Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Adding Firearms to Homeowners Insurance

Hey guys how do I go about putting my collection on my Homeowners Insurance? Do I have to get them appraised first? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Adding Firearms to Homeowners Insurance

I think you should be talking directly to your favorite insurance agent. Last I knew it required a separate rider.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle1248 View Post
    Hey guys how do I go about putting my collection on my Homeowners Insurance? Do I have to get them appraised first? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Check your policy, they may cover you up to a certain amount. I just had all my guns appraised and added them to my policy. Your guns may be covered now unless they are over a certain dollar amount or like high dollar weapons. Check with your agent.

(Susquehanna County)

I have no idea on this one - Does being an NRA member give a level of insurance too or do you need to buy the NRA policy?

(Montgomery County)

As Roscoe says, check your policy. I have a renters insurance policy that covers firearms and accessories up to a certain amount, and this did not require an appraisal.

(Montgomery County)

Thanks I just wasn't sure if most policies required an appraisal. I am covered up to 10k in guns on mine it seems but in order to get more coverage I would assume I would need an appraisal. ANy idea of the cost of one?

(Allegheny County)

Thanks I just wasn't sure if most policies required an appraisal. I am covered up to 10k in guns on mine it seems but in order to get more coverage I would assume I would need an appraisal. ANy idea of the cost of one?
    I asked this question of my State Farm rep last year. They cover firearms up to a certain amount. Beyond that, you can purchase an "insurance rider" that doesn't require an appraisal or itemized inventory - also, up to a certain amount. Further beyond that, you'd need a tailored insurance policy for very expensive items like collector's stuff.

Hey, Lloyd's of London insures supermodel's legs and asses, I'm sure they'd insure a priceless antique firearm for the right price. Hell, I would if I could...
    F*S=k

(Washington County)

I had geico try and say they would no insure us if we would not agree to ensure that ammunition was stored in a separate location from the firearms, i told her this was Pennsylvania, not California, and that i would be happy to move the 2 cars and motorcycles along with our home policy to State Farm.

a few minutes later, magic typing was heard and all was insured as a collection

(Allegheny County)

We're here for you and we want you to feel special... By the way, welcome to the forum!

I think the cost of the rider I mentioned was something insignificant like an additional $45 per year on a premium that was already $400. ymmv
    F*S=k