Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default hermetically sealed ammo

i found some ammo from the 60`s and 70`s that is hermetically sealed. how much more of a shelf life will this ammo have? will it still be good in 20 years or will new production ammo out last the old production hermetically sealed ammo????

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: hermetically sealed ammo

Hard to say, but ammo lasts a while anyways. I have some Argentinian? 9mm and 380 battle packs. I have a feeling they are good for a LONG time. Which is kinda the point of vacuum packing in the first place...

(Jefferson County)

There's no shelf life on unsealed ammo to give an estimate on a life extension to sealed ammo. Could one reasonably believe it'd last longer? ...yes. But there really isn't means to estimated how long, or how much longer considering there is loose unsealed ammo from the late 1800's that is still being used today.

I personally would save it for the long term storage for the zombie invasion, The Second Revolution, Armageddon, or Ragnarok.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

is hermetically sealed just vaccum packed ammo? so lets say i buy some new production ammo and store it in those thick space saver vaccum bags. is that the same thing?....even if i buy the hermetically sealed ammo i would probally cut it open to make sure that there is ammo in there and not a box of bricks....

(Jefferson County)

"Hermetically sealed" just means its airtight. It doesn't imply that it is also vacuumed. Better made Ziplock bags can provide you a hermetically sealed storage, vacuuming is another attribute.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Luzerne County)

If you're gonna vacuum seal your ammo, it's a good idea to drop in a dessicant pack, just in case some moisture found its way in. Even in a vacuum sealed or airtight container, there is always gonna be a little air trapped inside... which could contain moisture.
    loose≠lose; you're=you are; 'your' shows possession.

(Indiana County)

I'm still shooting WWII vintage .30 Carbine ammo that was re-imported from Columbia by the now pretty much defunct Springfield Sporters in Penn Run Pa.

This stuff came in loose, dumped in 55gal drums that were stored in some damp humid jungle warehouse.
    They packaged it up in 500rnd boxes and sold it for $40.

I would think that your sealed stuff should be good for 100 years or so.

(Montour County)

hermetic=comleatly sealed,especially against the escape or entry of air. Thats what Websters says.

Are some of the green ham can ammo sealed with nitrogen, which is inert, so the brass and copper dont corrode???

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Now you have me thinking (and that could create a dangerous overload of dormant machinery). I have access to a canner and a bunch of #10 cans. I might just seal up a bunch of various ammo in cans filled with dry nitrogen and with a dessicant pack thrown in for good measure. Label it and stash it.

Maybe make a can with a small 38 and a cleaning kit, and then fill it with ammo. Likewise 9mm. What a stash for TEOTWAWKI !

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Now you have me thinking (and that could create a dangerous overload of dormant machinery). I have access to a canner and a bunch of #10 cans. I might just seal up a bunch of various ammo in cans filled with dry nitrogen and with a dessicant pack thrown in for good measure. Label it and stash it.

Maybe make a can with a small 38 and a cleaning kit, and then fill it with ammo. Likewise 9mm. What a stash for TEOTWAWKI !

Flash
    Vacuum-only canner (i.e. no heat) or a pressure cooker? Hopefully the first, the Darwin Awards are in another thread...
    F*S=k

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast