Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: Legality of carrying in a national guard armory???

1) There is no PA law that I am aware of that would preclude a person from carrying in the armory.

2) I would not try to challenge to orders of a superior in regards to the carrying of a weapon in the armory.

I work out at Ft Indiantown Gap, and I know about a two or three months ago they put out a letter from the TAG stating no personal firearms are allowed on any National Guard facilities. So that is probablely where your First Sargent is getting his info.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    1) There is no PA law that I am aware of that would preclude a person from carrying in the armory.

2) I would not try to challenge to orders of a superior in regards to the carrying of a weapon in the armory.
    What about a Civilian Visitor?

(Monroe County)

You are correct as long as they are not on Active Federal Service. I am not a JAG and it would take one of the them to explain what would happen. From my aspect if The Commander of the Armory told the troops it was OK (Never Happen) to carry while in uniform then his/her career would be very short and their would be a policy posted in minutes forbidding weapons in uniform other than issue ones.
    One must tread lightly when attempting to piss in another’s bowl of cheerios. When your COC puts out policy, standards or regulations you have to ask yourself how far you are willing to go and how much you are willing to lose in pursuit of your choices.

(Allegheny County)

I work at an Air National Guard base (state funded facility) and the only people who can carry there are us civilian guards and the Air National Guard cops.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

Things must have really changed since I got out back in 1966.

Pissing off the first shirt, no matter who is 'right', never seemed like the best idea I ever heard! Of course, my service was active duty in a small southeast Asian country and the 1st shirt was God.

PS: The guy with the most stripes makes the rules.

(Lehigh County)

National Guard soldiers on Drill status do not fall under the UCMJ. In Pa they fall under the PCMJ (Pa Code of Military Justice) which has the same rules/Articles as the UCMJ except the punishments lack "teeth".

IANAL nor JAG, but I tried to begin UCMJ actions on a soldier and the JAG told me it didn't apply unless the soldier is on Title 10 (Active Duty) Orders.

Carry in a National Guard armory is not against the law, the philly armory has gun shows. If it is legal to sell guns in a building it sure as hell is legal to carry them.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Monroe County)

Carry in uniform when not ordered or given permission by ones Commanding Officer is a BIG NO-NO. Pissing ones 1SG off when all he did was warn and not pursue any actions is a ticket toa crap load of trouble.

(Allegheny County)

I've been out for a couple years myself, split a career between active and NG. Never had a problem with my superiors while carrying a personal sidearm. A bunch of the other sgts were local LEO's and they carried as well.

To the OP's 1Sgt I would have to say what...does a National Guard Armory seem like LESS of a target for terroristic activity? All I know is that if someone stormed the armory looking to cause damage the closest firearm we could get to if we weren't allowed to have our own were the M-4's locked in the vault in the basement. A whole lotta death can be done before someone gets the Supply Sgt. to shake a leg (assuming he doesn't die before that) and open up the vault.

Just sayin, the OP's 1Sgt is an ass but if thats the drivel he's spewing then until you get the XO or CO to override him (at the company level) his order is lawful. and as such needs to be obeyed...but it doesn't need to be accepted. Work it up the chain...see what comes down the pike.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mechairpow View Post
    I work out at Ft Indiantown Gap, and I know about a two or three months ago they put out a letter from the TAG stating no personal firearms are allowed on any National Guard facilities. So that is probablely where your First Sargent is getting his info.
    This TAG Memo was recently re-released Monday. (when I got it) I am already starting my way up the chain of command to get this policy changed. I didn't post about this process as I am not sure how it will pan out. I have only made it as far as my Bn Commander (LTC) so far. More info will follow if/when progress is made.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast