Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Sig 522 or SW M&P 15-22?

I'm feeling like a new plinker. Went to my preferred local funshop to compare the Sig with the S&W. Unfortunately they didn't have the Sig and weren't terribly optimistic about how soon they'd be getting it. They did have the S&W in stock though.

I'm a Sigaholic so I went in there a bit biased. I must say though that the S&W was impressive and despite all of the internet ramblings about plastic parts it felt solid and well-made. I'd certainly have no problem owning one.

Has anyone had the chance to compare both of these rifles, I'd love to hear some observations. It's certainly not a life-altering decision; I'm sure I'd be very happy with either but I like to be an educated consumer.

Thanks

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Sig 522 or SW M&P 15-22?

Someone here has both, and maybe a GSG too, and will chime in.

I've handled all the mil-sim .22LRs at various funshows and own a SIG522 and WASR22 AKM. The WASR22 is still my fave, with the SIG as the 2nd.

Both are purpose-made .22LR versions of their bigger siblings, and aside from some parts on the 522, are not simplified replicas.

The S&W M&P15-22 is very nice and is on my wishlist for 2010, after more mags for the WASR and SIG.

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks nfafan. I'm hoping to be able to fondle the Sig at the upcoming Valley Forge Gun Show so I can make a decision. Would love to hear more comments on these two weapons.

ps- nfafan, that WASR22 is sweet!!

(Monroe County)

im loving the SIG, its so much better then my GSG.

it has just enough weight and is balanced pretty well. i have yet to have a single problem with any ammo after about 1000 rounds through it. there is one concern tho, one of the e-clips that holds the spring rod in the bolt, can and has fallen off on the rifle. luckily most of the time you can find it but field stripping the rifle and shaking out the lower. it will fall in there most of the time.

even with the clip not in place, the gun will still function 100% until you strip it to clean it. then the bolt comes apart.

the gun is very accurate. heavy cold forged barrel gets an A+ in my books compared to the GSG-5's puny little tube it calls a barrel, even tho mine was always dead accurate too. it has a flash hider, and is threaded to accept any AR style one.

i just ordered an EOTech clone and a 4x Mag on a flip to side mount from an airsoft company. it will hold up to a 22LR no problem. should have them in sometime this week.

compared to the M&P15-22 tho, the Sig is a bit heavier, but not by much, and feels alot more sturdy. i still havent had a chance to shoot the Smith yet tho so i cant give a full impression on it.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Philadelphia County)

Good info rovert, thanks. I guess I'm still biased toward the Sig but if I can get out to the gunshow I'll probably buy whichever one feels better (and is a better deal ).

(Carbon County)

I haven't handled the Sig at all but I do have the S&W MP15-22. I love it, it's light, but doesn't feel bad at all. The only problem I had was the ejector in it. It is VERY sensitive to being bent and it will start having ejection problems if you are not careful. I bent mine the slightest little bit with a bore snake and started having stovepipes and FTE's. I took it to Pa Patriot and he figured out what the problem was and fixed it for me. I put about 200 rounds through it after he fixed it and it ran flawlessly.

Dead on accurate right out of the box, and fun to shoot. I also had Pa Patriot thread my barrel for a flash hider and eventually a suppressor. I threw an Eotech clone on it and want to get a 3x magnifier eventually.

As far as being all polymer, I think it feels sturdier than I was expecting.

Sorry I don't have the Sig to compare it to. It is going to come down to a matter of personal preference, really. I was looking at the Colt/Umarex at the same time and decided to go with the Smith. Didn't know that Sig was making it at the time.

Jim
    If zombies start chasing us, I'm going to trip you!

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by rovert97 View Post
    im loving the SIG, its so much better then my GSG.

it has just enough weight and is balanced pretty well. i have yet to have a single problem with any ammo after about 1000 rounds through it. there is one concern tho, one of the e-clips that holds the spring rod in the bolt, can and has fallen off on the rifle. luckily most of the time you can find it but field stripping the rifle and shaking out the lower. it will fall in there most of the time.

even with the clip not in place, the gun will still function 100% until you strip it to clean it. then the bolt comes apart.

the gun is very accurate. heavy cold forged barrel gets an A+ in my books compared to the GSG-5's puny little tube it calls a barrel, even tho mine was always dead accurate too. it has a flash hider, and is threaded to accept any AR style one.

i just ordered an EOTech clone and a 4x Mag on a flip to side mount from an airsoft company. it will hold up to a 22LR no problem. should have them in sometime this week.

compared to the M&P15-22 tho, the Sig is a bit heavier, but not by much, and feels alot more sturdy. i still havent had a chance to shoot the Smith yet tho so i cant give a full impression on it.
    I would let you shoot mine, and you are not too far away either. if you are interested, let me know.
    If zombies start chasing us, I'm going to trip you!

(Monroe County)

still waiting on the magnifier on the flip to side mount, but the EOTech replica showed up and it looks great, even tho my picture taking skills are horrid.

Last edited by rovert97; December 9th, 2009 at 05:46 PM.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Lancaster County)

I have an M&P 15-22 and it has quickly become my most shot gun. I love it! the fact it has quad rails make it quite easy to mount tacti-cool accessories and its actually quite accurate when using half decent ammo! Ive put around 500 rounds through mine with 2 jams, both when my friend was shooting and using cheapo ammo. Solid, fun gun.

Check out my review a few pages back.

+1 For 15-22

(Luzerne County)

I just bought the m&p 15-22 today and can't wait to try it out. It just feels nice in my hands so my vote is smith but, you can not go wrong with a sig. If anyone can tell me where to get the eotech clone I would be grateful please send me a pm so I do not hijack this thread. Thanx, Joe

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast