Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Beaver County)

Exclamation Transfer of handgun

Here's the situation: I am 20 years old, turning 21 in September of 2010. In about 2 weeks I will be moving out into an apartment to attend college. I'd like to have my father purchase a handgun, and then give it to me so I can get a little bit of a head start on my target shooting and general handgun skills before I get to the concealed/open carry point. I know that he's allowed to "gift" it to me, but he's worried about having it in his name and me possessing it (300 miles away). Is it possible for him to purchase it and actually transfer it to me on paper via a [Lehigh County, PA] sheriff. Thanks alot guys/gals for your time.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Transfer of handgun

Quote Originally Posted by cekeller6121 View Post
    Here's the situation: I am 20 years old, turning 21 in September of 2010. In about 2 weeks I will be moving out into an apartment to attend college. I'd like to have my father purchase a handgun, and then give it to me so I can get a little bit of a head start on my target shooting and general handgun skills before I get to the concealed/open carry point. I know that he's allowed to "gift" it to me, but he's worried about having it in his name and me possessing it (300 miles away). Is it possible for him to purchase it and actually transfer it to me on paper via a [Lehigh County, PA] sheriff. Thanks alot guys/gals for your time.
    This also is a concern of mine also, most sheriffs won't do it .. I'm 19 and I have several handguns given to me by my mom . just make sure you follow the law and when you go target shooting keep it unloaded and in the trunk and if you do police checking the serial number should be a non-issue

I am just keeping my pistols unloaded and locked up until i turn 21 .

(Centre County)

If your dad is that worried about it being in his name (in the illegal registry) then he can do the transfer through the sheriff, if the sheriff will do it. Most will not, even though the law allows then to. Or, he can gift it to you, and write up a note showing when and where he gave it to you and keep that in a safe place.

If something happens (the gun gets stolen and used in a crime, you go nuts and commit a crime, you get drunk and sell it to someone who uses it incorrectly, etc.) here's what happens:

Police recover the gun, they call the manufacturer.
    Manufacturer says they sold it to XYZ (a distributor or wholesaler)
    XYZ says we sold it to ABC gun shop
    ABC gun shop says we sold it to Dad
    Police go to Dad and say, what's your story?
    Dad says I gave it to my son as a gift in 2009
    Police come to you for your story
    Depending on your story, you could be in no or some trouble, not dad, unless you are a prohibited person, then he would be in trouble.

If he gives one to you, just make sure you follow the laws of the PA Uniform Firearms Act (which can be downloaded and printed from several places) and you should have no problems.

One other note, read your lease agreement closely to see if the lease forbids firearms in the apartment. If it does, then either try to negotiate that clause out or look for a gun friendly rental unit.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    If your dad is that worried about it being in his name (in the illegal registry) then he can do the transfer through the sheriff, if the sheriff will do it. Most will not, even though the law allows then to. Or, he can gift it to you, and write up a note showing when and where he gave it to you and keep that in a safe place.

If something happens (the gun gets stolen and used in a crime, you go nuts and commit a crime, you get drunk and sell it to someone who uses it incorrectly, etc.) here's what happens:

Police recover the gun, they call the manufacturer.
    Manufacturer says they sold it to XYZ (a distributor or wholesaler)
    XYZ says we sold it to ABC gun shop
    ABC gun shop says we sold it to Dad
    Police go to Dad and say, what's your story?
    Dad says I gave it to my son as a gift in 2009
    Depending on your story, you could be in no or some trouble, not dad, unless you are a prohibited person, then he would be in trouble.

If he gives one to you, just make sure you follow the laws of the PA Uniform Firearms Act (which can be downloaded and printed from several places) and you should have no problems.

One other note, read your lease agreement closely to see if the lease forbids firearms in the apartment. If it does, then either try to negotiate that clause out or look for a gun friendly rental unit.
    +1

Just be safe and not stupid.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    This is your chance to get back at Dad for giving you an 11 PM curfew when you were going out with Lisa Martucci (also known as Easy Peasy Lisa). "Gun? My Dad never gave me no gun."

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by biggs88 View Post
    +1

Just be safe and not stupid.

Speaking of college kid being stupid, I just saw a this local news

http://www.centredaily.com/news/loca...y/1684462.html
    Man accused of firing gun from window

STATE COLLEGE — A 22- year-old State College man was charged Wednesday after police say he fired at least five shots from his Pugh Street apartment window Dec. 4 because “he just wanted to shoot his gun.”

John R. Nolan, who lives in Apt. 21 at 1014 S. Pugh St., is facing reckless endangerment and disorderly conduct charges.

State College police received a report of gunshots around 3:44 a.m. Dec. 4. When police arrived at the scene, they “found evidence that a 9 mm firearm had been recently fired near the apartment building,” police said.

There were no injuries or property damage resulting from the incident, police said.

Police identified Nolan as the shooter. When questioned, they said Nolan told them that “after a night of drinking, he just wanted to shoot his gun.”

Advertisement
    Johnstown-Altoona Mom: Lose 52 lbs Following 1 RuleI Cut Down 52 lbs of Stomach Fat In A Month By Obeying This 1 Old Rule Explore now... Acai Berry SHOCKERWill Acai Berry Really Help You Lose Fat? Read Our Special Report... Get details...

A preliminary hearing is scheduled for Jan. 20

I think... best thing to do here (IMO), have your dad pick one up, keep it in his house until when you turn 21.

Thats what I would tell my kid if I have one...
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by cekeller6121 View Post
    I know that he's allowed to "gift" it to me, but he's worried about having it in his name and me possessing it (300 miles away).
    There really is no such thing as having it "in his name". It will always be on record that he purchased it. As others have said, there is no gun registry in PA.

What I would do if he's concerned is write up a letter stating:
    "Pursuant to 18 Pa.C.S. § 6111: Sale or transfer of firearms, I (father) have gifted (firearm) (serial #) to my (son). It is now fully in his ownership and possesion".

Sign it, and notorize it if you wish. Each keep a copy, and I think you'll be fine.

Are you going to college in PA? If not, find out firearm possesion laws in the state you're going to.
    Make sure you follow firearm transfer laws when going from home to college.
    The right to bear arms isn't for hunting bear. Subliminal Messages