Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    (Cambria County)

Arrow Re: Sig 522 or SW M&P 15-22?

Was at my local tonight to compare these 2 sweeties. Want to get one for my 13 year old's first gun.

I really liked the 522, and am a little leery of some of the FTE issues I've read about with the 15-22. But, as I handled the 2 rifles I noticed that to me the M&P "felt" better in the end.

The 15-22 has a far more accessible "safety" lever. I couldn't put the SIG into "Fire" mode without breaking away from my holding position ( due to size of pistol grip).

I like the metal receiver top on the SIG though. But M&P was lighter.
    Also, the 15-22 has a more user friendly mag release button to me.

The SIG comes with NO sights! The SIG was $80 MORE for the SWAT version. (rails).

I loved the folding stock on the SIG.

Anyway, if I could just BLEND the features of both guns into ONE>>>

I will be choosing the M&P A1 comp version (threaded barrel, bird cage A1 hider). Much less expensive. it has rails galore and comes with basic sights and can be accessorized as my son wants in the end.

Tough choice for me,,, probably be happy with either gun though. >>> assuming the M&P is reliable.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mK2JYfZAmA When will America become America?

(Berks County)

Default Re: Sig 522 or SW M&P 15-22?

Quote Originally Posted by CenterTree View Post
    Was at my local tonight to compare these 2 sweeties. Want to get one for my 13 year old's first gun.

I really liked the 522, and am a little leery of some of the FTE issues I've read about with the 15-22. But, as I handled the 2 rifles I noticed that to me the M&P "felt" better in the end.

The 15-22 has a far more accessible "safety" lever. I couldn't put the SIG into "Fire" mode without breaking away from my holding position ( due to size of pistol grip).

I like the metal receiver top on the SIG though. But M&P was lighter.
    Also, the 15-22 has a more user friendly mag release button to me.

The SIG comes with NO sights! The SIG was $80 MORE for the SWAT version. (rails).

I loved the folding stock on the SIG.

Anyway, if I could just BLEND the features of both guns into ONE>>>

I will be choosing the M&P A1 comp version (threaded barrel, bird cage A1 hider). Much less expensive. it has rails galore and comes with basic sights and can be accessorized as my son wants in the end.

Tough choice for me,,, probably be happy with either gun though. >>> assuming the M&P is reliable.
    I have the SIG myself, I love it. I've shot 300 plus rds of Federal Auto Match with no FTF so far . I will also be picking up the M&P 15 MOE with the Magpul Stock and Grip and Folding MBUS Sights. I saw one at the Harrisburg show. Hope to see another one at the Valley Forge show

(Allegheny County)

Understand the issue with the missing iron sights on the 522 - SIG blew smoke up everyone's ass about included ironsights for 2010 rifles.

If its any consolation, SIG522 mags are cheaper, easier to find than the M&P. Plus the availability of the 50rd drum for the SIG. If you shoot one, you'll understand.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by nfafan View Post
    Understand the issue with the missing iron sights on the 522 - SIG blew smoke up everyone's ass about included ironsights for 2010 rifles.

If its any consolation, SIG522 mags are cheaper, easier to find than the M&P. Plus the availability of the 50rd drum for the SIG. If you shoot one, you'll understand.
    The sights will always be my biggest issue with the Sig 522, since it makes the gun unshootable straight out of the box, which is ridiculous considering the price you are paying for a .22 from a reputable company. The good news is that it's a .22, so you don't need to shell out $$$ for a working optic. And yes, the 50 rounders are, in my mind, the most fun accessory for the .22 that you can buy.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew17019 View Post
    The sights will always be my biggest issue with the Sig 522, since it makes the gun unshootable straight out of the box, which is ridiculous considering the price you are paying for a .22 from a reputable company. <snip>
    I'm on the same wavelength over the missing ironsights - only a bit more frenetic. I'm still pissed over the pre-release hype of the supposed-to-be-included RDS.
    Anyway, I'm half thinking that if the new Umarex HK416 turns out to be decent, I'd possibly consider getting one and giving the 522 to my son, just to get the SIG product out of my house.
    Last edited by nfafan; September 13th, 2010 at 10:19 PM.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by nfafan View Post
    I'm on the same wavelength over the missing ironsights - only a bit more frenetic. I'm still pissed over the pre-release hype of the supposed-to-be-included RDS.
    Anyway, I'm half thinking that if the new Umarex HK416 turns out to be decent, I'd possibly consider getting one and giving the 522 to my son, just to get the SIG product out of my house.
    I saw the HK416 this weekend. It looked and felt good, does it shoot, I don't know. I hope to pick up the M&P this weekend. I think S&W still has the rebate on the five free mags

(York County)

Still waiting to compare the new MP5's with the older GSG's.....that'll be the real Umarex test for me.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by JMIS View Post
    I saw the HK416 this weekend. It looked and felt good, does it shoot, I don't know. I hope to pick up the M&P this weekend. I think S&W still has the rebate on the five free mags
    The rebate is only for M&P 15 models in .556 not the .22LR.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeD22 View Post
    The rebate is only for M&P 15 models in .556 not the .22LR.
    I just found out

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456