Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Grinder review - Cabelas Pro Grinder 450

Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Lancaster County)

Maybe a bunch of you hunters could get together and have a sauage party? Everyone brings some equipment and you spend the day grinding your meat.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Maybe a bunch of you hunters could get together and have a sauage party? Everyone brings some equipment and you spend the day grinding your meat.
    Been there done that.

Seriously, done that. Amazes me how lazy a few people get and let others do all the work while they drink beer and leave with more meat than they brought.

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Been there done that.

Seriously, done that. Amazes me how lazy a few people get and let others do all the work while they drink beer and leave with more meat than they brought.
    kinky...

i don't really know anyone so i'd have to just let me wife grind my meat while i season and prep everything.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Susquehanna County)

Back when Gander Mtn was a great place to tag watch I was a Really nice grinder setup but was not willing to pay $300

I figured Gander Mtn did not make anything, they just market it.. so I snapped a picture of the ID plate on the display model.
    Less than 15 minutes of searching the interweb I found the company that actually makes the grinders. I think we paid less than $150 delivered from the manufacturer.
    Looks identical except it has their name on the body instead of Gander Mountain.
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Im using a cabelas, its not even a year old and just about had it. My kitchen aide broke due to grinding.
    There are grinders that will do 250lbs an hour but I want to have someone with experience with one
    before I buy it. I hate buying something just to find out it sucks.
    I'm surprised you had a problem with the cabela's grinder. I've had this one https://www.cabelas.com/product/home...2.uts?slotId=2 for 6 or 7 years now and haven't had a single problem. I make 30 to 60#'s of sausage or jerky at a time, any more than that takes too damn long for me.

I did just get the new LEM catalog over the weekend, they make a good grinder. I know a few guys that do processing that use these.
    https://www.lemproducts.com/category...-meat-grinders

(Berks County)

OK, I got my Hobart N-50 apart. I had to remove the rear cover and reach in deep from the back end to remove about six screws that hold the head on. This thing has a head like a Bridgeport on it. I have at least one issue, probably two and the gearing in the head will have to come out to fix it. It has some grease in there that looks like 1940's vintage stuff but all of the gears look good. I have never been a gear guy and am leery of taking this apart myself. Any ideas on how bad the gears in this would be to R&R?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    OK, I got my Hobart N-50 apart. I had to remove the rear cover and reach in deep from the back end to remove about six screws that hold the head on. This thing has a head like a Bridgeport on it. I have at least one issue, probably two and the gearing in the head will have to come out to fix it. It has some grease in there that looks like 1940's vintage stuff but all of the gears look good. I have never been a gear guy and am leery of taking this apart myself. Any ideas on how bad the gears in this would be to R&R?
    I got all my replacement parts from Amazon, and they were fairly inexpensive. The grease is supposed to be rather viscous, but you can order new grease as well. I don't know the inside of that particular machine, but I doubt it's much different than the KA versions. There should be a worm gear that drives a top gear on the planetary. That top gear is a sacrificial gear. I know on the KA's you can just order the gear, or the entire top gear assembly which includes the bearings. I found it was easier just to order the assembly then muck around with trying to get that gear out and back in again. Clean up the grease as best as you can and just order some new and squeeze in there before you reassemble it.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Quote Originally Posted by P89 View Post
    I'm surprised you had a problem with the cabela's grinder. I've had this one https://www.cabelas.com/product/home...2.uts?slotId=2 for 6 or 7 years now and haven't had a single problem. I make 30 to 60#'s of sausage or jerky at a time, any more than that takes too damn long for me.

I did just get the new LEM catalog over the weekend, they make a good grinder. I know a few guys that do processing that use these.
    https://www.lemproducts.com/category...-meat-grinders
    I have the same or similar grinder (cabelas) it does about 7lbs in ten minutes. Gotta be the worst
    grinder Ive ever had. I'm leaning toward the carnivore.

LEM and Weston both make good, robust, dedicated grinders for less than $1k, but it's still going to set you back at least $450. I'm currently running a Smokehouse Chef meat grinding attachment on my KitchenAid. The KT works OK for small batches, but I can tell the larger batches are starting to take their toll on it. New gears are in its future. I use mine weekly, so I will probably kill it dead (as in parrot) eventually. When that happens, I might suck it up and buy a Weston #32 or LEM #32.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast