Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Franklin County)

Default NFA options in Franklin County?

I'm beginning to explore the possibility of a MG purchase. I read the stickies, but I've got a few more questions...

Do I have to buy my NFA item from a Class III dealer in my home county, or can I purchase it from another Class III dealer in another nearby county?

Under the county listing on this site, Franklin is marked as "yes" for NR forms. What does the "NR" stand for and does that mean the Sheriff will likely sign off on the necessary paperwork for an NFA item?

Can someone point me in the direction of some Class III dealers in Franklin County? (or in the surrounding area if I can purchase from a dealer in another county) Maybe I've already been to one and didn't know.

If I do manage to successfully obtain a MG, does anyone know where I could shoot it in the Franklin County? I haven't been to a single range yet that allows full-auto.

How are the quality and condition of the typical NFA weapon? Since I'm limited to machines registered before May 19, 1986, is it likely that I will have to do some restoration work before I start heavily shooting, or are most MG, given their high prices, well maintained?

I've read through the process a couple times and I think I have it figured out. Do I understand the order of the process correctly?:

1) Go to Class III dealer, get 2 ATF form 5320.4s, 2 FBI FD-258 fingerprint cards, and 1 Certificate of Compliance.
    2) Go to CLEO to get forms signed, finger printed, and provide pictures and $200 check to the BATFE.
    2) Take signed forms back to gun dealer
    3) Wait a zillion years for approval from BATFE
    4) Go back to Class III dealer once approved, fill out form 4473, and pay for item

I realize it's probably a little bit trickier than that, but is that essentially what it amounts to?
    Last edited by Cheeseybacon; August 9th, 2007 at 09:24 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: NFA options in Franklin County?

You can use any class III dealer anywere in the state of Pa. and they can retieve a gun from any class III dealer in the U.S. for you.

fullauto223

Don't make me angry, I might raise my FONT ON YOU

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: NFA options in Franklin County?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeseybacon View Post
    I'm beginning to explore the possibility of a MG purchase. I read the stickies, but I've got a few more questions...

Do I have to buy my NFA item from a Class III dealer in my home county, or can I purchase it from another Class III dealer in another nearby county? you can purchase from any class 3 dealer in the state. Heck, you can buy out of state too but your local class 3 will need to handle the transfer

Under the county listing on this site, Franklin is marked as "yes" for NR forms. What does the "NR" stand for and does that mean the Sheriff will likely sign off on the necessary paperwork for an NFA item?

Can someone point me in the direction of some Class III dealers in Franklin County? (or in the surrounding area if I can purchase from a dealer in another county) Maybe I've already been to one and didn't know.

If I do manage to successfully obtain a MG, does anyone know where I could shoot it in the Franklin County? I haven't been to a single range yet that allows full-auto.

How are the quality and condition of the typical NFA weapon? Since I'm limited to machines registered before May 19, 1986, is it likely that I will have to do some restoration work before I start heavily shooting, or are most MG, given their high prices, well maintained?it depends on what you buy. naturaly, you will want to purchase one with less wear. before you dive in, you should make sure the seller is above board and you will want to study up on the particular gun you are looking to buy

I've read through the process a couple times and I think I have it figured out. Do I understand the order of the process correctly?:

1) Go to Class III dealer, get 2 ATF form 5320.4s, 2 FBI FD-258 fingerprint cards, and 1 Certificate of Compliance.correct
    2) Go to CLEO to get forms signed, finger printed, and provide pictures and $200 check to the BATFE.correct
    2) Take signed forms back to gun dealernot really, you can send them in yourself unless the dealer wants to look them over agian
    3) Wait a zillion years for approval from BATFEwaits now are only taking 4-6 weeks
    4) Go back to Class III dealer once approved, fill out form 4473, and pay for itemmore than likely, you will have paid in full prior to sending in the paperwork

I realize it's probably a little bit trickier than that, but is that essentially what it amounts to?
    yep, actually, it is pretty easy after you get a couple under your belt.
    -------------