Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Legality of carrying in a national guard armory???

Jessica Wright can make what ever rule she want on her post. The FTIG Police do patrol every inch of that post and are sworn Police Officers. Also the state Police also work with the FTIG Police on different matters. Last year a gap-a-saurus was brought back to one of the neighboring barracks and then said she was raped and some bullshit etc. The corner of area 13 by the General Dyanmics buildings was swarming with PSP.

Now going back 15 years ago, we were awoken to flashlights in our faces by who ever was the police force at the time , because a few of us had some long guns in our vehicles to go to a local range the next day, even though they were in cases, they made us check them in at the station in their arms room. At some point in the night, the security was looking through vehicle windows in the parking lots and sen them. We did not get busted or anything , just a pissed off barracks from being woken up.

As for the local armory's , they are owned and run by the state armory board or some shit like that. As a civilian, I do not think there is any law stating you can't BUT you could be asked to not have it by the Commander or anyone in a leadership role.

I wouldn't OC but if you CC (at your training meeting or other capacity when not on duty there) I would keep it under the don't ask , don't tell rule.

Very interesting Thread for sure.

I don't condone illegal behavior by any means but ahh, I ain't no fish in a barrel either. As far as any federal property, if the D.C. Case is being held up by some courts saying the ruling only applies to Federal Property and not the states through the 14th Amendment, then as far as I'm concerned, NO FEDERAL Propety can restrict the Rights of a Citizen, period.

Just because of current political climate and policy, that don't make it right or legal.

If the people are the government and the owners of said Property, then how does one restrict themselves? As we've all said, The Federal Government has gotten to strong and out of control, PERIOD!

Glad people pointed out that, one needs to be on ACTIVE DUTY orders to be under UMCJ so weekend drills and other meetings outside of AT don't count as far as UCMJ.

Without a doubt, I'm ashamed that our Leadership has taken such an Anti- Right stance. What do we fight for if not for the Freedoms we have? Purely political and career driven. Exact opposite of what I was trained to do as a leader.

I very recently read a news article at a local ACTIVE DUTY base and their policy on firearms & ammunition put out by DES. WOW. No Soldier living in Post Housing can have a loaded firearm in said living quarters. Must be locked in a lockable container and unloaded. There goes the Second Amendment right to bear arms and the ability to defend one's self from in home self defense scenario. WOW, no more than 1,000 rounds of total ammo and no more than 2 pounds of reloading powder.

It was very clear to me that no research or consultation was done with those who actually own firearms, reloaded, or believe in the Bill of Rights. I do believe this post policy is in violation of the US Constitution, at face value.

Its funny, I was asked to review a new regulation/policy/manual last year.
    The area was Installation Access Control: anyone (military & Civlian) entering a military installation would have his or her ID card scanned and that scan would automatically check NCIC, post ban list, National Spook Bank, etc...and the one that got a very loud burst of Laughter, The National Concealed Firearms Permit Registry. Yup, apparently the clowns who write manuals actually think there is a National Concealed Weapons Permit database.

What really amazed me was that very high level Officer's and NCO's had no idea there was no such thing. Believed that all guns had to be registered and that permits were needed to own all firearms. I'm just very thankful that the panel actually listened and believed me when I told them the truth.
    Hollywood has done an awesome job at brainwashing people, including those who are in charge of the Worlds Best Army.

(Montgomery County)

I'm a little late but I would call a JAG at the gap or dix and ask.
    I know carrying a private firearm in uniform would be a problem if found. you would definitely catch some serious paperwork in my ANG unit for that kind of thing.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post
    Very interesting Thread for sure.

I don't condone illegal behavior by any means but ahh, I ain't no fish in a barrel either. As far as any federal property, if the D.C. Case is being held up by some courts saying the ruling only applies to Federal Property and not the states through the 14th Amendment, then as far as I'm concerned, NO FEDERAL Propety can restrict the Rights of a Citizen, period.

Just because of current political climate and policy, that don't make it right or legal.

If the people are the government and the owners of said Property, then how does one restrict themselves? As we've all said, The Federal Government has gotten to strong and out of control, PERIOD!

Glad people pointed out that, one needs to be on ACTIVE DUTY orders to be under UMCJ so weekend drills and other meetings outside of AT don't count as far as UCMJ.

Without a doubt, I'm ashamed that our Leadership has taken such an Anti- Right stance. What do we fight for if not for the Freedoms we have? Purely political and career driven. Exact opposite of what I was trained to do as a leader.

I very recently read a news article at a local ACTIVE DUTY base and their policy on firearms & ammunition put out by DES. WOW. No Soldier living in Post Housing can have a loaded firearm in said living quarters. Must be locked in a lockable container and unloaded. There goes the Second Amendment right to bear arms and the ability to defend one's self from in home self defense scenario. WOW, no more than 1,000 rounds of total ammo and no more than 2 pounds of reloading powder.

It was very clear to me that no research or consultation was done with those who actually own firearms, reloaded, or believe in the Bill of Rights. I do believe this post policy is in violation of the US Constitution, at face value.

Its funny, I was asked to review a new regulation/policy/manual last year.
    The area was Installation Access Control: anyone (military & Civlian) entering a military installation would have his or her ID card scanned and that scan would automatically check NCIC, post ban list, National Spook Bank, etc...and the one that got a very loud burst of Laughter, The National Concealed Firearms Permit Registry. Yup, apparently the clowns who write manuals actually think there is a National Concealed Weapons Permit database.

What really amazed me was that very high level Officer's and NCO's had no idea there was no such thing. Believed that all guns had to be registered and that permits were needed to own all firearms. I'm just very thankful that the panel actually listened and believed me when I told them the truth.
    Hollywood has done an awesome job at brainwashing people, including those who are in charge of the Worlds Best Army.
    That's a common practice on USAF bases. Normally they require you, if you reside in gov housing, to place your weapon in a Security Forces (MP) operated armory where you can check it in and out for use. That's not to say everyone follows that. It's up to the installation commander if they want this policy but normally they follow it because they are afraid of losing an O grade if airman andy fires off a round in his dorm room.
    Like you said a lot of the upper brass, in our case former pilots who are pissed off that they fly a desk now, have no clue about the systems and laws outside the fence line.

(Lehigh County)

It doesn't matter if one is "getting paid" or not. A reservist or guardsman is still given certain other compensations which does subject someone to the UCMJ. (life insurance, medical care, financial aid for college, etc)

Also, you are always subject to the UCMJ for the duration of your contract. Drill weekends or not, on/off duty. Whichever unit belongs to the armory in question has its own plus higher battalion orders, division orders, Dept of the Army orders,etc. All bind their personnel, and I can guarrentee that one of them forbids private firearms - or at the least require them to be turned in to the armory, and picked up only by written permission of the CO.

Failure to obey a lawful written order can result in a court martial.

If you have a question, see your office administrators who should have binders on all written orders of your unit, battalion, regiment, division, ect.

(Lebanon County)

I also work at FTIG. The last copy of the TAG's policy that I have seen has a section about armories and being rented out for civilain use. It basically says if an armory is rented out for a firearms show that only during the show hours are persons permitted to have firearms inside the facility. It did not clarify if CC was permitted during the show but I would venture to say that its a NO.

Also someone asked about who partols FTIG. The base has its own security force that can/does cover the state road that runs thru the base. However if they do stop your vehicle they are not able to issue tickets and have to call the PSP to issue tickets or handle any issues. Basically all they are good for is fishing for DUI arrests over drill weekends.

At all of the entrance points to the base have signs posted notifying you that you are entering a military base and you are subject to search and seizure as well as UCMJ action.

I know many people that do CC daily to and from work and leave it in there vehicle. I personally see no reason that I have to give up my right to protect myself on my trip to and from base. I often stop for gas or other places after work and if I want to CC so be it.
    "Remember the first rule of gunfighting ... have a gun." Jeff Cooper

(Montgomery County)

Actually the FTIG police can and will issue warnings and citations. They are their own Police department and their officers are SWORN officers with arrest powers etc.

http://www.figpolice.com/home

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234