Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: PAFOA: Past, Present & Future - Now with Question & Answer Time

Quote Originally Posted by Kendrickson
    As you begin to organize PAFOA towards a more organized unit, what do you envision for the organizational structure of the association? Will there be board members, will the association members vote on issues within the association, etc.?
    Quote Originally Posted by -JD-
    Will PAFOA be a benevolent dictatorship, or some form of "democracy".
    Currently PAFOA is legally structured as a non-member organization, with the option to convert to a member organization in the future. I feel strongly that it should remain as it is for the time being for a few reasons:

1. I do not believe the organization itself has matured enough. I feel that it must better organize to get itself moving in the right general direction before we can consider opening up that level of involvement.
    2. Because of the previous point, I imagine PAFOA would quite literally be incapable of handling the massive overhead such a structure would entail until a lot of other prerequisites are met. If we're being perfectly honest and self-deprecating, we haven't even had the time and resources to get a reliable blog running yet. There's simply no way we can handle a membership organization with potentially tens of thousands of members.

Once PAFOA reaches a state where it is stable, organized, and has some momentum, I believe it is likely that PAFOA will begin adding more layers of management that may involve the concepts mentioned.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by max384
    When the 'unity' program is complete, will those of us who are currently members of the forum need to sign up anew? Or will we just be able to provide any additional information necessary to be contacted? Thanks
    When the "PAFOA Account" system launches all forum accounts will automatically have "PAFOA Accounts" created for them with the exact same login information as exists on your forum account. From there on out any changes to email address, passwords, etc, will be synchronized across the various software platforms (this is one of the larger technical hurdles I am grappling with in the implementation.) At that point you can simply choose to provide the additional optional information that may be asked.
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L
    Will the new my.pafoa site ask for background info so as to check skill sets for volunteers?
    For the first generation of my.pafoa I'm trying to keep the requirements limited and realistic (otherwise it'll never come to fruition.) Right now those include:

1. The ability to register and login to a "PAFOA Account".
    2. The ability to link your "PAFOA Account" to your forum account.
    3. The ability to provide an email address, a real address and a phone number.
    4. The ability to control which ways PAFOA is allowed to contact you, and about which topics you want to be contacted.

For future generations of the platform, I could see it being very useful for members to optionally provide more demographic information such as birth dates, occupations, skills, interests, etc.

The idea is that if I can lay the foundation for a centralized "membership" system outside of a third-party system (the forum) that I can't program much with, the sky is the limit for what we can do.

(Philadelphia County)

Will you be able to assure us privacy in the info given?
    What I can assure members of is that your information is never, ever shared with anyone else, ever, period unless you explicitly allow/tell us to. We take great strides to prevent access to any data in PAFOA's systems. All access is on a need-to-know basis only within the organization.

(Philadelphia County)

Have you thought also perhaps of having official contact people with other organizations? Like a PAFOA rep in charge of co-ordinating and communication with FOAC as a dedicated task.
    I have not yet envisioned an organization so large that we would need established liaisons between organizations, but who knows what could happen. It may be that certain roles (as they come into being) contain a requirement to reach out to similar roles in other organizations. Honestly, I haven't given this much thought and I think it's probably a ways off before this is necessary.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by steve762
    If you had 3-5 areas where members can make a positive contribution going forward, where would it be?
    Quote Originally Posted by Floyd
    I'm passionate, maybe to a fault. I'm a veteran, business owner, and patriot. The question is what can I do?

1. Educate yourself as much as possible about as many things as possible. One of the reasons that our movement has been so successful is because of a highly educated and highly motivated user base. The three topics I think gun owners need to educate themselves the most on are: a) The law: The more each gun owner understands about the laws that exist, the laws that are proposed, the better they will be at educating other gun owners, non-gun owners, politicians, and the press. b) Politics: Gun owners really, really need to understand how politics actually works. Even in my very limited experience I have quickly learned that it is ugly, frustrating, and has the ability to make you lose faith in the world. That is however not an excuse to check out. It is the system we live in and I strongly believe that if we can learn how to use that system we can accomplish our goals. c) Public Relations: It's pretty well understood that anti-gun forces have free reign of the media. Whatever they say is taken as fact and will be reprinted over and over. The only way we can combat this is by challenging ourselves to take advantage of every opportunity we have in the media. In my opinion this means we need to present a public image that is professional, informed, and works to maximize public opinion in our favor.
    2. Become a leader, even if that is only within the context of your group of friends. The death of political action largely comes from apathy and gun owners are no exception (some argue we're some of the worst offenders.) This movement needs as many people as it can possibly find to say "Hey, guys, we really need to get off our butts and go to this rally." Don't wait for someone else to tell you what to do, look for something to do and work with other gun owners to see if your ideas have potential.
    3. Become active! Like above, we just need people to become more active. Last year we packed at least a thousand people into the capitol building for our rally, my hope is that this year we can beat that number. If our movement acted as much as it talked, I don't think there would be a gun control law on the books.
    4. Pay attention to PAFOA for "job openings" in the future. My guess is that as a result of a lot of the discussion we've been having, PAFOA is going to start putting calls out for volunteers in areas where we need help.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Rifleman
    Due to the varied nature of you needs, have you considered requesting a list of member's skills?
    I did that once before and (probably most likely because it wasn't followed up on properly) it wasn't really successful. I believe that next time I put out the call for volunteers I am going to do it the other way around and treat it more as a job opening where I list what needs to be done, what skills are required, and let people apply if they feel they fit the bill.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bmaninmifco
    I would like to know more about the president and founder beyond the RKBA. Anything just something to help give the feel of Danp the man.
    Some basic biographic information: I'm 27, I was born in Maryland, grew up in Upstate, NY and went to college and currently live in Philadelphia. My degree is in multimedia and web development and I work as a software engineer designing, developing and implementing an eCommerce platform for the company I work for. I am an absolute workaholic but when I do have the time my hobbies are going to the range, playing pool, and PAFOA.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bmaninmifco
    From what I have seen we have a lot of members from different states. You obviously have the knowledge to get an group like this started. Have their been talks to start a coalition of similiar groups or would that be 2 nra'ish.
    While we're happy to have members from other states on our site and forum (some of our most knowledgeable contributors are from out of state) there are no plans to attempt to represent any other state or create franchises elsewhere. One state is more than enough work. We intend to focus on the PA in PAFOA.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by MrBi11
    As stated in my profile, I'm from Michigan, but I access the forums daily, Do you foresee keeping up on the national stuff also, not just Pa's.
    I will always encourage information about national gun issues to be posted and discussed on PAFOA whether at the national level or in other states. A lot of the gun control schemes we see are often repeated all over and everything we can learn about the tactics being used in California can prepare us for them when they come to Pennsylvania or anywhere else.

As far as action, I see PAFOA organizing only in Pennsylvania for the foreseeable future. As noted above, Other states would be outside of our mission and attempting to play ball on the national level would make us a small fish in a large pond where our ROI would probably be a fraction of what we can get done by focusing on PA alone.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast