Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    (Chester County)

Question Do you carry a knife?

Do you carry a folding knife, or even larger fixed blade, along w/your sidearm?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Do you carry a knife?

yes. i carry a knife on my support side specifically for use in weapon retention. i currently carry a folder, but am, at some point, going to switch to a fixed blade.

i have also "staged" this knife when jogging and seeing off-leash dogs on the trail and not seeing any owners around. it is easy to open the knife and hide it in your hand ("staging" it) so that, if the dogs attack, you are ready to defend yourself, but, if the owners appear they do not see a weapon in your hand.

(i have never actually had to used the knife to fend off a dog attack...and i love dogs, but it is prudent to be wary of loose dogs with no owners in sight. often on trails, people let their dogs off leash and the dogs get out ahead of them. no biggie. but you don't know for sure that is the case until you see the owner.)

i also carry a second folder that i use for everyday cutting tasks.
    F*S=k

Quote Originally Posted by MagicMan View Post
    Do you carry a folding knife, or even larger fixed blade, along w/your sidearm?
    I don't really have much of a choice, although there are certain nuances to the reasons for carrying it that move it out of the boundaries of being a weapon, sharp or not. I never fail to have a folding knife with me for more mundane reasons.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    yes. i carry a knife on my support side specifically for use in weapon retention. i currently carry a folder, but am, at some point, going to switch to a fixed blade.

i have also "staged" this knife when jogging and seeing off-leash dogs on the trail and not seeing any owners around. it is easy to open the knife and hide it in your hand ("staging" it) so that, if the dogs attack, you are ready to defend yourself, but, if the owners appear they do not see a weapon in your hand.

(i have never actually had to used the knife to fend off a dog attack...and i love dogs, but it is prudent to be wary of loose dogs with no owners in sight. often on trails, people let their dogs off leash and the dogs get out ahead of them. no biggie. but you don't know for sure that is the case until you see the owner.)

i also carry a second folder that i use for everyday cutting tasks.
    ^^This. Well, substitue walking slow and laboriously for jogging.
    "bukakee ≠ waterboarding" ~tlgpa

(Chester County)

I carry a knife always. Just like wearing my wristwatch, its a part of my wardrobe. Simple Folding lockback.

(Allegheny County)

me too, i also often carry a multitool as well.
    MORDENTE MEUM

(Lehigh County)

Kabar Dozier Thorn, every day.

Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

(Lebanon County)

Leatherman multi-tool and one handed opening folder from Gerber.

(Lackawanna County)

i always carry a knife with me, at least one. sometimes two. a .45ACP round doesn't open boxes quite as good as a knife does, and the last time i shot my steak into neat little slices at Perkin's, i was asked to leave.

if you carry a gun, you should carry a knife; it's part of the force continuum, for one thing, and a gun is strictly a lethal weapon, whereas a knife can be used for multiple applications.

(Franklin County)

I'm odd. I can't stand a lot of things in my pockets. Not even a wallet. I don't carry a knife, but I carry OC spray and I usually have my NAA .22 magnum as a back up. This next spring, I really want to check into different carry techniques. Perhaps a different type pants and belt. The problem is I prefer nice fitting jeans or dressing up in slacks and a nice shirt when I'm out. The baggy type or cargo pants are something I tried, but didn't like.

I want to be able to carry self defense items comfortably and to a certain degree unnoticeably. But if it's uncomfortable or not my style, I know it'll end up spending money on things I'll never use. I admit I'm picky, but I'm certain there's attire and equipment out there that suits my needs. The problem is finding it and being able to try it out before purchasing. Sadly, from my observation, most of it's only available online.

I'd like to carry my S&W 642, my NAA mini, OC spray, a knife, a recorder and perhaps a small flashlight. But for a guy that doesn't even like carrying a wallet, I'm afraid I'm in for a whole new way of dressing and carrying it all without looking like Dog the bounty hunter.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast