Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: 30 30 for range use only?

Thanks for all the good advice guys. I went back to the shop to buy it today ( I was going to wait until Tuesday ) and of course its gone. This is the second time in as many tries that I missed a good deal due to dragging my feet. The last one I missed was a innox Beretta 92 for 499. Same store.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    that is, from my understanding, a GREAT price for one of those; i always see them for at least $400. i'd buy it, quick. also, the ammo isn't that expensive, not like .30-06 or anything.
    http://www.thecmp.org/ammosales.htm

The CMP has been successful in acquiring another very large quantity of HXP .30-06 ammo. We expect delivery in Jan 2010 and should have the ammo ready for sale by Feb or Mar. Until we actually receive and inspect the ammo, we will not know what packaging configurations will be available, but expect them to be the same as we have had for the past few years. We do not yet know what our final cost will be. We do know that the quantity is large enough to satisfy our customer needs for several years.

(Lancaster County)

Dont worry , starting monday or even tomorrow there will be a ton of them for sale at good prices. Trops gets them in all the time.
    No longer posting

Thing about the 1894 is pre 64 VS post 64 makes a huge difference in value/cost. You can look up the year with the serial on the internet. Also 30/30 ammo ballistics aren't all that good because they have to have a round or flat nose for the tubular magazine, unless you use the new leverevolution ammo by Hornady. That has a soft plastic point that won't ignite the next round in the magazine, but gives the ballistic characteristic of spitzer.

(Lawrence County)

a 30-30 is a great round to play with. also 1 of the cheapest rounds to reload also. i picked up a 336w a year ago for 190 out the door. use it at the range , can shoot it all day without a sore shoulder. i have some accurate loads for range use , but also have a large number of what ever is on sale bullets reloaded for playing or[ in case of shtf wich by the way i have this rifle]. less conspicuas than a [oh my god a black rifle] and a lot more punch than the 223 or 5.56 rounds. also a great rifle to thro under the back seat in a pickup and forget about, unti its needed. most people think that the 30-30 is good only for 100 to 150 yards, but with right ammo and practice you can take deer to 200 yards. i've seen one guy take a doe at 300 yards with a30-30, but this guy hunts all over the states and uses his marlin 30-30 only so he is pretty familar with the rifle and round. pick up a good inexpensive 30-30 put a good set peep or ghost ring sights on it , and you will have a great little hard punching range toy or defensive weapon , or put a good scope on it and you will a accurate target rifle with pet loads and a good hunting rifle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12