Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Re: Online target competition - 9 shots for 9 targets - 10 yds handgun offhand - By J

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    ok ya got me hooked, looks like fun, sides nothing I like better than shooting.

Beretta 92FS

Wait off hand ? we are talking about shooting with two hands here right. I'm mediocre at best 2 handed but really suck one handed
    I'm pretty sure "offhand" is meaning standing with no rest/brace. No bracing against a wall or no sandbags..

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Online target competition - 9 shots for 9 targets - 10 yds handgun offhand - By J

Quote Originally Posted by tlgpa View Post
    The way I read it "just any handgun that does not have optics" leaves it open to any caliber.

Hopefully people will keep it somewhat fair and not use:

Does this work?
    Why not? It is the perfect piece for this kind of work and requires absolutely perfect execution of all the basics of marksmanship to score successfully.

Think about the challenge being given in the match decription. The total target area (outside diameter of the black) is only slightly larger than the aiming area for the ISSF Air Rifle or Air Pistol target (even though the "10" ring is much bigger) and the range is only 3 feet shorter than the ISSF 10 meters. On top of that the way I was trained "offhand" means one handed. (i.e. that's strong hand only for you IDPA types.) Maybe Max should weigh in on this and define his idea of offhand.

In any event this is a very challenging course of fire.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
    I'm pretty sure "offhand" is meaning standing with no rest/brace. No bracing against a wall or no sandbags..
    Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    Why not? It is the perfect piece for this kind of work and requires absolutely perfect execution of all the basics of marksmanship to score successfully.

Think about the challenge being given in the match decription. The total target area (outside diameter of the black) is only slightly larger than the aiming area for the ISSF Air Rifle or Air Pistol target (even though the "10" ring is much bigger) and the range is only 3 feet shorter than the ISSF 10 meters. On top of that the way I was trained "offhand" means one handed. (i.e. that's strong hand only for you IDPA types.) Maybe Max should weigh in on this and define his idea of offhand.

In any event this is a very challenging course of fire.
    Sorry for the confusion. I had always used offhand to mean a standing position using no bracing, as smalls had defined. Either one or two, though generally two-handed. I guess I should have defined it better.

Dunsho, did you use one hand to fire yours?

As far as types of guns - any caliber handgun, just no optics. I envisioned fairly stock guns, but I'm not saying we can't use them... I mean, it is after all a friendly online competition, so I guess it doesn't matter too much. And Brick does bring up a good point.

MAX,
    two handed weaver. I can't shoot one hand with any acturacy. was gonna go try it again tonite but didn't have time.

(Montgomery County)

Why not?
    As I said, to keep it somewhat fair.
    This isn't an ISSF or IDPA competition. Max hasn't coughed up any prize money (damn it), just a friendly shoot for bragging rights. I think most everyone is using combat and plinker guns. One member was afraid at first to join in for fear of embarassment.
    But the rules are open, and if using a competition style gun is fair to you, by all means use it.
    The right to bear arms isn't for hunting bear. Subliminal Messages

Here's two targets. One is with a real gun the other is where I cheated and used my .22. This was way harder than it looked. One really cool thing happend while I was shooting. For the first time I actually seen my front sight outlined by muzzle flash which means I'm not blinking anymore during the shot. In the past I've actually tried holding my eye open with my fingers and still tried to blink, I think I'm finally cured.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Susquehanna County)

Hey Yoder, not too shabby! Want to try again? If you do try adding this to your routine.

1. Area aiming. Your pistol makes a rough figure eight as it moves across the target area. Thus it spends more time at the center than any place else on the target and as your ability improves the figure eight gets smaller. So concentrate (focus your vision) on the front sight and your shot will land wherever your front sight was when the shot breaks. Keep your trigger squeeze going all the while you're aiming and maintaining sight alignment, don't try to snatch the shot off.

2. Natural point of aim. When you step up to the firing line and set up for the match. Make sure you have your natural point of aim. Just step into your shooting position, close your eyes and raise your pistol to firing position (one hand or two, weaver or isosceles make no difference it works for all) then open your eyes. Is your pistol pointed at your target? If not, instead of twisting your body to line up, adjust your feet to line up with the target.

3. Natural grip. Almost the same as your natural point of aim. Grip your pistol as usual, close your eyes and raise the pistol to firing position. Now open your eyes and observe your sight alignment. Is the front sight centered (left-right) in the rear notch? If not adjust the pistol in your grasp to make the correction (instead of flexing your wrist) and try again. When you find the grip that centers the front sight in the rear notch, you have your natural grip. Remember that all the pressure comes from your forefinger and ring finger straight to the rear.

(Susquehanna County)

Here's my first submittal. Fired right hand only (offhand), single action.

The revolver is a K-38 Masterpiece. My ammo is 158 grain LSWC, LRN, or LTC (whatever I can get) ahead of 5.4 grains of AA#5.

In case anyone is interested in my opinion, this is a very demanding course of fire. To do well you must apply all of the basics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here's my first submittal. Fired right hand only (offhand), single action.

The revolver is a K-38 Masterpiece. My ammo is 158 grain LSWC, LRN, or LTC (whatever I can get) ahead of 5.4 grains of AA#5.

In case anyone is interested in my opinion, this is a very demanding course of fire. To do well you must apply all of the basics.
    Very nice, especially one handed.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Columbia County)

I'm glad to see there's a little interest in this competition. So far here are the scores I have:
    max384: 25
    dunsho: 32
    yoder: 32
    brick: 43 - Right? I've been known to screw up simple math a time or two.

Good shooting brick! You're in the lead right now.... looks like I better get back out to the range and try to better my score since I'm in dead last at the moment!

Good luck to everyone and remember there are really three prizes: First is a digital POB (pat on back), second is 226 rep points (maybe more if I post something that makes someone smile!), and third is any other rep points or digital POBs anyone else in the competition wants to give to the winner!!!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast