Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Swapping uppers back and forth

Okay, so I really want an AR project (but it's cutting into my motorcycle money) and could use two. I plan on building from a stripped lower (THANKS Lycan!) and throwing on an adjustable butstock. Here is the problem.

I want a very short barrell, iron sighted, handle equipped upper. The primary use will be home defence and plinking and it should be light and easy to carry.

An example:

I also want a longer high-quality barrel, flat top, with monster optics. The primary use will be hunting groundhogs (yes, I know the laws) and longer distance tack driving.

An example: (20-24 inch)

I understand that you can change uppers with an AR. Would it be sensible to build one lower and swap uppers for different uses? Will accuracy suffer with the scoped system? Or with the difference in money should I just build a second lower to go along with it. One advantage I see is that I COULD also do that at a later date, along with adding a surpressor (my ultimate dream)

Thanks Guys!

Brian

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Swapping uppers back and forth

Only takes 2 pins to swap uppers! I've been thinking of getting a second setup for my A1...but money is a factor for me also...

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Luzerne County)

That's the beauty of the AR system! You can swap any manfs. (Mil-spec, which nearlly all are) upper with any mil spec lower. Some Colts are the exception (which use larger pins) but retrofit pins are available which allow that too. There really should not be any accuracy difference one way or the other. Just make sure the lower has a decent trigger in it so you can reap the most accuracy from each setup.
    Guns are good.
    If you can't fry it you shouldn't eat it
    Loud pipes save lives
    Mom spelled backwards spells....mom
    "Please don't squeeze the Charmin." ~ Mr. Whipple

(Philadelphia County)

I built both of my Uppers with RRA parts. The 20" varmint gun shown above is a lot like my build. I don't recommend longer than 20" as it becomes unwieldy. For your carbine, i recommend you go with a flat top and buy a carry handle to attach to it. A little more expensive, but if you decide to get optics like an EOtech in the future you'll be much happier.

(Washington County)

Accuracy shouldn't suffer much just from taking the upper off, as long as you don't take the scope off in the process. if that were the case, the point of impact would change every time you open it up to take the bolt out or do anything to the internals.

or, another option would be to get another lower and just have 2 AR's instead!

Vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA

(Centre County)

You can swap out uppers with no problems. I have a lower that is used for both the 14.5" carbine and the scoped 18" SPR. The optics and iron sights stay attached to each to maintain zero. I can use my suppressor on either. The AR-15 is kinda modular. And I gotta say it's fun to grab one rifle, toss another upper in your bag, and run out to the range and shoot two different rifles. It is my SHTF weapon system.

You can, and will, add another lower to the mix at some point in time when funds are available.

Gotta back MarcS up on the flat top carbine for your shorter defense rifle. Even if you never intend to buy an optic for it. Chances are you will and at that point you'll have to switch it out or buy a funky mount to get the correct cheek weld.

And yeah, with a complete upper, it is litterally a two pins and your done process.

(Westmoreland County)

Without me having to search the intetweb...what is the average cost of a barreled upper...A3 style?

(Centre County)

well, I just about peed my pants when I saw one listed on bushmaster for $675. 16" M4 style, A3 (flat top) upper with carry handle. Seems like they went up by about $100 from last year.

I'd shop around. There's likely a better offer out there.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by arrrrgh15 View Post
    well, I just about peed my pants when I saw one listed on bushmaster for $675. 16" M4 style, A3 (flat top) upper with carry handle. Seems like they went up by about $100 from last year.

I'd shop around. There's likely a better offer out there.
    Holy Crap! You can damn near find a complete gun for that! (DPMS for sure...Latrobe Army Navy has them for $699)

(Berks County)

This is where lycan sent me. www.del-ton.com

I havent gotten around to building yet but its coming up soon.
    Freedom is paid with the blood of those who understand what being free really means. (Me)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - 1775 Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast