Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Adams County)

Default Armed professer stops attack

Link for "Professor issues statement" on page two of thread.

http://www.whtm.com/news/stories/1209/685573.html

Swatara Township, Pa. - Swatara Township Police are looking for a stabbing suspect.

They said around 10:20 Monday night they responded to the Kaplan Institute on Derry Street.

They said 29-year-old Kevin Forde went to the school and confronted his wife and another man, 30-year-old Dillon Mitchell. Police said Forde and Mitchell began to scuffle. That's when Forde pulled out a three or four inch knife and stabbed Mitchell seven or eight times, according to investigators.

Forde is charged with attempted homicide.

Police said a criminal justice professor, Michael Minto, pulled a gun and ordered Forde to drop the knife.

Forde then fled the area with his wife, police said.

Deputy Chief Jason Umberger said the professor's actions may have prevented the situation from becoming deadly.

"He must have believed that unless he took the action he took that the assault would continue and we might be talking about somebody that died," Umberger said.

Forde's wife returned to the scene and reportedly told investigators she had dropped her husband off at the intersection of 13th and Sycamore Streets in the City of Harrisburg. Police said she could face charges as well.

Mitchell was released from the hopsital Tuesday.

"We're very, very relieved Dillon is okay," said Sherry Rosenberg of the Kaplan Institute. "Dillon is a fine young man. We care about him."

Police said Forde should be considered dangerous. Anyone with information on his whereabouts is asked to call police right away.
    Last edited by average joe; December 9th, 2009 at 10:42 PM. Reason: added link on page two of thread

Default Re: Armed professer stops attack

Actually interesting the reaction from the cops. Personally I would have thought they would have charged him for pulling the gun .. that grey area between 'no escape' and feeling 'your life or others are in danger'.

Will have to watch how this one plays out over the long term.

(Lycoming County)

He has the same right to defend others as he has to defend himself.

Be safe (and he ain't heavy, he's my Brother).

Scott

§ 506. Use of force for the protection of other persons

(a) General rule.--The use of force upon or toward the person of another is justifiable to protect a third person when:

(1) the actor would be justified under section 505 of this title (relating to use of force in self-protection) in using such force to protect himself against the injury he believes to be threatened to the person whom he seeks to protect;

(2) under the circumstances as the actor believes them to be, the person whom he seeks to protect would be justified in using such protective force; and

(3) the actor believes that his intervention is necessary for the protection of such other person.

(b) Exceptions.--Notwithstanding subsection (a) of this section:

(1) When the actor would be obliged under section 505 of this title to retreat, to surrender the possession of a thing or to comply with a demand before using force in self-protection, he is not obliged to do so before using force for the protection of another person, unless he knows that he can thereby secure the complete safety of such other person.

(2) When the person whom the actor seeks to protect would be obliged under section 505 of this title to retreat, to surrender the possession of a thing or to comply with a demand if he knew that he could obtain complete safety by so doing, the actor is obliged to try to cause him to do so before using force in his protection if the actor knows that he can obtain complete safety in that way.

(3) Neither the actor nor the person whom he seeks to protect is obliged to retreat when in the dwelling or place of work of the other to any greater extent than in his own.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    Actually interesting the reaction from the cops. Personally I would have thought they would have charged him for pulling the gun .. that grey area between 'no escape' and feeling 'your life or others are in danger'.

I was really surprised to see the deputy chief's comments about the situation on pulling the gun.

(Montgomery County)

It's certainly easy for me to say since I wasn't involved in any form, but this clearly fits, IMO. Let me clarify: I believe that knowing only what this article tells us, a reasonable person may certainly feel their own life or the lives of others may have been in serious danger in this situation. I certainly agree with you, though, in that it's surprising to hear the cop's response.

Also,

Quote Originally Posted by average joe View Post
    ...Forde then fled the area with his wifed...Forde's wife returned to the scene and reportedly told investigators she had dropped her husband off at the intersection of 13th and Sycamore Streets in the City of Harrisburg...
    Where do these people come from?

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by average joe View Post
    http://www.whtm.com/news/stories/1209/685573.html
    They said 29-year-old Kevin Forde went to the school and confronted his wife and another man, 30-year-old Dillon Mitchell. Police said Forde and Mitchell began to scuffle. That's when Forde pulled out a three or four inch knife and stabbed Mitchell seven or eight times, according to investigators.

Police said a criminal justice professor, Michael Minto, pulled a gun and ordered Forde to drop the knife.
    Wait, a gun at a school, why wasn't the professor charged. "sarcasim"

Assuming you've made the decision to defend another individual (another topic) this is about as close as you'll get to justifiable: "Forde pulled out a three or four inch knife and stabbed Mitchell seven or eight times..." Even if the law required it, it's tough to imagine the victim being able to retreat "on complete safety."

He's probably good legally; it'll be interesting to see how the school responds. It's possible that being a "Criminal Justice Professor" at a small school, he's also an LEO.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by cgbudde View Post
    Wait, a gun at a school, why wasn't the professor charged. "sarcasim"
    Exactly. Guns have NO places in schools, especially institutes of higher education where people who are normally permitted to possess and carry firearms are attending.

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Good for the professor! I am wondering if he would have been justified in using deadly force to stop the man from "fleeing" with his wife. If I had just wittnessed this I would assume he was kidnapping his wife and that she could be in mortal danger.

I can't believe they are potentially charging the wife. She just saw her husband stab a man 7 or 8 times. Is it unreasonable to think she may have feared that if she didn't comply that he would stab her as well?

(Bucks County)

Armed professor....isn't that an oxymoron ??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast