Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default A trip to the local gunshop.

Ive been off of the forum for a bit, messing around with school and work. Havent pulled a trigger in about 6 months too. Im starting to wonder how this is going to affect my consistency...

A few weeks ago I went to a local gunshop in york, however I cannot remember the name of the place. A quick phone call on a sunday revealed that they were open until 4pm. I also asked if he had any of the IMR 4064 powder that I love so much in stock. Also about a front sight adjustment tool for an SKS.

As I walked in the first thing I noticed was that this was not too big of a shop, it looks like the guy just barely makes enough to keep his place open. However there were quite a few nice rifles on the wall. A norinco SKS, A very nice Romanian, a few AKs (one that caught my eye for less than $500), and a bunch of AR15 type rifles.

The owner was selling a pistol to someone, so I just gave him a quick nod and continued to look around at all of the possible ways to burn a hole in my pocket in this place.

After he got done with his business I examined a few rifles and inquired further about the front sight adjustment tool. He says that he does not have a way to get one so I would have to order it myself.

So then I grab a pound of 4064 off of his table. He has 3 pounds of 4064, a pound of 4350, and a pound of winchester 760... the 3 powders that I find myself using most. However, when I asked about how old you need to be to buy a complete AR15 rifle, he asks me how old I am, and then takes the powder away saying that I have to be 21 to buy it... needless to say I was quite dumbfounded...

I ask him to show me proof of that, because I am pretty sure that It is legal for me to buy reloading powder. Just a few months ago I bought a few thousand primers, 2 pounds of 4064, and a pound of 4350... at a well-reputed shop too.
    After going through papers he could not find anything relating to the age requirement of reloading powder... of course, I walked out of there empty handed. Gave him my number and told him to call me when he gets his facts straight.

To tell you the truth, I really want to do business with this place, rather then go to cabelas, dicks, or bass pro... but the only thing I ever buy is either brass, or powder (Ive got enough sierra 168 grainers and primers to last quite awhile). So whats going on here, is the law really that you have to be 21 to buy this stuff?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: A trip to the local gunshop.

If he doesn't want your business, don't give it to him.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Vismund Cygnus View Post
    If he doesn't want your business, don't give it to him.
    I understand about you wanting to keep the little guys running, but if they are not willing to give you the time of day don't tell them when it's dark..

I have a little shop up the road from me that gave me the run-around on a few pistol prices. I may go back sometime but it will be Ocing the same pistol I got elsewhere.

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mteague09 View Post
    To tell you the truth, I really want to do business with this place, rather then go to cabelas, dicks, or bass pro... but the only thing I ever buy is either brass, or powder (Ive got enough sierra 168 grainers and primers to last quite awhile). So whats going on here, is the law really that you have to be 21 to buy this stuff?
    In PA, you must be 18 to buy rifle ammo and 21 to buy handgun ammo. The store should ask you whether you plan to use it for a handgun or a rifle and sell accordingly (based on age of buyer). I cannot see why the same would not apply to powders and other components. I am not 100% sure of the legal age requirements for buying smokeless powder. If indeed you find out that the legal age is 18, take your business elsewhere. If the store owner cannot keep current on laws and mistreats a customer in the process, why not give your money to one of the big stores? The reason I go to my local shop as opposed to a large chain store is because of the friendly atmosphere and knowledgeable staff. If those are missing, there is no reason for me to go to one of the small guys. If you do find out that you must be 21 to purchase the powder, you must ask yourself how he treated you upon taking the powder away. If he was respectful, continue giving him your business. He was just following the law and watching his own ass. If he was a dick about it, take your business elsewhere.

(York County)

Yeah, to tell you the truth it really p***ed me off. Im not too familiar with the powder restrictions, but Im almost precisely sure that the minimum age is 18. Ive bought powder at cabelas, as well as a few shops in sch. county. They never gave me a problem. But what really got me going was that this guy was not current with the rules and regulations, AND that he did not have any kind of paperwork stating the powder regulations. Every shop should have enough paperwork to answer any question that is handed to them, regarding PA's firearm laws.

But I don't think that I will be going back there anytime soon. He has a bunch of things that I have an eye out for, however giving me that kind of problem is unexcusable.