Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Tactical Shotgun Info?

So, I'm looking at buying another gun. Right now I'm torn between a nice 1911 and a tactical shotgun (specifically, the Charles Daly 2955).

The deciding factor will be practical usability. Handguns and trap shooting shotguns I can use fairly regularly, but I don't want to spend a ton of money ($400 is a lot for a college student haha) on a gun that is pretty much simply for home defense.

Does anyone know if there are any tactical shotgun competitions in the NEPA area? If anyone knows of any competitions that are held on a regular basis let me know, I'll probably head in the tac shotgun direction.
    "Twice today have I been told that my outfit does not match my gun..."

(York County)

Default Re: Tactical Shotgun Info?

The big rub with use of any long gun in home defense in the radical departure of what you an do on the range vs being inside the home. On the range you have room to move and can concentrate on targets. In the house banging the gun into walls while trying to keep the muzzle in a usable direction is the biggest problem. The other issue is that you need your reaction side hand a lot inside to open doors, flip light switches and negotiate obstacles. How about walking down a flight of steps in the dark (because you want to me all ninja like) and slipping because you are barefoot or just wearing socks. Have you even negotiated going up or down steps with both hands on a shotgun? ARs are lighter until you bolt on 12 lbs of crap. We are doing some Tac Shotgun classes next year in Quakertown- George

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    The big rub with use of any long gun in home defense in the radical departure of what you an do on the range vs being inside the home. On the range you have room to move and can concentrate on targets. In the house banging the gun into walls while trying to keep the muzzle in a usable direction is the biggest problem. The other issue is that you need your reaction side hand a lot inside to open doors, flip light switches and negotiate obstacles. How about walking down a flight of steps in the dark (because you want to me all ninja like) and slipping because you are barefoot or just wearing socks. Have you even negotiated going up or down steps with both hands on a shotgun? ARs are lighter until you bolt on 12 lbs of crap. We are doing some Tac Shotgun classes next year in Quakertown- George
    I wasn't really saying I wanted practicing for home defense by enrolling in tactical shotgun competitions, I moreso wanted something to do with my next new gun

I said "practical usability," but I guess I should have left it at just "usability"

(York County)

No worries. Just trying to help.- George

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by msquaredserver View Post
    So, I'm looking at buying another gun. Right now I'm torn between a nice 1911 and a tactical shotgun (specifically, the Charles Daly 2955).

The deciding factor will be practical usability. Handguns and trap shooting shotguns I can use fairly regularly,.
    I use my Mossberg 500 Persuader for trap....sure, it may look a little goofy, but I figure the more trigger time on something I'm going to use for HD, the better! I must say though that I don't compete...I just do it for the pure fun of it! This gun also has the 18.5" barrel and the ATI collapsable stock.....

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by QUADZILLA View Post
    I use my Mossberg 500 Persuader for trap....sure, it may look a little goofy, but I figure the more trigger time on something I'm going to use for HD, the better! I must say though that I don't compete...I just do it for the pure fun of it! This gun also has the 18.5" barrel and the ATI collapsable stock.....
    Are you actually good at it? Cause every gun store clerk I've asked if it could be used as a trap gun has said the same thing "you'll look goofy, and it'll be a challenge."

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by QUADZILLA View Post
    Good man, I have shot everything with my 590 including beanbags, skeet, and bag guys. When I was at NRA instructors school last year I busted every bird they threw with my 590. Be the gun Danny, dunna, dunna, dunna

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by msquaredserver View Post
    Are you actually good at it? Cause every gun store clerk I've asked if it could be used as a trap gun has said the same thing "you'll look goofy, and it'll be a challenge."
    Actually, I was pretty good at it!
    I found a fiber optic front sight at Wal-Mart for $4 & that helped a lot.
    I just tracked the clay with the front sight until the speeds matched up & pulled the trigger! I had no problem with the 18.5" barrel either.....it was a boat load of fun!

(Allegheny County)

Usually your local clubs that put on USPSA shoots will sometimes do shotgun "side matches". That's a good place to start looking. Also, I'd recommend a good sling for HD, as someone said previously, you may need to use a hand to open doors, move a loved one out of the way, etc. A sling also helps in transitioning to a pistol, another good technique to brush up on at the range.

(Lackawanna County)

I would just like to say, that this is all very interesting and INCREDIBLY good to know. I might just sell my current shotgun and go for the Charles Daly.

I'm incredibly excited

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast