Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default 30 30 for range use only?

I came across a Winchester 94 in 30/30 today in great shape for $225. Its one of those rifles I always felt I should own but never got around to buying one. I dont hunt so this would be just another range toy. Do you think since the ammo is more expensive than ever it would not be a wise choice to buy this? I could see myself shooting 40 rounds through, cleaning it and putting it in the safe for the next few months until I get the urge again which is what I do with the AKs and ARs. Is this a fun gun to shoot? I would keep it un-scoped for sure. Thanks, B

Default Re: 30 30 for range use only?

They are fun to shoot, and not that bad on recoil.

(Northumberland County)

i have a model 94AE on layaway i should be getting it next month . Reason i bough tit is for hunting and range shooting, you can shoot 50-100 rounds at a time and your shoulder wont feel sore.

(Philadelphia County)

Talking Re: 30 30 for range use only?

I will take it ! ! !
    If you dont want it, PM me.
    The 30-30 round is a great range shooter, I have a Marlin 336rc from 1953 and with open sights I can usually get 2" groups off a single sand bag.
    Yes rounds can be costly, But save your brass and start to reload or have someone you trust reload for you,
    The 30-30 would also be fine for dear up to 100 yards, And since you dont hunt that really does not matter.
    You are looking at a fine gun that if you dont like you can most likely sell off for more than you paid.
    Peter

Kind of expensive plinking gun but a good price. I have a Marlin 30-30 and I load a 165 gr lead bullet with Unique for a plinking load out to 100 yds. My load is about the same as a 357 so it can be used for other purposes.

(Allegheny County)

Sounds like a pretty damned good price to me.

Buy it, take it for a test drive, and if you don't feel it's worth keeping around, sell it later for more than you paid.

I just got my first lever gun a little over a year ago and regret not owning one sooner. If I had the money, I'd buy several of them in different calibers.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lancaster County)

so you found the winchester 94 at Trops , lol. It was in beat up shape but i bet it will clean up pretty good. I looked at it a couple weeks ago and was going to go back for it before i found the one I have now. the bore looked nice and clean on it so i bet it shoots pretty good.

you can pick up federal ammo for it at walmart for $15. the york store had a ton of it last week.
    No longer posting

(Lackawanna County)

that is, from my understanding, a GREAT price for one of those; i always see them for at least $400. i'd buy it, quick. also, the ammo isn't that expensive, not like .30-06 or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    I came across a Winchester 94 in 30/30 today in great shape for $225. Its one of those rifles I always felt I should own but never got around to buying one. I dont hunt so this would be just another range toy. Do you think since the ammo is more expensive than ever it would not be a wise choice to buy this? I could see myself shooting 40 rounds through, cleaning it and putting it in the safe for the next few months until I get the urge again which is what I do with the AKs and ARs. Is this a fun gun to shoot? I would keep it un-scoped for sure. Thanks, B
    Sound's like you answered your own question
    I'm Your Huckaberry...Say When:)

(Jefferson County)

30-30 ammo is still reasonably priced at $9.99-$15 a box compared to the other hunting rifle ammo. And even compared to the 20/25rd boxes of gimmick "protection" handgun ammo at $20-30 a box.

A Winny 94 will eventually go up in value, so it in itself is a good investment.

There is another purpose you can use to justify buying it - home(land) defense.. A 30-30 will hold its own against all but two handgun rounds. They are fast handling even in tight quarters too. And at ranges less than 100yrds in defensive situations the 30-30 will provide more thump than the 5.56/223 that people also choose.

So, buy it!
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast