Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Glock 34 vs Glock 17 accuracy

I want to know from people who actually have shot both and can tell me if there is any significant difference in accuracy. Especially at 25+ yrds. I would really like to hear numbers like reduced group by 1in not just yes its better. I installed all of the G34 parts on my G17 so the only real difference between the two is the length of the barrel and the sight radius. I've been thinking about selling my G17 and switching to the 34 for IDPA and was wondering if it was worth it. Any info would be appreciated.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Glock 34 vs Glock 17 accuracy

I own both. I've shot them both with and without the 3.5 connector. I currently use a G34 for IDPA and IPSC Production. It's set up with LPA FO adjustable sights, Jager captured plastic guide rod, 13# ISMI recoil spring, Vanek Classic trigger kit, and outdoor stair tape on the grips.

If you're asking about pure mechanical accuracy potential, I haven't seen any difference.

If you're talking usable accuracy for slow fire, I haven't noticed any difference that isn't attributable to the LPA sights, which give me a better picture than the stock cup and ball setup I have on the G17. The sight radius difference just isn't that big of a deal. If you have all the time in the world to make a shot it it doesn't matter.

If you're talking usable accuracy for fast/competitive speed shooting, I see a slight difference. I can shoot the G34 with the same accuracy as I can the G17, just a tiny bit faster shot to shot at distances within 15 yards. I'm talking .02s faster shot to shot times with the same accuracy. That's probably not sight radius, that's probably just being more familiar with the feeling of recoil from the G34 because I shoot it more than the G17. That said, the downside of the G34 is that it takes me a tiny bit longer -- .06s or so -- to draw to the first shot.

If you already own a G17, I wouldn't sell it for a G34. If I were going to use it solely for IDPA, I'd just throw on some decent honking big adjustable FO sights, Vanek Classic Trigger kit, tape it up, and get shooting. If you're going to use it for carry and IDPA, I'd get a set of fixed FO sights, put the stock 5lb. factory connector back in, tape it up and shoot.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Allegheny County)

i cannot offer personal experience as i only own and shoot a G17.

however, a fairly serious IPSC shooter i know who switched from a G17 to a G34 said that he found the longer sight radius actually slowed him down on target transitions (took longer to acquire the sight pic on the new target) shortly after he made the switch--which would kinda make sense in theory since there is a little less room for error in getting the front sight in the rear sight notch (as movement of the front sight is magnified as it gets further from the rear sight). i'm not sure there is enough difference to really make a difference, though, but that particular shooter seemed to notice.
    F*S=k

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    i cannot offer personal experience as i only own and shoot a G17.

however, a fairly serious IPSC shooter i know who switched from a G17 to a G34 said that he found the longer sight radius actually slowed him down on target transitions (took longer to acquire the sight pic on the new target) shortly after he made the switch--which would kinda make sense in theory since there is a little less room for error in getting the front sight in the rear sight notch (as movement of the front sight is magnified as it gets further from the rear sight). i'm not sure there is enough difference to really make a difference, though, but that particular shooter seemed to notice.
    That could make sense -- you're got a little more mass out towards the front, too, and that'll slow down your swing of the gun.

Did your friend notice that the issue persisted? Did it go away? Or did he just get used to it?

It also raises an interesting question: G34s vastly outnumber G17s in competition. I wonder how many of those shoot G34s simply because "everyone knows you need a G34 to compete" and how many have consciously decided that they shoot better with it than a G17.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Chester County)

There have been days where I shot a G26 tighter than a G17.

If you're shooting bullseye, a fitted bar-sto barrel in either is king. If you're shooting games, it doesn't matter...but the G34 will shoot a little softer.

I wouldn't switch guns unless you're super serious about it.

I shoot a G19 in ESP and typically do well. It's more what you're used to than anything else. Rob Leatham can shoot a XD better than most people can shoot a 1911. I wouldn't sweat using a 17 in competition.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rule10b5 View Post
    It also raises an interesting question: G34s vastly outnumber G17s in competition. I wonder how many of those shoot G34s simply because "everyone knows you need a G34 to compete" and how many have consciously decided that they shoot better with it than a G17.
    I think a lot of people go buy the 34 knowing that it's setup for competition with the extended and lightened controls...then never really bother comparing its performance to the 17.

I don't think there are MANY competitive shooters who own both, and run both extensively enough to discover the differences in performance between them.

I think this is a question to look into on the enos forums...
    http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showforum=22
    Last edited by synergy; December 8th, 2009 at 06:19 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rule10b5 View Post
    Did your friend notice that the issue persisted? Did it go away? Or did he just get used to it?
    i didn't shoot much IPSC at all this summer due to ammo price/availability issues, so i'm not sure. next time i see him, though, i will ask. i'm curious, too.
    F*S=k

(Lawrence County)

At 25 yards, I find the extra inch of sight radius very valuable at speed. Mechanical accuracy of both guns is the same, but the longer sight radius is just easier to shoot. Sometimes I wish I would have bought a 6" 2011 instead if the 5".

In close, I'm faster with the longer gun as well. Indexing over the slide seems to be easier for me with the "long gun".

Lycanitdependsonthepersonthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

I think I'll stick with my 17 until the fabled new Glock with the adjustable grips comes out. I like mine but the grip is just a little too big and I get hung up hitting the mag release every once in a while. The extended controls helped a lot but it's still a little stretch to drop the mag. I actually like the crappy Glock trigger and the feel of the gun so I don't want to switch to another brand. I'll just wait for a while. From what all of you said I don't think I'm at the skill level where I'll really notice a significant difference. Thanks for the info.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Montgomery County)

Can't comment on the 34 but for whatever reason I shoot alittle better at bullseye with my 26 than my 17,,currently experimenting with the 17 trigger between stock connector and spring , 3.5 connector/stock spring and 3.5 connect/NY1 trigger spring
    Glock Certified Armorer, GSSF Member, NRA Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast