Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default KCI vs Glock Magazine Comparison

This comparison focuses on build quality and appearance. I'm not going to spend too much time covering the function because there's not much to say. They both work. The KCI may not have a reputation for reliability but the five magazines I own have performed perfectly. My test gun is a Ruger PC carbine in 9mm. I don't own a Glock pistol.

Mold marks are way more apparent on KCI but I sanded my base pads so it didn't look so awful. Glock feels more robust in addition to weighing slightly more. 4.3 ounces for KCI, 4.5 for Glock. 19.0 ounces loaded for KCI and 19.2 ounces loaded for Glock.

For ease of loading, not a fair comparison because Glock mags are brand new. Suffice it to say both are very difficult to load without uplula. KCI has a larger font on the round count though!

KCI spring is 9" and Glock is 11". Buy a Wolff XP spring for a few dollars if this concerns you. *I should add that the spring may be shorter because of spring compression from repeated use over the last several months where the Glock mag I disassembled for this comparison has been loaded once.*
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/51...ct-extra-power

And now for function ....
    Over 1000 rounds through KCI in 4 months
    2 malfunctions, both ammo related. 2 Federal aluminum case rounds that fed from the magazine but wouldn't chamber. I tried running the bolt several times on one and it would not go, the other was similar so I pulled it out and just tossed it aside. Can Glock do better than 0 mag related issues?

My conclusion is that there is a definite difference in quality between the two but my experience has been that the KCI does feed reliably. Is there enough of an improvement from KCI to Glock to justify the additional cost? You be the judge. One thing the KCI does offer over the Glock is the larger font for the round count. My eyes are fine so I can see either but my wife wears glasses and says the KCI is much easier for her to read. If no other criteria applies to you, I paid $12.99 per magazine for the KCI and $28.49 for the Glock magazines. More than double the cost but is it double the quality? In my opinion, no. Share your thoughts.

Last edited by Misery Loves Shotguns; October 31st, 2018 at 07:51 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: KCI vs Glock Magazine Comparison

I buy factory glock mags mostly, have also had good luck with PMAGs.

Some KCI mags came with a G23 I got used, they hit the bin the first time I went to the range. Junk, IMO.

(Allegheny County)

I run KCI mages in an 45 acp Aero Survival Rifle. It didn't like the glock mags. Zero issues.

As usual, the product made by Glock is the uglier choice.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Chester County)

When Glock brand mags are $17 a pop, shipped, I see no reason to bother experimenting.

http://www.combatarmory.com/glock-19...-gen-magazine/

http://www.combatarmory.com/glock-17...ound-magazine/
    I'm only here for the wood c-rings.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by ianb1116 View Post
    When Glock brand mags are $17 a pop, shipped, I see no reason to bother experimenting.

http://www.combatarmory.com/glock-19...-gen-magazine/

http://www.combatarmory.com/glock-17...ound-magazine/
    I guess I didn't specify but I'm using these in a Ruger PC carbine. I don't own a Glock pistol.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Misery Loves Shotguns View Post
    I guess I didn't specify but I'm using these in a Ruger PC carbine. I don't own a Glock pistol.
    That definitely does make a difference. I’m good on mags but lack the rifle. Will have to remedy soon.

(Berks County)

Thanks Ian. I was paying $19 from Natchez. Better deal. I bought a boatload of kci a while back at half that. Sanded the ones that wouldn’t drop free. Never used them.

I can’t see buying cheap Korean mag and putting in expensive wolf springs. I do replace all springs on used or police trade ins. Usually they need it badly.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Thanks Ian. I was paying $19 from Natchez. Better deal. I bought a boatload of kci a while back at half that. Sanded the ones that wouldn’t drop free. Never used them.

I can’t see buying cheap Korean mag and putting in expensive wolf springs. I do replace all springs on used or police trade ins. Usually they need it badly.
    The only magazines I've used that drop free from my PCC magwell are magpul. I have a Pmag 21 that drops free but the way the magazine release works, you have to drop and strip with your thumb anyway so that doesn't matter as much as it would with a pistol. I definitely wouldn't be able to stand it if I had to strip magazines from a pistol because they wouldn't drop free though.

(Lebanon County)

I bought a ton of used LEO surplus (some marked, some not) standard capacity factory Glock mags in 9mm and .40 from AIM Surplus or Widners. They don't always have them. Get on their email lists and set alerts on AIM. I don't think I have ever paid more than $9.99. Never replaced a spring, never had a mag related malfunction. I have one out of, wow, I realize now I've lost count of how many I have, more than 50, that doesn't drop free and also doesn't activate the slide stop after the last round. I marked it so I know when I grab it at the range.

I've also bought some .357 sig marked mags on gunbroker when the price was right. I know the .357 works fine in the .40 mags, but I wanted some anyway.

looks like Aim has the .40's but they are up to $10.95 now
    https://www.aimsurplus.com/product.a...&groupid=10042

Sold out of the 9mm, which were up to $13.95
    https://www.aimsurplus.com/product.a...tory+Magazines

Thanks for the review. I have always wondered about the KCI mags. They had a lot of bad reviews early on, then kind of fell off the radar. If they have fixed their issues then more power to them. Maybe it's worth giving them a try. I have never been able to find the real high capacity factory mags cheap, so maybe I will try KCI in those.
    If you don't know who your state legislators are go here:
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/index.cfm
    put your zip plus 4 in the box in the upper right hand corner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast