i landed great. After landing i dug in the sled and turned it to stop to go back and make sure they were ok, i apologized to which they replied "what for, that was awesome" apparently they got to look up as i flew over them.

(Allegheny County)

I no longer go sled riding, but I grew up in the country - on a mountain, so pretty much anywhere outside my door was a "favorite spot".

The most interesting/heart-racing/dangerous spot I ever sledded was down a mountain trail on a huge, tractor-trailer inner tube. The TREE-LINED trail was about 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile long before it ended in a farmer's field at the bottom. It was only slightly wider than the tubes we rode.

I can't believe none of us smashed our skulls as the tubes went round and round, bouncing off of the trees, as we screamed down that trail.

I guess my absolute favorite was actually in the neighbor's "yard"(massive hill)that was next to our house. It was my favorite up until I went flying past the end of the yard, going airborne,(the bottom of the yard was elevated about five feet above the road that ran in front of it)and landing on the road, chest first. it knocked the wind out of me - I thought I was dying.
    I was lying down, face-forward, on one of these classic, roll-up toboggans...

EmptyIcan'tbreathemag
    Last edited by Emptymag; December 18th, 2009 at 02:25 PM.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Delaware County)

When I was about 12, we went the The Willows (see my previous post) during an ice storm with a big ass kiddie pool. We piled like 15 kids in that thing and went down, gaining speed and losing kids along the way. I made it all the way down on the pool and looked back up, it looked like Hamburger Hill, bodies bloody and sprawled out everywhere!! Luckily no serious injuries, just a great story!
    Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Amen. **PROUD III**

(Lycoming County)

From a nostalgic standpoint, I have two. One was about 1 mile North of New Smithville on New Smithville Rd on the West side. Super steep but, it too had a stream at the bottom. I remember getting dunked one time and within 20 seconds in the air my clothing froze solid.

The other one was the old Apple Hill Ski hill on Orefield Rd between Leather Corner Post and Orefield. That was a gathering place for 2-3 different school districts. Bonfires, keggers and impressionable young woman. That was back when climbing up and down a hill all night long was a no brainer with fire and drink at the top and girls at the bottom. Ah, to be young again.

Now, I have some decent slopes (hills) on the Farm, but it does not matter, as in this age of mechanization, my kids prefer I pull them around the hayfields. Either 4 wheeler or snowmobile are used in what can only appear to be an incarnation of watertubing/skiing, but different. I love winter!

Be safe (and hang on tight, because that ain't water and it ain't as soft as it looks).

Scott

(Centre County)

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ddefazio View Post
    For me growing up in Northeast Philadelphia you had to go to Burns Golf Course and sled. It was one of the best hills in the city. The only problem with this hill is at the bottom of it there is a crick. Now I live in Horsham PA and still have not found a decent hill around here. My son is 2 now and I think this is the year we get him on the hills for some sledding fun.
    I'm in the same area. We usually take our kids up to Central Park in Doylestown Township (also known as the Kid's Castle park, because they have a big wooden castle for kids to play in). There's a decent hill near the castle. Fair warning, it gets really crowded after a good snow. Website here: http://www.doylestownpa.org/p&r/DoylestownParks.htm (scroll down to Central Park).

Also good is Doylestown Country Club (http://www.doylestowncountryclub.com). There's a great hill on the golf course. It's private property, though, so they might chase you off.
    We used to go to a really great hill right on 611, across the street from the shopping center where Redner's is now (Doylestown Pointe Plaza, i think it's called). It's one of the best hills in the area, but the last time we went there, about three years ago, security guards from the retirement home on the top of the hill chased us off.

Last but not least, Tyler State Park: http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar....aspx#sledding. Killer hills. Again, gets really crowded after a good snow. But lots of fun, there are big hills all over the park.