Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Advice sought

(Westmoreland County)

Red face Advice sought

Am proud owner of a G2 Contender with .223 barrel. I would like to hunt deer also and am looking to purchase another barrel. The Contender has limitations in caliber availability. Anyone with experience (or thoughts) on the best Contender barrel for the Pa woods? Any/all responses would be appreciated. Thank you!

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Advice sought

The G2 is the pistol, right. If so, read below...

44 Mag would work really well and the majority of premium store ammo would work well due to the barrel length being compatible with the average on the market. For example, if you bought a .308 barrel for the pistol and it was say 12 inches you would have a considerable fireball coming out of the muzzle. That fireball is because a large part of the powder is urning outside of the barrel and velocity will be lost over a 22 inch barrel.

460 S&W would also be a great choice as it can also take a few other calibers as well. Both choices would be hard hitting performance suitable for white tail here in PA in my opinion.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by Retired View Post
    Am proud owner of a G2 Contender with .223 barrel. I would like to hunt deer also and am looking to purchase another barrel. The Contender has limitations in caliber availability. Anyone with experience (or thoughts) on the best Contender barrel for the Pa woods? Any/all responses would be appreciated. Thank you!

The Contencer G2 is a fine handgun for deer, I have 2 of the G2's and a couple of the older contender's. If you are looking for a realy good deer round look into the 7-30 waters, Federal loads 120gr bullets for it, if you hand load you can do wonders with it.

Also if you are so in clined you can look into an SSK industries barrel for it, in one of the JDJ caliber's. For just a plain deer gun and varmints with the same barrel. For P.A. woods you cant beat the 30-30 in the contender, it will handle deer and bear with aplomb, and is not a pounder on the hand, if you want to step up a bit consider the 45-70goverment.

There are many wonderful calibers available for the Contender, and it is only limited by you cash flow and imagination.

If you have any other questions feel free to pm me as I have hunted with one of these for the last 15 years.

Scott

(Centre County)

The 7-30 Waters (basically a 30-30 case necked down to 7mm) is an excellent choice for PA woods. You can handload it to get the most out of the barrel length you choose and it can be exrtremely accurate. Good at short or long ranges.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member