Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Arrow One Shot During Armed Robbery In Pittsburgh Bar

One Shot During Armed Robbery In Uptown Bar

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) ― Police are searching for a suspect following an armed robbery in the Pittsburgh's Uptown section today.

According to eyewitnesses, two people entered Larry's Bar on Fifth Avenue with guns drawn and told people inside that it was a robbery.

Eyewitnesses also say an off-duty police officer in the bar shot one of the suspects and wounded him in the upper left chest.

He was found wounded on Forbes Avenue by officials and is now reportedly in critical condition.

Another suspect reportedly got away.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: One Shot During Armed Robbery In Pittsburgh Bar

Guess that answers the question finally of why you want to carry even if you were at the bar having a drink.

Glad to hear that no innocents were harmed.

Wow this place looks reeaaaalllll nice.
    Last edited by falcn; December 12th, 2009 at 10:42 PM.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

More details:

Officer shoots man during holdup
    Saturday, December 12, 2009
    By Kaitlynn Riely, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

An off-duty Pittsburgh police officer shot and wounded a would-be robber tonight after two men attempted to hold up a bar Uptown, police and witnesses said.

Police officials have scheduled a news conference for 10:30 p.m. to release more information. The shooting occurred around 6 p.m. at Larry's Bar on Fifth Avenue.

Police identified the wounded man as Dennis Dooley. His condition was not immediately available.

Tab Duckett, of East Liberty, said he was sitting with his friend, David S. Harris, of the Hill District, in the bar around 6:15 p.m. when two masked, armed men came in.

One of the men pointed a .38-caliber handgun at Mr. Duckett and told him to get on the floor. The men then ordered other bar patrons to get down as well.

Mr. Duckett said one of the men rifled through his pockets for money.

"It happened so fast, but I thought my life was ended," he said.

Mr. Harris said heard two shots and thought the robbers had shot his friend. But an off-duty police officer, who had been fixing a door in the back of the bar, fired the shots and wounded one of the men.

The robbers fled, but police found the wounded man nearby on Forbes Avenue near Jumonville Street. It was not clear what happened to the second man.

(Bucks County)

There is no mention of alcohol. Yes it is a bar, but it does not mean the off duty officer was drinking. But that is usually what is done in a bar.

I am still for not drinking alcohol and using a firearm. To me this is common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by thefirstndsecond View Post
    There is no mention of alcohol. Yes it is a bar, but it does not mean the off duty officer was drinking. But that is usually what is done in a bar.

I am still for not drinking alcohol and using a firearm. To me this is common sense.
    I think everyone on this board agrees with you 100% about not using a firearm while consuming alcohol; however, would you rather be a victim of a violent crime or defend yourself after drinking responsibly? This ain't a perfect world Sir and we all have our own standards to which we live by. Not to be confused with forcing your standards, morales, value's, and ethics on others given the same or similar situation.

You can't stop living or curbing a normal everyday activity because of a maybe, what if situation but you can be responsible in your actions and habits while still enjoying yourself.

(Allegheny County)

I know where that place is. I wouldn't go there without a firearm, if I would ever go there.
    F*S=k

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by thefirstndsecond View Post

Then it would be another gun free zone for an easy target for criminals. Seems they robbed the wrong bar. I am not in favor of restricting guns from bars, one of the reasons is this story. Had the cop not been there could have ended badly for the patrons.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ScaredOnce View Post
    I know where that place is. I wouldn't go there without a firearm, if I would ever go there.
    After seeing that photo, I wouldn't go there without a firearm, and all of my friends who carry firearms.

(York County)

whether the off duty cop was drinking or not doesn't really matter. He hit his intended target 50% of the shots fired. After seeing some of the accuracy results from self defense shootings, that is all not that bad. He felt his life or others were in danger and reacted accordingly. Not everyone that enjoys a few drinks is going to pull their weapon out to show it off and kill a room full of babies.
    Xbox Live Gamertag: My Tango Sucka

(Indiana County)

Last year a man armed with a shotgun decided to start shooting in a Nevada bar, an armed customer, carrying with a concealed firearm, stopped this guy by shooting him--he was also lightly drinking.

This story NEVER made it into the national headlines, further, I can't even find an article referencing it off hand. In any case, yes, bars get attacked from time to time, nothing makes them exempt from robberies, shoot outs, etc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast