Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Rifle High Power Matches

I am new to the sport and live in West Chester. I am looking for high power competitions in the area and any info I might need to get into this sport. I have the rifle and sling, I have been looking at coates and wondering if they are mandatory. My background is in Marine Corps marksmanship instruction and now want to transfer to civilian competition. Any help or suggestions would be great. Thank you all for your assistance.

Adam

(Chester County)

Default Re: Rifle High Power Matches

Look here: http://www.kfga.net/ They are over for 2009...will begin again in April 2010

We have them once a month, on 4th Saturday of month (sometimes 3rd Sat.), April - October

Between a rock and a hard place, Pennsylvania
    (York County)

Hello Adam,

I never saw anything in the rules that state that you have to have a coat to shoot highpower rifle. You see most of the shooters with the stiff Creedmoor coats because they help with the offhand slow fire scores. I personally have not gone to the Creedmoor coat yet because they are expensive, and family & food on the table come first. I do use a simple canvas shooting coat that have some rough patches in the elbows & shoulder to add a little more "grip" that I paid around $60-70 for a few years ago from champions choice. I managed to get an expert classifcation with a lot of used and second hand equipment, but I am sure I could bump up to master class with a creedmoor coat and some more practice, but that is a whole other story.

Here is a link with a lot of useful info including companies that cater to the competitive shooter: http://www.iowahighpower.com/hplinks/index.htm

Highpower competition can get very expensive, very fast so my biggest suggestion is to have fun, start with the basic equipment, gather equipment as you see fit,and over time learn for the other competitors about the ins and outs of shooting highpower rifle competition.

Hope this helps you out, and I also wanted to take a moment to thank you for your service in the Marine Corps.

Jeff

(York County)

Coats aren't mandatory, although if you continue in the sport you will want to get one. For now just start with the essentials and go from there. The national match forum at http://www.usrifleteams.com/forums/ is probably your best resource for information. Registration is required to view the forum. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Dan

(Montgomery County)

If you are interested in Highpower rifle and have a little time to kill after the holidays, you should stop by my store and I will give you all the club info and general info you might need to get started. The best full course range (200-300-600 yds) is right in New Holland Pa and if you are in Chester co you are not that far. I help run that match and our season starts in April and runs to Oct. There are also a number of other reduced course matches I can fill you in on plus give advice on the needed gear, and the not so needed but nice to have gear.

John Sylvester
    Seneca Arms Co
    116 Gravel Pike
    Green lane, Pa 18054

(Monroe County)

Like they said the jacket is not req, but very helpful.
    Champion Choice jackets are cheaper but very good.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Armstrong County)

The best match to get ready for Camp Perry is Reade Range. Its website is www.readerange.org. My picture is on there haha. As far as coats go, I have tried to get fitted with champions choice, champions shooter supply coats and creedmoor coats. the ONLY one that remotely fitted me right (for me) is creedmoor. The other brands didnt have enough rigidness for me. My dad likes a looser fitting champions choice leather coat though. It is all what you prefer.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Seneca Arms Co. Inc. View Post
    If you are interested in Highpower rifle and have a little time to kill after the holidays, you should stop by my store and I will give you all the club info and general info you might need to get started. The best full course range (200-300-600 yds) is right in New Holland Pa and if you are in Chester co you are not that far. I help run that match and our season starts in April and runs to Oct. There are also a number of other reduced course matches I can fill you in on plus give advice on the needed gear, and the not so needed but nice to have gear.

John Sylvester
    Seneca Arms Co
    116 Gravel Pike
    Green lane, Pa 18054
    What's the name of that range? I'd like to go out there and get started in high power as well.

(Montgomery County)

Here is a link to New Holland's web site. The 2010 Highpower rifle season dates have not been established just yet but will be posted on the web site when they are finalized. They will be listed under "Match Programs" and not the under the precision rifle programs.

http://www.nhrpc.org/

(Chester County)

John,

Joined New Holland, met Dave (great guy) now I just have to wait on Rock River to fill my order! Any suggestions on ammo? I have been looking at black hils but it looks like it is hard to find. Also looking into reloading, I am a budget shooter, any suggestions here. I am thinking I might make it to your shop to pick your brain this weekend but it depends on the weather. I look forward to hearing back and hopefully meeting you. thanks for all your time and help.

Adam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast