Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Question about Silencer on a .308

I know absolutely nothing about silencers. I have a new Savage .308 with heavy barrel that I have been considering for a can. Can this barrel be threaded for a silencer, and how quiet can this thing be made? Which silencer would be recommended for it, and how much could I expect to spend, between the silencer and paperwork?
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Question about Silencer on a .308

If it has a heavy barrel, then you shouldn't have any problems getting it threaded.

I haven't looked that much into .308 cans yet, but there is a little bit of discussion about .308 cans in this thread:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/nfa-class-3-t...-thoughts.html

edit: Cost
    paperwork: $200
    Cans: ~$500 - $1000+
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Jefferson County)

You wouldn't have any problem getting that barrel threaded.

Suppressors don't really work like they do in the movies. They can quiet the sound produced by the explosion of powder by releasing it more slowly. If the bullet is moving faster than sound, it will still crack normally. With pistols it isn't always a problem, because you can find subsonic ammo. A .308's projectile moves much faster than sound, so it can't be compensated with in the ammo. Don't get me wrong, a rifle with a suppressor will still be much quieter than without, especially to anyone who isn't shooting the gun. With a good suppressor, you'll be able to target shoot without hearing protection and so will those around you!

If you get a suppressor, don't skimp. With the long wait on the paper work and high cost of entry to begin with, you don't want to get one and then wish you had spent another $2-400 for one that could quiet a little bit more.

(Northampton County)

308 with suppressor is going to be pretty loud because of the reasonably large supersonic bullet. It will sound at least like a .22.

(Lehigh County)

When/If you get a suppessor for your .308, let me know how it works out. I am planning to get one for mine. I just need to upgrade my glass first. BTW, how is that Konus tracking? I was looking at these the other day.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

This may give you an idea of the sound reduction with a quality suppressor. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGzO1n7iAM0

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    When/If you get a suppessor for your .308, let me know how it works out. I am planning to get one for mine. I just need to upgrade my glass first. BTW, how is that Konus tracking? I was looking at these the other day.
    No idea, I haven't yet taken it out to shoot it. Soon, I hope.

(Cumberland County)

I am running a YHM Phantom on my AR-10 and it sounds a little quieter than a .22lr. I also have some .308 handloads that are sub-sonic and you will be pretty impressed the way they sound or lack there of. Granted the sub-sonic rounds will not work the action but they are wicked quiet.

(Potter County)

I was thinking about 308 silencer was wonder I have a bad shoulder will it help with the kick and if so about how much

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by levib View Post
    YWith a good suppressor, you'll be able to target shoot without hearing protection and so will those around you!
    I know this thread is a bit dated, but the above is wrong. It is wrong if you do not want to damage your hearing permanently. A few facts about hearing damage:

All hearing damage is cumulative, every little bit you lose is gone forever.

Noises above 85 decibels cause permanent hearing damage.

High frequency hearing is the first to go with hearing damage.

Suppressors were never intended to protect the shooter from loud noises, they are intended to obscure the report and maintain stealth. A secondary benefit is that the sound produced does not carry as far, and thus less likely to piss off your neighbors. Use suppressors for what they were designed for, not what you wish they would do.

Or just fucking ignore me and be deaf at an early age, it is not my hearing that will be permanently be lost.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!