Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: cought speeding

(Bucks County)

Default cought speeding

I need real advice , I was clocked at 81 in a 65 mph zone in Virginia , thats wreckless driving , the Trooper said its a 1050 ( one thousand fifty dollar fine ) and a possible loss of liscense for one year , (up to the judge ) . My question is can another state take my liscense . any real knowledge would be greatly apreciated .
    Thanx TAS

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: cought speeding

Like you said this is more than a speeding ticket, so you might have to hope the judge is having a good day. I find it a little hard to believe that 16 over is considered reckless driving but each state has its own laws and regulations.

A few years back I got clocked @ 91 in a 55 (36 over) zone and didn't lose my license because I was honest with them. I was driving fast (i don't think that fast) and my dad did a good job working with the judge who was also a leadfoot so I got it reduced to 15 over. Got a few points but it could have been much worse.

I am way too tired to start googling and reading legal stuff so I will leave that up to the experts here.

Good Luck!

(Chester County)

Μολὼν λάβε

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by TASCAR View Post
    I need real advice , I was clocked at 81 in a 65 mph zone in Virginia , thats wreckless driving , the Trooper said its a 1050 ( one thousand fifty dollar fine ) and a possible loss of liscense for one year , (up to the judge ) . My question is can another state take my liscense . any real knowledge would be greatly apreciated .
    Thanx TAS
    If you have a CDL license what happens in other states will affect your PA license.

I'm not sure about a regular license but, chances are your driving privileges can be suspended in Virginia, that is they can't take your PA license but you'd no longer be allowed to drive in VA.

(Erie County)

§ 46.2-862. Exceeding speed limit.

A person shall be guilty of reckless driving who drives a motor vehicle on the highways in the Commonwealth (i) at a speed of twenty miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limit or (ii) in excess of eighty miles per hour regardless of the applicable maximum speed limit.

(Code 1950, §§ 46-209, 46-209.1; 1950, p. 880; 1952, c. 671; 1954, cc. 225, 401, 458; 1958, c. 541, § 46.1-190; 1960, c. 510; 1964, c. 266; 1966, c. 694; 1968, c. 575; 1970, c. 521; 1974, cc. 222, 455; 1975, c. 633; 1978, c. 27; 1979, c. 86; 1981, cc. 333, 585; 1985, c. 148; 1989, c. 727; 1992, c. 608; 2006, c. 301.)
    Cops a dick

Title 46.2 - MOTOR VEHICLES.
    or
    Search: Reckless Driving

Some states will inform PA and transfer points. Some states will only inform PA is you fail to appear or don't pay up. Basically legalized extortion, you don't pay up, they tell PA.

I was going 79 in a 55 in NY. No big deal right? Pay the $180 fine. Nope, NY assesses a "drivers assessment," what is it, it's called you pay 300 more dollars.
    Last edited by KeithPA; August 4th, 2007 at 12:16 AM.

(Luzerne County)

I thought the hefty fines were only for VA residents?

From the description I read for RD, the charge amounts to a misdemeanor which is a criminal charge.

(Bucks County)

Not sure how it works in VA but in NY, CT & PA plead not guilty and when you ready to go to court talk to (PA = judge, NY & CT = DA) and politely inform them that you are willing to plead guilty to speeding if they drop the RD charge. Assuming there was no accident and you did not overly piss of the cop they would most likely do it. Especially since you are only ONE mile over the 80 cut off as posted above.

I'm no lawyer and never played one on TV but most of my tickets had additional charges that always were pleaded down to simply speeding. In PA all I ever want and get is no points.

Oh yeah, there is some sort of new federal law that States now talk to each other so your PA license may also be suspended. Don't know details about it but I just saw a notice posted at the DMV when renewing my license last week.

About the hefty fines only being for VA residents, from what I hear there was so much outrage from the locals that they changed it (or are in the process of changing it) to effect all.

(Northumberland County)

I wonder what the fine is for a radar detector in VA? It may be cheaper that way for next time. I know they are illegal in that state but I have a Valentine V1 that is worth a million bucks to me, add a remote display and wire it to the Ford Super Duty upfitter switches to keep in low key.
    "You never lived till you almost died, for those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know"

wow i never heard of them having anything over 80 as that, isn't 77 70MPH threw VA? i usually keep it about 7-10over but i'm sure i slipped over 80 threw there more than once i drove threw there 3times a month for 2yrs

(Chester County)

Grrrr.... insert rant here.

I drive a school bus. Numerous times I've reported people who have blown through my flashing red lights. 3 times I've gone to court. Twice it never made it to the courtroom as the officer offered a lesser violation to the driver and once it was thrown out altogether. That astounded me as the driver passed me on the left side and had to use the oncoming traffic's lane to do it.

Bottom line is that the penalty for blowing a school bus's red lights is so steep that the judge doesn't like to enforce it! So I've heard that he asks the officers to try and get the driver to plead down to a simple ticket for disobeying a stop sign!

end rant.

Speaking for me.... I have never tried to plead a ticket down. If I get caught I pay the appropriate fine.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast