Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default DA/SA HK first shot trouble.

I recently picked up A HK 45C and I am having some issues with shooting really low on the first double action shot. I have had a few Sigs in the past and although I was not great with the first shot I was much better then I am with the HK.

Right now I am practicing dry firing with a penny on the top of the slide and trying to keep the pistol as steady as possible. When I get to the range I am still really low on the first shot. Single action is fine.

Any suggestions on what to try or practice with.. I know I am dipping the barrel down while pulling the trigger but I can not seem to correct it.

Default Re: DA/SA HK first shot trouble.

Sounds like you're "pulling" the trigger instead of squeezing it on the first (DA) shot. This isn't uncommon, you're going to want to practice to overcome this if this is a carry gun. To me this is one of the downfalls or learning curves might be a better term of DA/SA pistols in that the trigger pull is not always consistent.

I have a friend who had the same issue. Learning a solid squeeze instead of a pull corrected the issue. I have to consciously do it on certain guns with heavy pulls as well (like a sigma etc).

(Montgomery County)

Try practicing shooting the first DA shot only (decock after every shot) for a few mags and really concentrate on your trigger control. Do this each time you go to the range until you master it.
    It does take some practice and with only the first shot being DA, you don't really get much practice in the DA mode unless you decock.

Keep on dry firing also. It's great practice and it'll smooth out the trigger on the gun.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

(Montgomery County)

Practice shooting DA only like the ref with the eyes problems stated before or get rid of the pistol. The popularity of pistols like Glocks and Sigs with DAK triggers is that they are the same everytime. Consistency is very important when learning pistol craft. Perhaps something that is either DAO or SAO will be a good fit for you.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1blindref View Post
    Try practicing shooting the first DA shot only (decock after every shot) for a few mags and really concentrate on your trigger control. Do this each time you go to the range until you master it.
    It does take some practice and with only the first shot being DA, you don't really get much practice in the DA mode unless you decock.

Keep on dry firing also. It's great practice and it'll smooth out the trigger on the gun.
    I usually decock a few times per mag but firing in SA is much more fun.

I will run a some mags DA only tomorrow at the range and see if there is any improvement.

Kaos you are right I am pulling instead of squeezing I need to work on that.
    I really want The HK to be my main carry gun I like everything about it but not until get proficient in DA mode.
    I know you can safely carry the 45C “cocked and locked” and that would eliminate my DA issues but if I wanted to carry that way I would have went with a 1911.

I guess I need to practice practice practice and practice some more !!!

Ditto. While I prefer a SAO or DAO gun, when ever I get a twinge for something new I try to rent a Sig 226 or CZ model, I always shoot the first two mags DA, decocking after every shot just to stay "familiar" with a DA trigger, maybe I just need to shoot my revolvers more.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Allegheny County)

Keep on dry firing also.
    yep. and keep that penny on there. and do not go back to the range and fire live ammo again until you can press the trigger in DA mode and not cause it to fall off...sounds like you are already at that point, but do this many, many times before returning to live fire.

also, when you do go back to the range, as soon as you send one low, unload the gun and dry fire it a bunch right then and there.

you have to get rid of the flinch. live fire will only ingrain it if you don't work through it in dry fire first.

just my two cents.
    Last edited by LittleRedToyota; December 17th, 2009 at 11:46 AM.
    F*S=k

(Monroe County)

you can practice the DA pull simply by dry firing it a lot!...since you're not firing a round and not cycling the slide, it remains in DA mode...the penny "trick" is ok but you might simply want to keep a very close eye on your sights, the front in particular. practice until the front sight stays where you have it aimed.

i personally prefer the LEM trigger that HK offers...unfortunately I'm not sure if it is installable on the new HK45c yet, which is why i haven't gotten one. good luck and keep practicing.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by cyclesteel View Post
    I usually decock a few times per mag but firing in SA is much more fun.

I will run a some mags DA only tomorrow at the range and see if there is any improvement.

Kaos you are right I am pulling instead of squeezing I need to work on that.
    I really want The HK to be my main carry gun I like everything about it but not until get proficient in DA mode.
    I know you can safely carry the 45C “cocked and locked” and that would eliminate my DA issues but if I wanted to carry that way I would have went with a 1911.

I guess I need to practice practice practice and practice some more !!!
    It's more fun because you get better results in SA

I had the same problem when I first started shooting DA/SA Sigs.
    All of my CCWs are double action only but I shoot IDPA with a DA/SA P226. I still usually practice two to three mags worth of ammo in DA only. You'll be surprised at have good you'll become.

The reason you are jerking the trigger in DA is because you are anticipating the "bang". Once you really get the feel of the trigger, you will know when the bang is coming and the only way to do that is with practice.

Good luck mastering your Hk. Be patient, proficiency doesn't come overnight!

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    yep. and keep that penny on there. and do not go back to the range and fire live ammo again until you can press the trigger in DA mode and not cause it to fall off...sounds like you are already at that point, but do this many, many times before returning to live fire.

also, when you do go back to the range, as soon as you send one low, unload the gun and dry fire it a bunch right then and there.

you have to get rid of the flinch. live fire will only ingrain it if you don't work through it in dry fire first.

just my two cents.
    Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    you can practice the DA pull simply by dry firing it a lot!...since you're not firing a round and not cycling the slide, it remains in DA mode...the penny "trick" is ok but you might simply want to keep a very close eye on your sights, the front in particular. practice until the front sight stays where you have it aimed.

i personally prefer the LEM trigger that HK offers...unfortunately I'm not sure if it is installable on the new HK45c yet, which is why i haven't gotten one. good luck and keep practicing.
    If you already have one (not that buying one isnt a bad thing) what I did along with the coin trick is to put a target on the wall in my basement and I have a laserlyte laser on my XD's rail. I practiced by keeping the laser as tight in the X ring as I could while pulling the trigger.

As much as the coin can help (it does) the laser physically SHOWS you what the muzzle end of the gun is doing. If you have a camcorder/digicam that can take videos recording this can be beneficial too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast