Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    PANRA Guest

Default Re: Traffic Stop while Carrying

If I have a handgun in my car I keep it out of sight. I have a license so I know I am legal. I would not tell an officer I have a gun unless he asks which has happened to me once before during a traffic stop. I told him I did and he asked where it was. I told him then he asked if I had a valid license. I said yes and gave it to him. That was the end of it. He never asked to see the gun.

I can understand why a law enforcement officer might be hardnosed. Consider that you never know what someone else may do or what they may have already done. They are just trying to go home at the end of their shift and do their job. I am sure they have caught many people in lies while doing their job so I can see how they may not trust the average Joe at first.
    There are many reasons why people lie. Some to hind things, some just because they think they can get away with it, and some because they think they are smarter than you. Usually when I catch someone lying to me I don’t call them on it however I do remember that they have lied to me in the past and that they will probably do it again in the future so I know to take what they are saying with a grain of salt.
    Last edited by PANRA; December 17th, 2009 at 09:58 AM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Celt View Post
    No surprise about the backup force.
    I've worked on the southside for 17 years. Last week I observed cops interviewing 4 very small children.
    He had backup.
    Of course he did. If they were young children he needs to cover his ass from our ridiculously over litigious "THINK OF THE CHILDREN" society.

Quote Originally Posted by 40twist View Post
    happened to have a whole friggin arsenal on my back seat
    You had a building on your back seat?

Sorry, pet peeve. I know an "arsenal" is starting be generally and incorrectly accepted as meaning "a whole lot of", but its a building where you make or store weapons.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by DarylJ View Post
    Of course he did. If they were young children he needs to cover his ass from our ridiculously over litigious "THINK OF THE CHILDREN" society.

Sorry, pet peeve. I know an "arsenal" is starting be generally and incorrectly accepted as meaning "a whole lot of", but its a building where you make or store weapons.
    Sorry DarylJ... here it is from http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/arsenal
    1. a place of storage or a magazine containing arms and military equipment for land or naval service.
    2. a government establishment where military equipment or munitions are manufactured.
    3. a collection or supply of weapons or munitions.
    4. a collection or supply of anything; store: He came to the meeting with an impressive arsenal of new research data.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by powderkegg View Post
    Sorry DarylJ.
    Sorry for what?

"arsenal" is starting be generally and incorrectly accepted as meaning "a whole lot of"
    Was I not clear that this bastardization of the term appears to be going into everyday usage?

Later in the sixteenth century the word’s meaning began to shift in English towards naming one part of a dockyard, a warehouse for naval stores and weapons; later still it referred specifically to a place of storage for weapons of all kinds, not just naval ones (a famous examples was the Federal arsenal at Harper’s Ferry which John Brown stormed in 1859) and also for a place where weapons were made and repaired. That remained its principal meaning in English until comparatively recently. A famous example was the Royal Arsenal on the Thames east of London, which stretched for a mile along the river next to the Woolwich dockyard, and which gave its name to the football club.

It was only a step further to use it for the whole collection of weapons and other military equipment available to a group or country, a meaning that appeared less than a century ago. Hence the phrase nuclear arsenal. It’s a long way from an Arabian factory.
    And we're still not to the part where this "collection of weapons" can be called an arsenal unless it belongs to a country or military. That's the colloquial usage that I have a pet peeve with.

http://www.worldwidewords.org/topicalwords/tw-ars1.htm

(Lancaster County)

Sorry for what?

Was I not clear that this bastardization of the term appears to be going into everyday usage?

And we're still not to the part where this "collection of weapons" can be called an arsenal unless it belongs to a country or military. That's the colloquial usage that I have a pet peeve with.

http://www.worldwidewords.org/topicalwords/tw-ars1.htm
    I understand the peeve but I don't think his usage is incorrect. I understand that his usage was not of the original meaning of the word. Things tend to evolve in 500 years.

(Bucks County)

naah...that building is called a magazine...{or is that a clip?}

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    naah...that building is called a magazine...{or is that a clip?}
    lol...here we go

(York County)

Ok ... my truck was the arsenal then

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by paugello View Post
    then he told me that I was just going to get a warning, wished me happy holidays and shook my hand!
    You should have bitten his hand and said, "Take that you oppressor of the citizenry. Sic semper tyrannis!" And then burned rubber leaving.

(Allegheny County)

Glad to hear you didn't have any trouble with the stop.

I look at it this way: Some people OC, some people CC, it's their choice and it's their right. With that line of thought, some people inform, some people don't, it's their choice and it's their right.

Good to see people here point out both sides of the argument constructively.

I haven't ever been pulled over while carrying so I'm not sure what I'd do. Been a long time since I've been pulled over.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast