Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Classified sniper rifle??

So I was watching this show on Air force 1 the other night. They were showing all the work that goes into the enormous task of moving the president around the world. Anyway, before the POTUS gets to his destination, everything and everyone is in place before he gets there. They showed snipers carrying their weapons in cases and the narrator said something to the fact of "snipers arrive with their long guns. Some of the equipment used is classified and can't even be talked about". My question is, what the hell could they be talking about? What kind of hardware is classified? The show was called 'On board Air Force 1' It's a National Geographic Explorer program.
    If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Classified sniper rifle??

probably to get that o effect from some person sitting on there couch that has never even seen a firearm in real life.....if not, im double wrapping my head in foil tonight

(Dauphin County)

absolutely nothing secret about what they use.. that guy just has no clue and doesnt want you to know he doesnt have a clue !
    Tigers love pepper, they don't like cinnamon !

(Monroe County)

its possible they have enhaned optics or bullets which are still classified... along with radios and other gadgets.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    its possible they have enhaned optics or bullets which are still classified... along with radios and other gadgets.
    what could make a cartridge classified..primer,case,powder and bullets have been around for a whille now...if there is a classified round, maybe a heat seaking 30.06.....then we have become too advanced as a society

Quote Originally Posted by mcmcallister View Post
    what could make a cartridge classified..primer,case,powder and bullets have been around for a whille now...if there is a classified round, maybe a heat seaking 30.06.....then we have become too advanced as a society
    they could have heads made from special materials, made a special way, that perform a special way etc etc etc. Maybe they use some kind of special optic that could be interfered with if it's electronic based?

who knows.

They have guns. They're probably pretty damn good shots. Don't mess with them.

(Monroe County)

its possible that they don't want any possible bad guys to know WHAT they are carrying to ensure that you can't just get a level of body armor that would prevent that round.

the technology of the projectiles they are firing are pretty crazy, high explosive rounds, depleted uranium rounds, rounds that won't pass through their target...
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

A lot of the vehicle armor is classified. Sure you can find out that an M1 Abrams has a combination of honeycombed ceramics and steel plating (I think some have depleted uranium plating also), but the exact specifications are classified. The snipers may be using .308 rounds or lapua rounds with special classified characteristics.

I'm usually "in the know" about the newest projectiles and LR technology because I talk with those guys on a semi regular basis. As far as I know, there isn't any "classified" or huge advancements on the weapons themselves. Now if they have some type of particular optic that they may not want to talk about, maybe. Either way, I think the guy is full of BS, and just wanted to make everybody think "cool". They may also just not want to mention what weapons they're using because it could give an experienced LR guy an idea of what the range of their perimeter is. It's likely that they aren't using the biggest and longest shooting rifles that exist. Although it's unlikely that someone would count on trying to make an ELR shot on the POTUS, if their rifle had a longer range than the security, it would be possible. Maybe that's why they don't want people to know what these guys are carrying. Either way, more BS than anything else. Nothing all that special, just precision rifles, great optics (some maybe thermal), and LOTS of training.

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    I'm usually "in the know" about the newest projectiles and LR technology because I talk with those guys on a semi regular basis. As far as I know, there isn't any "classified" or huge advancements on the weapons themselves. Now if they have some type of particular optic that they may not want to talk about, maybe. Either way, I think the guy is full of BS, and just wanted to make everybody think "cool". They may also just not want to mention what weapons they're using because it could give an experienced LR guy an idea of what the range of their perimeter is. It's likely that they aren't using the biggest and longest shooting rifles that exist. Although it's unlikely that someone would count on trying to make an ELR shot on the POTUS, if their rifle had a longer range than the security, it would be possible. Maybe that's why they don't want people to know what these guys are carrying. Either way, more BS than anything else. Nothing all that special, just precision rifles, great optics (some maybe thermal), and LOTS of training.
    That's a good point about it potentially being their load-out being classified more than the equipment being classified itself.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast