Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Question 75 round AK drum

Anyone have experience with these? Do they work alright or will they piss me off constantly? The one I was looking at is a Romanian copy of the wind up Chinese type. Appreciate any input, thanks.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: 75 round AK drum

Don't own one, but the only thing that I can think of is that your probably shoot more ammo.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Allegheny County)

The Romy drums load a LOT differently/slower than the back-opening CHICOM drums; like a round or two at a time as you ratchet them into a charged position.

Which is why they used to be far cheaper than the easily loaded/unloaded CHICOM drums that you wind when ready to charge.

IMHO; if you had an NFA AK - especially in RPK config - the drums would be great, but just like the drums for the semi-TSMGs, they quickly become a novelty.

Edit: Regardless; given that the TSMG drums were worth their weight in gold when the 94 ban kicked in - absolutely get yourself any AK drum!
    Last edited by nfafan; December 10th, 2009 at 11:40 PM.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

I actually own two of the ones you are talking about but have yet to load / fire them. Will let you know when I do

(Montgomery County)

The one I was looking at is a Romanian copy of the wind up Chinese type.
    Just to clarify, you seem to be talking about the Romy copies of the rear-loading Bulgarian drums, not the old Romy slanted drums (which don't open from the back).

I have a Bulgarian drum. I'll lay it out for you:

Pros:

- easy to load, no tension during storage, ready to go anytime
    - they are cool looking for photo ops, and very menacing looking
    - a "must have" if you are an AK collector
    - it gives you a lot of mag capacity if you are plinking, or during a civil disorder crisis (if it ever came to that)

Cons:

- they jingle like a piggy bank if you run with it (not tactically quiet)
    - the loaded drum is heavy (especially when bringing it up to your shoulder)
    - the price isn't great compared to mags.... and predictably, some dude will sneer during this thread "well I could buy 10 thirty round mags for that price!" (as if we never thought of that). Bottom line, if the drum is a "must have" in your heart, this argument doesn't mean anything.

I would argue its more of a novelty than anything else. Sort of like how some AK lovers are really into bayonets, but some don't care. I like my drum a lot, but that is just me.

(Allegheny County)

J&G Sales has them for $90.
    Shipping to PA (At least western PA was $10)

My thoughts, these are far too menacing not to have one. Unlike some of the drum mags for many weapons these are arsenal made, and intended for use with kalashnikov pattern rifles from their inception. Not the after thought of some small company looking to cash in and check out. Plus, these designs have been around for I dunno, 50 years? And I'm sure they do vary in quality somewhat, but given that they were all military contract at some point. I'm sure they most usually work as intended.

Back when things were crazy and they all cost $250+ I held off. Now that they are back into $80-100 range. I decided to pick some up.

(Butler County)

Thumbs up Re: 75 round AK drum

Thanks for the input guys. I've decided that I will buy some of these now that I know I can pick them up for much cheaper than I thought the going price was. I did see AK drums going for over 200 a while ago so that new price seems like a steal.

(Allegheny County)

They also do volume discounts.

I think you have to buy 3. Had you posted this yesterday, maybe we could have set up a group buy, or all gone in together. I have a friend that would be in for one or two, I just bought one. If you bought 1 or 2 we could have got them for $80. You're like 20 minutes from me.

(Montgomery County)

these drums are intended for the 24" barrel RPK squad auto AK with a bipod.., not really the rifle... but lucky fo US... they work

I have several of the chinese AK drums in the 75 and 100rd sizes, along with the 5.56 versions for ARs.. they all work flawlessly.

back loaders have some dangers... weak easily broken springs from over winding... NEVER FORCE THEM, no more than 3 full turns, they will CUT the crap out of your fingers... use caution when releasing spring tension!

i also have the Romanian/Russian style slanted top loaders... they also work flawlessly, both in semi and full auto.

as for the bulgarian chinese copies...I dont know about those...

however, aside from the previously mentioned issues about the rattle and heaviness... the other flaw is non replaceable ribbon springs. they break, yer screwed, and have a paperweight.

al that being said, they wont probably be used enough to wear out, especially now when ammo costs are high.

proof they work good in FA... this is me shooting one of my 100rd chinese back loaders in a post sample AMD65....
    http://www.bigboomstick.com/guns/wolverines.wmv
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Allegheny County)

Jay, that right there put a smile on my face.

Yes sir it did.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast