Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Beretta 92FS barrel question...

I have 2 beretta 92FS pistols. Neither are inox models.

Does anybody know what the barrels are made out of? is it stainless steel?

One of the barrel's finish is kind of inconsistent and speckled looking and the other has 2 scars in it from what looks like somebody improperly inserting the barrel back into the pistol (forcing it) after field stripping it or from it rubbing while firing.

Despite the two deep scars (no finish left where it rubbed), there has been no rust.

If the barrels are stainless, I was thinking of removing the finish on them and sort of having a mock two tone. It has to look better than how it does now.

-Zach

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Beretta 92FS barrel question...

standard ordinance grade steel, and chrome lined I believe.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Bucks County)

So probably not a good idea to strip off the finish then...

Thanks for the quick reply!

-Zach

(Monroe County)

They are rubbed off because they weree shot a lot, if the scuff marks bother you just buy a tube of Birchwood casey cold blue a reblue it, takes just a few minutes. Excellent guy btw, i just shot mine Friday night, Match accurate, hole in hole accurate.

(Montgomery County)

Or for a more permanent solution send the barrel and slide assembly to Robar and have it either Np3'd or done in black roguard (matte or glossy). The Robar finishes are seriously high quality.

I would not cold blue it as it might make it look strange. Cold blue is not the original finish, and if you have two different finishes it will look a bit odd.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Bucks County)

The one was definitely shot a lot as it was a police trade in. The other I am fairly certain was not shot nearly as much as the only place that is rough it right by the front sight and that it was just re-assembled by somebody with brute force instead of patience.

I am not going to bother rebluing it. No sense in rebluing the barrel of either one since the frame of the police trade in is pretty beat and I carry the other one daily so the frame is beginning to lose its finish too.

I know, you ask why don't I carry the police trade in and keep the other more pristine, right? Initially when I got the police trade in, it had some issues with extraction. I have since solved those problems, but I got into the habit of carrying the other one and have remained that way since. Besides, neither are really collector type of items since there are only like a billion (I know not quite) of them made.

-Zach

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    They are rubbed off because they weree shot a lot, if the scuff marks bother you just buy a tube of Birchwood casey cold blue a reblue it, takes just a few minutes. Excellent guy btw, i just shot mine Friday night, Match accurate, hole in hole accurate.

(Bucks County)

Sounds expensive. On a semi related note, does anybody know if you can get a gun redone in like a lime green? My girlfriend keeps going on about a lime green gun (as in she wants one - and up until I showed her the volquartsen upper for the Ruger mark III, she has not seen). The only things i have seen have been anodized aluminum which won't really work for a slide or frame.

-Zach

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    Or for a more permanent solution send the barrel and slide assembly to Robar and have it either Np3'd or done in black roguard (matte or glossy). The Robar finishes are seriously high quality.

I would not cold blue it as it might make it look strange. Cold blue is not the original finish, and if you have two different finishes it will look a bit odd.

(Indiana County)

You can remove the existing finish and do a very high polish on the raw steel, oil it up and it will be fine.

Hundreds of thousands of bolt action rifle bolts are finished in nothing more than polished raw steel.

A very high polish does not permit moisture to settle into "pores" and start the rust process very easily. Using a good CLP on raw steel can keep the metal rust free for years.

(Monroe County)

The scratches might not be reassembly scratches but holster scratches , when a gun is inserted into a dirty holster with debris in the holster it can happen, being that it was a cop gun its a likely scenario

(Bucks County)

On the police trade in, probably the case. On the other one, not likely. I will take some pictures in a little bit if I remember. Then there will be no ambiguity about what may have caused it.

-Zach

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    The scratches might not be reassembly scratches but holster scratches , when a gun is inserted into a dirty holster with debris in the holster it can happen, being that it was a cop gun its a likely scenario

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast